Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hercules!

Old 02-20-07, 09:15 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hercules!

EDIT: PICTURES ADDED IN POST #16.

Alright, so I bought this old Hercules, and besides the fact that it's awesome, I know nothing about it. My flash is broken, so I can't take pictures at night(even inside), but here's one I took of the chainring with my bike light on it:

and here's one from the CL ad:

Anyway, even though it's probably useless without pictures, I'll go ahead and describe it because I'm excited and my wife doesn't want to talk about it.

The non-drive side dropout is stamped "6305", and that's the only number I can find on the bike.

There is a set of eyelets on the rear dropouts, a set on the fork ends, and one single eyelet on the drive-side seat stay, about 1/3 of the way up from the dropout. There are also 2 attachments for a frame pump on the seat tube.

The seat is destroyed, but it is a leather Persons.

Someone in the CL thread said it was a Sturmey-Archer hub, but all it says is "Made in England", and it's a flip flop, with both a fixed cog and a freewheel. I haven't counted teeth, but the gearing is way steeper than anything I'd ride on the street. It is not skip-tooth.

The rims are say "DUNLOP 26 X 1 1/4 E.A.1.M. MAD IN ENGLAND. U.K. PAT.182604

There are grease ports with little flip caps on both hubs, and the top of the BB shell on the drive side.

There are no markings on the underside of the BB shell.

The lugs all have oval cutouts.

The fork crown has a metal (chrome?) cover.

The handlebars and cranks have no identifying markings, and all the stem says is "Made in England", on the front/top of the clamp area.

The rubber grips are in good shape, and say "JOHN BULL CLUB GRIP"

The brakes are unmarked, and are comprised of very thin metal plates. The rear one is screwed in through the eat stay bridg (normal), but the front fork is not drilled for a brake, so it is clamped on the fork with clamps that attach near the brake pads

The brake levers do not match, and they are both unmarked. The one on the right is hooked up to the front brake, and the cable housing is extremely thick. The other one has normal sized housing.

The paint is black all over, except for the head tube which is gold. It looks like that was possibly done by hand at one point, but I'm not sure.

The headbadge has a big HC in the center, on the top it says "HERCULES CYCLE & MOTOR Co Ltd" and on the bottom "BRITANIA WKs BIRMINGHAM"

The decal on the top of the seat tube says "Guaranteed Chromium Plated"

And the fabulous chainring says HERCULES, as in the picture.

And there is a rear, steel fender with 3 things on it: A Hercules/England decal similar to the one in the middle of the seat tube, a triangle at the end of the fender with a word on each side: "can't make it out", "Strength" and "Hercules"(on the base), and a metal plate with the word HERCULES cut out, which is held on by the screws that attach the fender stays.

Alright, that's all for now. I'm not touching anything yet, and tomorrow there will be plenty of pictures. Any ideas so far?

Last edited by braingel; 02-21-07 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 09:38 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hercules, as you'll discover after you visit Sheldon Brown's web site and Compendium of All Things Useful About Cycling, was one of many British cycle manufacturers right up until their parent company bought Raleigh and moved the works from Birmingham to Nottingham in 1960.

Made in Birmingham means pre-1960, I believe.

I had a mid-50's Hercules Tourist for a while. In a moment of stupidity I sold it to a friend who'd had one as a kid. At least he rides and enjoys it. Neat bike.
Old 02-20-07, 10:04 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You did it! Very cool! I'm glad somebody who will appreciate it got it!
Old 02-20-07, 10:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
Sounds cool. I'd guess that rear hub is a Brampton. That single eyelet on the rear stay is for a rear lamp. In terms of age, the EA1 rims, oiler holes, those bars, and rear hub indicate late 40s-early 50s vintage, probably on the early side of that range. Sorry not to be more precise than that.

Neal
Old 02-20-07, 10:18 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
You did it! Very cool! I'm glad somebody who will appreciate it got it!
Me too, although I was right about it being too small....but I think a longer seatpost should make it workable.
Old 02-20-07, 10:24 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by braingel
Me too, although I was right about it being too small....but I think a longer seatpost should make it workable.
Well, just remember, it fits me.

Very cool crankset, by the way! Congratulations!
Old 02-20-07, 10:29 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How tall are you? Didn't you say 32" standover was right? Because I'm 5'11, and a 30-31" inch standover is about right for me, but this bike's standover is something more along the lines of a 28". It's upstairs though, so I haven't measured yet.
Old 02-20-07, 10:33 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 5'8" but by vintage bike sizing, I take a 32" standover height (they fit us to larger bikes back then.).
Old 02-20-07, 10:44 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if it ends up not working for me you can have first shot at it, but I wouldn't get excited
Old 02-20-07, 10:55 PM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with nlerner, I would think it's a forties bike, but I'm no expert. I couldn't resist putting up some pictures of the 1959 Hercules I finished a couple of months ago. It doesn't have that cool chainwheel, but it does represent one of the last "real" Hercules made. It's also too small for me, and I haven't ridden it yet because it's too darn cold here! This was a fun project because, although these bikes were heavy, they are of very high quality for this type.

David L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hercules Finished small.jpg (90.3 KB, 108 views)
Hercules Left Side small.jpg (91.6 KB, 83 views)
Hercules Seat Tube small.jpg (70.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-20-07, 11:02 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tenordl
I agree with nlerner, I would think it's a forties bike, but I'm no expert. I couldn't resist putting up some pictures of the 1959 Hercules I finished a couple of months ago. It doesn't have that cool chainwheel, but it does represent one of the last "real" Hercules made. It's also too small for me, and I haven't ridden it yet because it's too darn cold here! This was a fun project because, although these bikes were heavy, they are of very high quality for this type.

David L.
Nice! Your decals are in much better shape than mine.......mswantak?

Also, anyone know what's up with the gearing on this thing? It's got track gearing and the geometry is anything but.

EDIT: nevermind about the track gearing, I hadn't counted teeth, just guessed

Last edited by braingel; 02-21-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 04:13 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I will buy into it being from the 40's. The hub may actually be a Herc hub. I have the Herc that Pastor Bob found in his magical town dump. Ours is a ladies frame single speed freewheel with rod brakes One thing I have discovered in my reading is that Hercules was one of the largest manufacturers of cycles in England next to Raleigh and made many of their own parts. They are difficult to date accurately. What does the Headbadge look like?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-21-07, 04:38 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm loving that chainring a lot. You should just clean it up and ride it like it is - as a kind of scorcher. Sweeeeet. Hey - no taking it off sweet ramps though.
Old 02-21-07, 06:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
I'm loving that chainring a lot. You should just clean it up and ride it like it is - as a kind of scorcher. Sweeeeet. Hey - no taking it off sweet ramps though.
+1
The unique chain rings of the old bikes is one thing that really draws me to them. I love the old Herc, Triumph, Royal Enfield and Raleigh Heron rings. You can tell what something is from 50 yards away Today all the bikes look pretty much the same. I have considered having a buddy of mine CNC me an alloy Raleigh crank for my club racer I would have the nice Heron design but in a much lighter crank

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-21-07, 01:21 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sammyboy
What does "scorcher" mean?
Old 02-21-07, 01:29 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...here are some pictures:

clamp on front brake:

grease port on bb shell:

persons saddle:

And, even though the top tube is the right length for me, the standover is super low. My first thought was to get a new seatpost, but when I took it out just now it is much longer than any that come on 70's bikes, and should do just fine. It's a good thing too, because it's weird and probably not very replacable...it's shaped like this : "7", with the seat clamping onto the horizontal extension. Oh, actually, if I replace the seat the new one will have a different clamp style, so I guess I am going to have to replace the seatpost.
Old 02-21-07, 01:35 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing, that is a sweet find!

Bizarre to clamp the brakes on, though....

If I could make a suggestion, I'll bet you could have new leather custom-made for that saddle. Somebody does it, it's just a matter of finding them.
Old 02-21-07, 01:36 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty cool find, whats the gearing? Doesn't look that bad to me, maybe 50X18? Thats pretty normal for that time period. Single speed bikes were typically geared a little higher in those days since the '60s on
Old 02-21-07, 01:54 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Thanks for sharing, that is a sweet find!

Bizarre to clamp the brakes on, though....

If I could make a suggestion, I'll bet you could have new leather custom-made for that saddle. Somebody does it, it's just a matter of finding them.

Nice idea...I was thinking about getting a sprung Brooks for it, but getting the leather redone would be really cool unless the price was up in the stratosphere. I just kiiled my bike budget until I sell another one anyway, though, so no matter what happens it'll be a little while.

Originally Posted by divineAndbright
Pretty cool find, whats the gearing? Doesn't look that bad to me, maybe 50X18? Thats pretty normal for that time period. Single speed bikes were typically geared a little higher in those days since the '60s on
50/14. That's crazy to ride on the street, no matter who you are. 50/18 is resonable, but my fixed gear is geared 39/15, which I like, so I'll just get a 20-tooth cog for it.
Old 02-21-07, 01:55 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Interesting to note that the rear fender doesn't have the ubiquitous white end on it. That may help with the dating.Thanks for the pictures! That is the same head badge that I have on mine. IIRC what I was told correctly that was in use from the mid 30's until around 1950.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-21-07, 01:59 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? I counted 48 tooth from the sprocket picture, The cog the chain is currently on looks 16, the other looks bigger. I had a single speed I geared 50X16 and it did just fine.. lil slow up the hills but hey! Took that thing on quite a few 100+km rides too.
Old 02-21-07, 02:06 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
Really? I counted 48 tooth from the sprocket picture, The cog the chain is currently on looks 16, the other looks bigger. I had a single speed I geared 50X16 and it did just fine.. lil slow up the hills but hey! Took that thing on quite a few 100+km rides too.
You're right...48 on the chainring, but the cog is 14. The freewheel is 18. 48/16 is still too high though, I used to ride 48/16, and then 46/16, and they both killed my knees.
Old 02-21-07, 02:08 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts
That is looking very 1940s to me or maybe earlier given that seriously raked fork. Fwiw, my two 1930s Raleighs have Terry saddles, still in decent shape. Cool find!

Neal
Old 02-21-07, 05:02 PM
braingel
one word, not two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I take it there's no way to date it by the serial #?
Old 02-21-07, 05:06 PM
le brad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chainring is amazing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.