Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I make it easier to ride in the Winter?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do I make it easier to ride in the Winter?

Old 12-20-20, 07:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

I over-dressed.
Old 12-20-20, 08:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
but we're in the 50s an 60s.
50s and i'm still wearing shorts.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-20-20, 08:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Didn't read all the responses, Sorry if repetitive.

For me, in a temperature range of 30-45* - my toes limit my time out, followed by fingers.

I use ski gloves, with a glove liner when cold enough.
I used to slip chemical handwarmer packets inside my thin shoe rain covers.
This year bought Fizik Arctic shoe. Not for super cold, but might work in your winter.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-20-20 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-20-20, 08:21 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
50s and i'm still wearing shorts.
it was in the mid 70s today in SoCal

Old 12-20-20, 08:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
it was in the mid 70s today in SoCal
I bet it's a lot hotter.
Old 12-21-20, 08:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Make sure you block the wind on whatever feels cold, i.e., if you're cold wearing a vest, put on a jacket instead.

Try putting some cold cream (Pond's) on your face before your ride. It keeps moisture from evaporating off your face, which makes your face feel warmer, and the psychologically the rest of you feels warmer.
Old 12-21-20, 09:23 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
pdlamb reminds me to mention a couple of little tips I find helpful.

First, regarding moisturizer/lotion, yes, I always use it and thinks it helps with comfort, if not really warmth. Also be sure to use lip balm, because lips can get chapped bad when it’s bitter cold, which is also uncomfortable. Sometimes I just rub Vaseline on the exposed part of my face, but that’s for really cold weather, when it’s dropped below freezing.

The other thing I like to use when it’s really cold is a liniment, like Tiger Balm, on my feet, knees, and front of thighs. Also called embrocations because of their warming, tingling sensation, they stave off the numbing of the cold and make initial warm-up easier, I suppose by stimulating blood flow. It’s not going to extend ride time warmth, but it does make the first pedal strokes, and maybe the first hour, more comfortable, particularly for someone like me who needs 20mins of warmup even when it’s warm!
Old 12-21-20, 09:28 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I wear a bakaclava with a half shell motorcycle helmet(with ear guards), a neck gaiter, merino wool base layer, sometimes a vest, and a neoprene bicycle jacket. For my lower body, I wear fleeced lined pants. Regular sox and cross training shoes. I commute about 45 mins one way in good weather. Longer when it's snowing/icy. No car, just a motorscooter and ebike. I commute down to about 25 F now, maybe lower as the winter goes on. Happy Winter Solstice.
Old 12-21-20, 09:31 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I stuff a bandana in my helmet to keep my head warm. It blocks the vents and works fine without getting too warm.
Many years ago, I bike-commuted a whole 1.5 miles, year around. That included lots of single-digits and even a few sub-zero (F) rides. In the winter, I usually taped off the front-facing vents on my helmet, and I used a motorcycle face shield which was cut to nose-tip length. For that length ride, I just wore regular winter clothes. Even then I was too wimpy to enjoy longer winter rides.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-21-20, 09:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
It was 50 degrees or so when I headed out yesterday morning, and 48 degrees along the creek on Crystal Springs. I was in bibshorts and kneewarmers; baselayer, jersey and jacket; thermal skullcap; wool socks and toe booties. I was comfy the whole ride but when I got home I discovered I was SOAKED in sweat!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-21-20, 10:11 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Wow, lotta responses above. I didn't read too many, but I'm sure they are all thoughtful and sensitive to everybody's different perspectives.

I live in a cold part of the world and I used to ride in well-below-freezing temperatures. For large muscle groups like torso and legs which generate a lot of their own heat, a couple thin insulating layers and a wind-stop layer will keep you comfortable.

Remember - when doing outdoor activity in the Winter, if you feel warm enough in the first fifteen minutes, you are dressed too warmly. You can use your level of physical effort to moderate your temperature - if you are dressed a bit too warm and find yourself starting to sweat, dial back your effort by 5%, and pull the zipper on your jacket down an inch or two.

Extremities are a different story.

My head I can keep warm with a thin layer of polypro, or maybe even a buff. In the coldest weather I have a Sugoi fleece-backed lycra balaclava, but that often winds u feeling too warm if I am exerting myself.

Hands and feet are the real problem. have returned home many times with my toes ice cold and having turned white... not good. There are two possible solutions for this problem: Massive insulated boots and wool socks, or medium insulated boots or shoes with chemical warming packs. https://www.rei.com/product/176891/y...rmers-10-pairs
I don't know if these are available in the Bay Area, but I used to use them when I taught XC skiing to little kids - I spent most of my time standing around in my inappropriately lightweight and racy ski boots, and used 'toe warmers' to keep frostbite away. XC skiing relies on the muscles in your feet, and I don't need to use warmers if I am working hard enough and/or it's not too cold.

For hands, I go to a discount store or army surplus store and find a big pair of snowmobile mitts or 'work mitts. Again, I don't know how available these are where you live, but the ones I buy are dirt cheap (like ~$10 per pair, and very very warm. In fact, if it's above freezing, I often need to take the mitts off and drape them over my bars to avoid making my hands too sweaty.
Old 12-21-20, 12:23 PM
AlanO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Move to Michigan and you’ll get used to it.
Old 12-21-20, 12:45 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I walk my dog for a couple miles in the mid 40F's to warm up a bit before taking off on a ride. Find your method that warms you prior to riding.
^^^^^ This.

I also live in the SF Bay Area and pretty much ride at sunrise. This morning was low 30s and decided to skip (tho, I have been out when it's been right at 30....brrrrrr. I find if I dress appropriately (multi-layers upper, old leather motorcycle gloves for the hands) and am warm when I get on the bike, I can usually stay warm till the end.

Yeah, to all you north, east and northeast riders, you have my sympathy for trying to do winter rides. I sometimes complain about the cold here, but also realize that, other than Southern Cal, AZ, FL, etc., we do have pretty good year-round weather. I lived in OR for a few years and, while it can get a bit nippy in the winter, it was the constant wet roads that got in my way.
Old 12-21-20, 01:36 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
You could move to a warmer climate for 3-4 months over winter. That would help! Maybe try San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, or south Florida?
Old 12-21-20, 01:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
You could move to a warmer climate for 3-4 months over winter. That would help! Maybe try San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, or south Florida?
Or the Bay Area (where he lives now). Today it is already in excess of 70°F in some places.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-21-20, 02:55 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area. It's not super cold like other areas, but we're in the 50s an 60s. Even though I'm wearing layers, a head warmer, gloves and toe warmers, it's still pretty cold. They do make a difference, but if one part of your body is cold, you're still cold. Like my hands. I'm wearing thermal gloves and it's still kinda cold. I can feel my forearms being a bit cold and the toe warmers help just somewhat, but my feet are still cold. And I do wear thermal socks, which make a difference.

But what I'm finding is I can't go out as long, it's not as enjoyable. I can go a little more than an hour but beyond that it's just too cold. I'm trying to get this down. I did order a new jacket, which I hopes makes a difference. But I just feel like I might be a piece away. Maybe wearing something to cover my face might help lol, so it would be like wearing a covid mask.

I really miss the other 3 seasons when it's in the 70s and 80s. Let me know your thoughts.
i certainly understand the misery of riding in the cold. I wish there were simple “read this” or “do this” and riding in the cold would magically get comfortable. Truth is, each of us creates a bit of knowledge base to deal with the various changes. I grew up cross country skiing in Northern mn so my tolerance and experience with cold weather is a bit different.

So, one of the biggest tools that i learned long ago was “warmups”. Basically, a warm, extra layer of clothing used for the first 20 or 30 mins until the core temp settles into work mode. That is, summer or winter our core temp needs to rise a couple degrees and stay there (or we lose power). Once we’ve reached this temp, we can safely dump some or all of the “warmups” or we risk over heating. If you’re used to riding one big loop, it might mean breaking your ride up into a 30 min warmup loop, dumping that extra warm stuff, and finishing the ride. It may also make sense to break up the ride into a series of shorter loops so a layer can be added back on if you’re a bit too aggressive.

the old adage still holds: “no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear”.

so, if your hands are cold, see about getting warmer gloves/more wind proof gloves. If your forearms are cold, see about ensuring the sleeves are snug at the wrist so you’re not scooping up cold air (assuming the sleeves are otherwise wind proof). If you’ve done all those things, look for the exposed skin gaps: wrists, neck, etc. if your face hurts, cover it with a buff or neck gaiter until your face is warm. If your feet are cold, consider more wind proof/warmer booties and mind the air leaks.
Likes For WinterCommuter:
Old 12-21-20, 03:19 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
If you're cold, you're cold. The absolute temp. doesn't matter. If your toes are still cold wearing toe warmers, get shoe covers or booties. Gloves as thick as necessary. Thin head cover that covers your ears, if your head is still cold then helmet cover. Windproof layer on top, loose enough that you can add insulating layers underneath it. Wind-front tights for your legs. I don't need a face covering until its in the lower 20s, but a light balaclava or a neck gaiter that you can pull up over your face should work if your face is cold. Hiking and/or skiing gear is also designed for activity in the cold, if you do other winter activities look into using some of your clothing from other winter sports.

For me, while cycling it is the wind that makes me cold, I wear a little insulation under a wind barrier. I also find that if I keep my head, feet and fingers warm, I don't need as much on my core. The reverse works well too - keep your core warm and you can pump warm blood to your fingers and toes, but usually I try to keep my extremities warm. If you need to, you can carry extra layers in a jersey pocket or a trunk bag, but normally during a ride it goes the other way - after you warm up you start shedding layers and put them in your jersey pockets.

When its cold, it isn't the cycling that is tough, it is when I stop that I get cold. Switch to Gatorskins in the winter so you're less likely to have to try to change a tube while shivering. As long as there's no ice on the roads, I'm fine. I've even got my wife into it, and she dislikes the cold. She generally wears 3 more layers than I on our tandem rides in the autumn/winter.

Cycling in the cold is no problem if you have the right clothing, it is just slower.
Old 12-21-20, 03:28 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I sitll usually wear shorts and no jacket if it's in the 60's. It's important if you're cold that outer garments be wind-proof (which usually means somewhat wind proof). A balakava certainly makes your face warmer, though I never wear one unitl around 40, thoough it seems like recetnly, I'm more likely to put one things like that...I'm guessins because I'm older(69) and more affected by cold (don't know if that's true)...one of my main concerns is making sure my ears are warm, so I very often have a head band,
And I find with these things, if I get something really insulated or heavy fleece, I quickly get too hot, and prefer thin, light weight ones.
Don't do it as much anymore, but I used to ride a lot (in Boston) in the 30's, 20's and even below. And I had clothing for a variety of situations.
The problem I never have solved has been my feet. And when it's really cold, they will get too cold for me to continue. I have a build up on the sole of one shoe of an inch, and therefore, cannot possibly wear cycling booties.
Clearly, everyone responds differently to temperatures...you're really cold when I'm not, but I see people, happily zooming along in the cold with no gloves, which I could not possibly do. As for gloves: the perfect cycling glove (s) for cold DON'T exist. So many are too heavy.
Old 12-21-20, 03:33 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
"Follow the common advice to dress is layers of breathable material. Remember that when starting out on a ride in cool temps, if you're not cold starting out you're over-dressed."
Good advice
Old 12-21-20, 03:35 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area. It's not super cold like other areas, but we're in the 50s an 60s. Even though I'm wearing layers, a head warmer, gloves and toe warmers, it's still pretty cold.
I wonder if it might be the humidity more than the temps. I live in rural New England where, for six months out of the year, you've got to be able to be out when it's below 45 degrees. (And it's well below 30 for half of that period.) A good wind proof outer layer is essential. Keeping the heat you've generated, or started with at the house, is key. I live on top of a hill and it's a steep 300 foot drop the first mile in any direction from my house. Which means if I'm not diligent, all the heat gets blown out of my clothes right away and it can take a long time to get it back.

I find relatively loose fitting, light layers work well to keep things enjoyable. Most importantly, loose fitting shoes that don't limit circulation to your toes; you've got to be able to wiggle your toes with room to spare in the toe box.

Another thing to address might be expectation. Don't confuse having cold fingers with being cold. I've been doing a century a month for the past year which means I'm out for 12+ hours temps at or below freezing at least five out of twelve months. And I find as long as my core is warm I'm pretty much okay. I can be warm and have cold fingers; my toes can be cold and I can still relax and be comfortable. Having cold body parts does not mean you are cold, it just means your fingers are cold. This doesn't necessarily have to be seen as a problem. At your temps, there is no risk of injury. You can be out in 50 degree weather indefinitely with no adverse health effects.

I've spent a little time in the bay area and on the coast to the north, and I wonder if you would benefit from sealing yourself up against the dampness with outer layers that are wind resistant but breathable. For maximum versatility, I'd suggest getting a wind protection layer that is super light weight and just adjust the under layers according to temps.

I also can't help but wonder what you are using for hat, gloves etc. Sounds like you could maybe get more effective items?

Start warm and stay warm.
Old 12-21-20, 08:33 PM
silversurfer531

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm in the Bay Area. It's not super cold like other areas, but we're in the 50s an 60s. Even though I'm wearing layers, a head warmer, gloves and toe warmers, it's still pretty cold. They do make a difference, but if one part of your body is cold, you're still cold. Like my hands. I'm wearing thermal gloves and it's still kinda cold. I can feel my forearms being a bit cold and the toe warmers help just somewhat, but my feet are still cold. And I do wear thermal socks, which make a difference.

But what I'm finding is I can't go out as long, it's not as enjoyable. I can go a little more than an hour but beyond that it's just too cold. I'm trying to get this down. I did order a new jacket, which I hopes makes a difference. But I just feel like I might be a piece away. Maybe wearing something to cover my face might help lol, so it would be like wearing a covid mask.

I really miss the other 3 seasons when it's in the 70s and 80s. Let me know your thoughts.
buy a heated vest that runs off a rechargable battery pack
Old 12-22-20, 07:21 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Likes For big chainring:
Old 12-22-20, 09:27 AM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Not like this

Likes For MikeTé:
Old 12-22-20, 09:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
^^^^ those are my people!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 12-22-20, 11:01 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by silversurfer531
buy a heated vest that runs off a rechargable battery pack
or your Di2 battery.

FWIW, 72°F in parts of the Bay Area yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.