Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Is car-free becoming mainstream?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Is car-free becoming mainstream?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-16, 09:53 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
It's a question of looking at the overall costs and benefits, and at who pays. Most analyses show that car drivers underpay for the direct benefits they get, offloading costs onto others, and driving more than they otherwise would.
...and, 'offloading costs onto others' is code for Americans driving their SUVs are causing global warming, hence: the LCF movement is needed to save the world.
Old 12-05-16, 10:33 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
...and, 'offloading costs onto others' is code for Americans driving their SUVs are causing global warming, hence: the LCF movement is needed to save the world.
Yes, it is a conspiracy.
Old 12-05-16, 11:00 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
No, it isn't.

If I understand cooker correctly, he simply meant that personal motor vehicle use is, in fact, heavily subsidized. Those of us who own/drive or otherwise make use of personal motor vehicles simply do not pay anywhere near the actual 'hard' costs of our activity on a per-km basis. Those deficits are made up from somewhere, and that 'somewhere' is local/municipal, provincial/state, and federal treasuries.The question of more extensive soft costs (e.g. environmental, health-care related) can be debated; the question whether or not that subsidization is either necessary or justifiable, in its present or some modified form, can be debated; but the existence of that effective subsidy is beyond question.

One can make that statement without asserting either expressly or by implication anything about who or what is causing global warming (if global warming is indeed occurring) nor about whether or not "the LCF movement is needed to save the world." Those are entirely separate questions.
Old 12-05-16, 11:05 AM
McBTC

Yes, it is a conspiracy.
...or, an ideologically-driven collective delusion that leads to the quixotic view that the benefits of modern living are without value to society.
Old 12-05-16, 11:50 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

...or, an ideologically-driven collective delusion that leads to the quixotic view that the benefits of modern living are without value to society.
Since what you just said bears zero resemblance to my position, one really has to wonder who is being blinded by ideology here.
Old 12-05-16, 12:12 PM
McBTC

Since what you just said bears zero resemblance to my position, one really has to wonder who is being blinded by ideology here.

Love of bikes and the sport of cycling is where everyone on the bike forums are at, except for a few: LCF as a movement -- which primarily is an urban phenomenon -- has nothing to do with that.

Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western World is environmentalism. Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice for urban atheists. Why do I say it’s a religion? Well, just look at the beliefs. If you look carefully, you see that environmentalism is in fact a perfect 21st century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths.

There’s an initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there’s a fall from grace into a state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions there is a judgment day coming for us all. We are all energy sinners, doomed to die, unless we seek salvation, which is now called sustainability. Sustainability is salvation in the church of the environment. Just as organic food is its communion, that pesticide-free wafer that the right people with the right beliefs, imbibe.

Eden, the fall of man, the loss of grace, the coming doomsday—these are deeply held mythic structures. They are profoundly conservative beliefs. They may even be hard-wired in the brain, for all I know. I certainly don’t want to talk anybody out of them, as I don’t want to talk anybody out of a belief that Jesus Christ is the son of God who rose from the dead. But the reason I don’t want to talk anybody out of these beliefs is that I know that I can’t talk anybody out of them. These are not facts that can be argued. These are issues of faith. ~Michael Crichton
Old 12-05-16, 12:59 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Love of bikes and the sport of cycling is where everyone on the bike forums are at, except for a few:
Yes, and clearly you are one of the few who has no interest in discussing love of bikes and sport - that's why you spend all your time here. LOL
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=663117
Old 12-05-16, 02:07 PM
McBTC

Yes, and clearly you are one of the few who has no interest in discussing love of bikes and sport - that's why you spend all your time here...

[/url]
... tacitly admitting the urban-centered LCF movement really has nothing to do with the Bike Forums where thousands of people -- who I feel more accurately represent the mainstream -- meet to discuss their love of bikes and cycling but, how does that make me among a relative few believers in the anti-modernist religion of LCF movement?
Old 12-05-16, 03:32 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... tacitly admitting the urban-centered LCF movement really has nothing to do with the Bike Forums where thousands of people -- who I feel more accurately represent the mainstream -- meet to discuss their love of bikes and cycling but, how does that make me among a relative few believers in the anti-modernist religion of LCF movement?
Bicycles and LCF are tightly intertwined for me. I don't just love bicycles. I particularly like doing all of my errands and shopping with my bike. I find it really thrilling and cool as sh$& that I can do so much with my bike in a naturally sustaining way.

I would not be compelled to live car free without a bicycle. It wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Old 12-05-16, 03:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Mod note: if posters don't have something to contribute to the discussion of this thread, please leave. Repeated vehement arguments against LCF are not in the spirit of this thread.
Old 12-05-16, 03:50 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western World is environmentalism. Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice for urban atheists. Why do I say it’s a religion? Well, just look at the beliefs. If you look carefully, you see that environmentalism is in fact a perfect 21st century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths.

There’s an initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there’s a fall from grace into a state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions there is a judgment day coming for us all. We are all energy sinners, doomed to die, unless we seek salvation, which is now called sustainability. Sustainability is salvation in the church of the environment. Just as organic food is its communion, that pesticide-free wafer that the right people with the right beliefs, imbibe.

Eden, the fall of man, the loss of grace, the coming doomsday—these are deeply held mythic structures. They are profoundly conservative beliefs. They may even be hard-wired in the brain, for all I know. I certainly don’t want to talk anybody out of them, as I don’t want to talk anybody out of a belief that Jesus Christ is the son of God who rose from the dead. But the reason I don’t want to talk anybody out of these beliefs is that I know that I can’t talk anybody out of them. These are not facts that can be argued. These are issues of faith. ~Michael Crichton
This would be an argument in favor of LCF becoming more mainstream, as more people accept and adopt this mindset. Instead of being seen as a reversion or demotion -- oh, that poor soul, look at them, without a car... -- it's seen as an aspiration, a position of elevated status. It's not "kooky," it's a measured, moral, and ethically superior existence. It is now cool to LCF in many circles.

OTOH, it is something of a status symbol, and an indicator of wealth. If one can afford to live CF in an urban area, generally you are paying through the nose for that privilege -- much higher cost of living, which mere lack of an automobile and associated costs do not mitigate.

And as a cyclist, one might also be buying into Campbell's Hero mythos...
Old 12-05-16, 04:06 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

It's interesting that you are saying a love of bikes and cycling is mainstream. Can you elaborate on that? Probably lots of people have a generally positive recollection of cycling as kids but the vast majority of the public do not "love bikes and cycling" as adults as far as I can tell. Certainly competitive cycling is very much a minority sport, practised by a very few people compared to baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc. and cycling is way down the list of popular exercises well below running and working out in a gym. Very far from being a mainstream pastime.

Last edited by cooker; 12-05-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 05:18 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
drinking oil

Well and argument for LCF can be made for the recent problem with the pipe line. It will span four states goes thru Native American land and was supposed to go under a river that contains a major water supply source. The pipe line will move something like,, 40k barrels a day when complete. When you think about it from a view from afar ,,,, you know humans have gone crazy with car production. But we must move forward with production our economy depends on it . Well at least the economy according to the powerful oil companies. I believe the old saying is true however "be the change you want to see"

Last edited by rossiny; 12-05-16 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 05:22 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rossiny
Well and argument for LCF can be made for the recent problem with the pipe line. It will span four states goes thru Native American land and was supposed to go under a river that contains a major water supply source. The pipe line will move something like,, 40k barrels a day when complete. When you think about it from a view from afar ,,,, you know humans have gone crazy with car production.
Thankfully it's been stopped for now at least https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...?client=safari
Old 12-05-16, 05:25 PM
rossiny

I think it will be rerouted , already billions spent on it. When you think of how many barrels will be pumped thru this pipe, under ground,,, it BOGGLES the mind, well my mind at least,.
Old 12-06-16, 03:05 AM
rossiny

Economy

Actually you are somewhat correct - a car-free person with a house doesn't need the space taken up by one or two cars and a garage and driveway, and if they live in an apartment, they don't need a parking spot, so that also frees up space. And of course, the more people use public transit, and the more efficiently city space is used, the more economical it is. So cars actually are high maintenance and indirectly cost other people too. So for a brief moment, you actually sounded like you were getting it.
very true about how much cars cost others ..even when u don't own one. The only.problem is that our economy depends on manufacture and right now car manufacture is a BIG driver of our economy. So right now cars are our Gods. I need a van for work, luckily my jobs are all scheduled with in a 5 mile radius since my accounts of building maintenance and repairs work out that way. For me right now ..biking is the luxury and driving is the necessity even if necessary evil
At times when. Drive on the highway. Just think of all us drivers burning petroleum. Not driving but just burning petroleum in an endless flow of liquid and burning it inside the engine. I don not know what the answer is or how we can get away from the addiction . I do know we are like crack addicts no different.💀
Old 12-06-16, 01:59 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by rossiny
... For me right now ..biking is the luxury and driving is the necessity even if necessary evil... I don not know what the answer is or how we can get away from the addiction . I do know we are like crack addicts no different.💀
Would you have the same opinion when people burned wood to survive the winter? Does the same thought cross your mind when you enter a building that is air conditioned or when you hear of people in the Northeast -- even among those LCF -- who rely on oil-fired furnaces and boilers to warm their houses? It wasn't that long ago when all of the cooking in the White House was done with wood-fired stoves and ovens.
Old 12-06-16, 06:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Igor apparently entertained beliefs that may have found an appreciative audience in the mainstream LCF movement -- e.g.,

Police eventually uncovered some 3,000 bikes stored at Kenk’s Queen St. store, home and rented garages. He told people he was preparing for a fossil fuel apocalypse, when bikes would reign supreme. ~thestar.com

Except we wanted to already have them, not have to buy them (back) from him, when that day came
Old 12-06-16, 09:47 PM
rossiny

Heat your house or drive a 3 ton vehicle point A to B?

Would you have the same opinion when people burned wood to survive the winter? Does the same thought cross your mind when you enter a building that is air conditioned or when you hear of people in the Northeast -- even among those LCF -- who rely on oil-fired furnaces and boilers to warm their houses? It wasn't that long ago when all of the cooking in the White House was done with wood-fired stoves and ovens.
I really don't see a connection between burning logs to keep warm or driving to keep the economy going. I think if car manufacture and road building were some how stopped tomorrow our current economy would collapse. So I really think the question you asked is some what like.comparing apples to oranges.
Old 12-09-16, 01:53 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Mod note: if posters don't have something to contribute to the discussion of this thread, please leave. Repeated vehement arguments against LCF are not in the spirit of this thread.
Thank you!!!!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-09-16, 06:13 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Actually you are somewhat correct - a car-free person with a house doesn't need the space taken up by one or two cars and a garage and driveway, and if they live in an apartment, they don't need a parking spot, so that also frees up space. And of course, the more people use public transit, and the more efficiently city space is used, the more economical it is. So cars actually are high maintenance and indirectly cost other people too. So for a brief moment, you actually sounded like you were getting it.
Not exactly correct. My wife and I live car-free. However, the garage that is attached to our townhouse definitely gets used. It is full of various bikes.
Old 12-09-16, 08:33 AM
mconlonx

This morning on NPR, I heard an interview with Ford Futurist Sheryl Connolly. I can't dig up the interview, but I did search out this article:

Ford's Futurist Foreshadows Consumer Trends to Watch in 2017

Of note:
"Bigger isn't always better and ownership isn't equated with happiness," the report finds, adding that wealth is an increasingly outdated measure of success. At first glance the finding seems to spell trouble for auto marketers because they make money by selling cars to own. But Ford has sought to adapt by marketing itself as a "mobility company." In March the automaker launched a subsidiary called Ford Smart Mobility, whose investments include ride-sharing and autonomous vehicles.
So according to someone who Ford pays to basically predict the future, the future is looking to develop more CF...

There was an interesting aside -- Connelly noted about consumer surveying that if he'd consulted with consumers about what to bring to market, they would have replied with "faster horses." So while LCF might not be at the forefront of any popular social movement at the moment, it could be that the idea is just ahead of its time...
Old 12-10-16, 12:06 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by mconlonx
This morning on NPR, I heard an interview with Ford Futurist Sheryl Connolly. I can't dig up the interview, but I did search out this article:

Ford's Futurist Foreshadows Consumer Trends to Watch in 2017

... it could be that the idea is just ahead of its time...
... awaiting the invention of Jetsons Capsule Car. I'm in...
Old 12-28-16, 02:41 PM
mconlonx

OK, so check out the second grouping down, Government & Economics:

Worldometers - real time world statistics

Note that bicycles are being manufactured at twice the rate of automobiles, and nearly match the birth rate.

That's slightly promising, considering an LCF future...
Old 12-28-16, 02:45 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
OK, so check out the second grouping down, Government & Economics:

Worldometers - real time world statistics

Note that bicycles are being manufactured at twice the rate of automobiles, and nearly match the birth rate.

That's slightly promising, considering an LCF future...
But how many of those bike will be used for commuting and how many will be used for recreational cycling? How many will be ridden a couple of times and then sit and rust in the garage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.