Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Component Everyone Loves (Except You)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Component Everyone Loves (Except You)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 08:25 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Oh yeah. Do you still have that Y Foil?
Yes.

Stem broke and was within a couple square mm of causing a serious face plant.
Replaced same. Will be deciding on a group swap later next month...
I keep intending to move it on, but it’s pretty darn fun to ride.
Old 08-26-20, 12:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
I don't like the look of Shimano Santé components. White is a horrible color for metal bike components.

I feel "meh" about Shimano Arabesque, too. The ornateness looks cheap, and the derailleurs and brakes aren't so great.

I love English 3-speed bikes for what they are, but I don't like riding them much. The gears are too far apart, so they are two-speeds for me.

I don't hate down tube shifters, but I don't like them, either. It's not that I don't have the skill. Put me on a bike with them, and I'll do fine. I can find the shifters without looking, and I can use them quickly and effectively. I just prefer something else, anything else. But this is a minor quip, since there aren't many people touting them.

Except for twist grip shifters. I do hate twist grip shifters. Lots of people like them. And some hubs only offer twist grips.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-26-20, 01:41 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Anything with "gravel" in the title.
wha---
Old 08-26-20, 01:53 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Shimano STI shifters because I went through 3 pairs in under a decade. Actually I should probably thank their lack of robustness, it got me thinking there must be a better way, something simple that won't break and be unfixable, which led me to Friction shifting which led me to C&V and I have never looked back. Its recently that I went from pure friction to adding some SIS indexed shifting steeds to the stable.
Old 08-26-20, 02:18 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I can’t stand Colnago bikes.
The 70’s models are fine but after that there is nothing for me. I am sure they are build well but the paint is so ugly.
These airbrushed graphics? Geo paint?
I feel the same about Eddy Merckx bikes. The 70’s were fine but the 80’s rainbow look is not for me.
That is all!
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 08-26-20, 02:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Shimano STI shifters because I went through 3 pairs in under a decade. Actually I should probably thank their lack of robustness, it got me thinking there must be a better way, something simple that won't break and be unfixable, which led me to Friction shifting which led me to C&V and I have never looked back. Its recently that I went from pure friction to adding some SIS indexed shifting steeds to the stable.
STI brifters, especially after a couple of years of use without lubrication, require the delicate touch of a professional lock picker. Downtube STI levers are at the extreme other end of the spectrum: they clank from gear to gear like a 1940 International Harvester. (That's a good thing.)
Old 08-26-20, 02:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,454 Times in 1,430 Posts
Oh yeah, some Italian bikes are far too gaudy. I don't know exactly where the line is between ornate and gaudy, but a lot of Italians cross that line. I tend not to like bikes where the secondary color covers more than 30 or 40% of the bike. I usually don't care for fade jobs, either. But I have exceptions to most of my rules. Colnagos often cross that line into gaudy, but not always. Cinelli (the original company) managed to keep their stuff tasteful.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-20, 02:37 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
The 70’s models are fine but after that there is nothing for me. I am sure they are build well but the paint is so ugly.
I feel the same about Eddy Merckx bikes. The 70’s were fine but the 80’s rainbow look is not for me.
That is all!
+1 on the colnago's. Can't understand the prices they go for.
Old 08-26-20, 02:58 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Colnago bikes do frequently have weird paint jobs that remind me of black velvet paintings, which I'm certain is not a comparison they would have wanted.

Love Merckx bikes though. Frequently just see color combos I don't see anywhere else with them. Post-Columbus Cinelli bikes are frequently wild too.
Old 08-28-20, 05:40 PM
ltokuno

Bikes: Masi, Olmo, Miele, Masi, Masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Bar end shifters.
I really tried to like these. I even did several rides with them. Each time when I decided to shift I would invariably have to slow down or crash. This was on a closed flat smooth bike path with the levers shifting flawlessly in the work stand. I realize I just need more practice with them, but don't want to pay the price of experience in scars.

On the campy two bolt seat post, park tool made a wrench for this that has a different angle than the campy wrench. It works much better, but not as good as the rachets.
Old 08-28-20, 07:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Seems like everybody seems to love DA 7400 group....except me......
I don't really hate it, but I just can't love it.
It certainly works really well and is pretty much one of the most reliable and best functioning groups ever made for bikes, but it's perfection to a fault that it becomes something almost boring to have on a bike for me. Plus the aesthetics of things in the group, like the 7400 series crank for example, just looks too "cleaned up" and pretty much featureless and blah to look at.
Really, I think it's the crankset that's the problem. Light, strong, beautifully finished... and had one of the least interesting shapes of any crank ever made. The crankset is one of the visual centers of the bicycle, and the Dura-Ace was just boring. (Granted, being in direct competition with one of the most beautiful cranksets ever made didn't help, but I always get the feeling that Shimano designers didn't bother to try.) The rest of the group looked great, especially the rear derailleur and the brakes. Single-pivot D/A calipers are sexy.

--Shannon
Old 08-28-20, 09:55 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
That is all!
Agree!....
After the early 80's Colnagos just turned into gaudy, Italian, rolling peacocks.....
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 08-28-20, 10:16 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Mavic starfish.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 08-29-20, 12:14 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I am a huge fan of C-record Campagnolo and before. Probably my favorite era for groups. Not a fan of anything Campy after that.
Old 08-29-20, 12:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I just thought of a component I hate that everyone else seems to think it great!

Modern wide top water bottles! Hate them. I don't like the over engineered bite valves that get full of mildew. Frankly, I don't like bite valves period. I don't like the wide tops that make it impossible to sip the last ounce or two of water without taking the lid off. I hate the ugly graphics. I hate the shape. I hate the high price that I have to pay for features I don't want, like the stupid silicone bite valves with 25 parts.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 08-30-20, 08:06 AM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Two and three hundred dollar (and more) handlebars. I rode with Cinelli bars for 20-30 years, and never paid more than $25-30 dollars for them. I didn’t even know I NEEDED $300 handlebars. I still have most of my old Cinellis and occasionally use one on a bike. Just saying.
Old 08-30-20, 01:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I thought of another one:

Silca Impero Frame Pumps. With or without Campy heads, doesn't matter. Yes, they're pretty. They're also flimsy. Worst of all, they just aren't very good at doing the job that they're designed to do. They're better than most mini pumps I've used. That's not a compliment.

The Zefal HpX utterly trounces the Silca in any but cosmetic competition, up to and including sword-fighting. As a Contraption of Canine Correction, there is no contest.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-30-20, 05:25 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
I thought of another one:

Silca Impero Frame Pumps.
I can respect that opinion and Zefal HP/HPx pumps are great. I still have the one I got when I was 12 or 13.

In fairness to Silca, I feel like I should explain why they were most popular with racer types. First, they were light. That really was the main thing. I don't have the grams in front of me but it was something like half as much as a zefal. Secondly, they pumped up your tires really fast. Third of course was that they came in colors that blended in with your frame and looked cooler the an HP.

Silca frame pumps did have a learning curve for sure, and you needed to be taught how to use them correctly. By contrast Zefal were more user friendly and didn't require 'training'. Silcas also took more arm strength.

If used properly, silcas work reliably and last a long time. I used the same one for 25 years until it got stolen. For much of that time it was my main pump.

Oh, FWIW the same pump I used to defend myself from more than a few dogs. Granted I never gave one a full whack. If a water bottle squirt doesn't deter, I always found I light touch or tap on the nose with the pump will. I've never needed to actually whack a dog.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 08-30-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-30-20, 05:41 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
CO2 inflators. Have had several, not a fan. For years I had a Blackburn frame pump which finally expired this year, and Blackburn does not support it anymore. Replaced with a Silca Impero Ultimate, should be in good shape for many years...
Old 08-31-20, 03:10 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Derailleurs in general. Sure they are slightly more efficient and offer an affordable larger range but unless kept absolutely clean they don't differ that much much compared to IGHs.
They are often finicky, crunch or are prone to dropping when shifting in less than ideal conditions. There's a reason why the MTB crowd has switched to 1x and many custom bikes choose Pinion gears.

I much prefer the low-maintenance and shifting while stopped of a good hub.

Last edited by JaccoW; 08-31-20 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-31-20, 09:16 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Cinelli (the original company) managed to keep their stuff tasteful.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 09-01-20, 11:59 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 861 Posts
Modern KEO pedals, really hard to clip in, won't let the shoe slide forward smoothly or hitch-free, so totally hit-or-miss.

Compared to modern Shimano, no contest, none.

But I don't like vintage pedals either, mainly since I have wide feet and find good-fitting vintage shoes to be quite rare.

MA2 rims have been nothing but good to me, however I find that they look too much like a "modern" touring rim and nearly with weight to match. I will tolerate the older E2 which is just as heavy and is yet-narrower, because they have more the look of a vintage racing (i.e. tubular) rim.

I think the modern Pacenti Brevit rims are the bomb, wide, authentically classic-looking and not too heavy for such a wide rim. TB14's less so (though are perhaps stronger, and feel more rigid during build-up).

A quibble about otherwise-great classic bottle cages is that those with plastic bottle retainers may see this part crack if stored in a hot garage. No problem with all-metal cages then and the REG cages with the very wide plastic bridge also seems immune to such degradation.

The wide-top water bottles from Specialized and from Bontrager/Trek seem like the perfect bottle from any functional point of view, since they kept the design basic with just one properly-designed moving part. I dislike some of the newer bottles having complicated design embellishments, for the reasons Salamandrine cited.

Last edited by dddd; 09-01-20 at 12:07 PM.