Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

People not saying hi

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

People not saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 09:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Proper Jeep and proper VW drivers wave to each other all the time.
I've owned a VW since 1974 and I don't wave at anyone.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-04-21, 09:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've owned a VW since 1974 and I don't wave at anyone.

Maybe you're an IMproper VW driver?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-04-21, 10:06 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I feel sorry for the people who are so serious they can’t reply to a friendly hello. I love riding and barring a complete bonk it puts me in a good mood. What I feel sorry for are the riders who don’t seem to be deriving the joy from their riding.
If people don’t don’t say hello to you, that indicates they aren’t enjoying riding?
Old 07-04-21, 10:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
On crowded shared infrastructure, like a typical MUP -- which are mostly tarted up narrow sidewalks -- I'd rather other folks pay attention to where they're going rather than offering superficial greetings.

I might nod slightly at other folks on the MUP, but mostly I'm trying to avoid hitting anyone or being hit because, with approaching cyclists, we're crossing at 30-40 mph combined speed on a four foot wide sidewalk. And possibly weaving around joggers, pedestrians or cyclists inexplicably parked in the middle of the MUP. Much of our MUP is so stupidly designed there are way too many crashes already, between bikes slipping off the pavement ledge into the grass, or nicking the flexible mesh fence the idiotic maintenance crew left blowing into the path, etc.

Even when I'm out jogging on a wide, lightly traveled road, I'll wave at cyclists, mostly because I know several of them. But I won't get my feelings hurt if they're looking down at the road because the pavement is cracked and littered with gravel and debris.

Maybe it's their training day, a hard workout. Maybe they're going for a PR or KOM. Maybe there's a tricky crosswind or swirling wind and they're concentrating on the road. A momentary distraction could cost them a second or two, or, worse, cause them to fall.

I'll see many of these folks at a group ride meetup so we can say hi then.
Old 07-05-21, 02:25 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
When you get on an elevator, do you stand facing the doors, or the back of the elevator so you can see who you're with?
If I am occupying the elevator with an unknown woman, I stare intently at her while singing "Love in an elevator". It helps put them in a cheery mood, as can be seen from the spring in their step once the elevator doors open.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-05-21, 02:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I can't decide whether it's better to say hello or to wave. Which one better conveys "I still respect you as a person, even though I just dropped your ass?"
Any form of eye contact or acknowlegement of a rider you have dropped is basically twisting the knife.

I was doing NM/AC efforts on Fri the other day. Did my U-turn just after completing one of the efforts and was tooling along at 12-14mph, having a drink and letting the legs recover. Got passed by a guy on a hybrid, wearing sneakers and one of those tech/performance polos. And a freaking bottle of mineral water in his cage. He turned towards me, looked at me, looked me over and then kept going. He didnt wave, though. The shame and horror....

I only had one thought while waiting for the recovery interval to end - "please dont turn off this road, please dont turn off this road".
Old 07-05-21, 02:33 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yup I would have given you more recognition but I didn't want to lose stability going downhill
Wait, wait, wait. Do you mean to say, Lawrence, that after all this, YOU didnt wave back to someone who gave you a nod??
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-05-21, 03:46 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Would you wave at someone riding a GMC Denali?
Old 07-05-21, 04:41 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Wait, wait, wait. Do you mean to say, Lawrence, that after all this, YOU didnt wave back to someone who gave you a nod??
I nodded at him but didn't give my typical two finger salute from my forehead. I did scream at him to catch the person in front of him though cause I could tell he was hammering
Old 07-05-21, 05:13 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Sup Larry! You know many of us are getting older. With advancing age comes diminished eyesight and hearing. You need to make yourself more noticeable, visually and audibly. Affect a unique hair style, facial hair included. Always wear Hi Viz or plaid, some body paint if shirtless. Accessorize your bike. Walmart has an aisle full of stuff, a flag is a good start. Work on developing your own "signature" call so folks will know who is about to overtake. Follow your instincts and you can quickly become a local legend.
I have a flag from the Palio di Siena, a famous horse race in Italy, its sweet its just a big snail. I gotta find it its in a box somewhere
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-05-21, 06:53 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13706 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 2,502 Posts
Cyclists wave to me, or back to me all the time. The waves vary by rider type.
Old 07-05-21, 06:54 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
When you get on an elevator, do you stand facing the doors, or the back of the elevator so you can see who you're with?
It depends who I'm with.
Old 07-05-21, 06:58 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Proper Jeep and proper VW drivers wave to each other all the time.
The newest generation of Jeeps make discerning proper* Jeeps tricky.

* Two door Wrangler

Likes For rjones28:
Old 07-05-21, 07:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I hope my approach doesn't trigger. Raising one's hand might be the difference between a KoM and a mere top 10. So, I just lift my index finger and point it to the oncoming rider, like "you're the man".

Chasing riders down seems a little extreme.
Old 07-05-21, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why do so many people not greet riders they pass?
they are but they do it telepathically. try to open yourself up to the connected universe. when you see them, you think of them. when they see you, they think of you. even if only momentarily. this is your window. then move on to the next opportunity. you may be surprised what you hear. here's hoping it's something kind
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-05-21, 07:37 AM
Spreggy
King of the Plukers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Welshboy
I agree with the OP. Back in the day most club cyclists would wave to each other when passing and also wave to solitary riders not attached to a club but just out enjoying riding their bike. Hell, we'd even wave to middle-aged ladies cycling along on their hybrid with a wicker basket on the front - I guess as a mixture of encouragement and that we were kind of all doing the same activity. Two wheels good! Our club picked up a few new members doing this but things slowly started to change about 15 years ago and are getting progressively worse so that now most cyclists do not wave when passing. On my daily commute it's slightly better - perhaps 50/50. It gets right up my nose when you call out a cheery "Good Morning" and get nothing back except the thousand yard stare.
It's not just cycling, it's the world today imho. Growing up, people used to just pop into each others houses to say hi, we called it "company". Now if the doorbell rings it's like who the hell is that?
The world is just ugly, everybody hates everybody. Bring the positive vibes and wave away!
Likes For Spreggy:
Old 07-05-21, 09:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I usually say, "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?" Followed by "Salute." Those are sure to get a response! It might not be the ones you were looking for, though.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-05-21, 09:43 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I usually say, "Hey Grandpa, what's for supper?" Followed by "Salute." Those are sure to get a response! It might not be the ones you were looking for, though.
always works for me, here's a local club responding, actual footage from yesterday's ride:

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-05-21, 09:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
always works for me, here's a local club responding, actual footage from yesterday's ride:

That's what I'm talking about!
Old 07-05-21, 10:01 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I feel sorry for the people who are so serious they can’t reply to a friendly hello. I love riding and barring a complete bonk it puts me in a good mood. What I feel sorry for are the riders who don’t seem to be deriving the joy from their riding.
What if part of part of the joy is getting out of the house and the job and away from obligations and people who expect something from you?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-05-21, 11:03 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I sniff everybody's butt. Learned it from the neighbor's dog. Seems really important to him, and I don't like taking chances.
I had a dog that liked to sniff women's .... oh nevermind. Waving: LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!! Validation.
Old 07-05-21, 01:05 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Too many cyclists here to say anything at all to everyone, or even wave at them all. On a typical ride from SF up around Marin I'll easily come across several hundred cyclists. Once up in the hills or up along the coast towards Point Reyes Station or Marshall I'll give a four finger wave to those I come across, assuming it's convenient to do so - can't do it while braking to enter a downhill corner, for example. It just consists of lifting the fingers on my left hand as we meet, or on my right hand as I pass. Or my left hand if they pass me. Experienced cyclists usually notice it and I see when others do so.

For busier areas I'll give random cyclists, especially those who look like beginner roadies or tourists a friendly bell ping. It lets them know someone is approaching from behind and they should either hold their line or move over to the right.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-05-21, 01:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Would you wave at someone riding a GMC Denali?
I would probably make that mistake because I'd be happy to see another person on a bike before I realized it was a Denali. Then I'd spend the next week in confession trying to atone.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-05-21, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Spreggy
It's not just cycling, it's the world today imho. Growing up, people used to just pop into each others houses to say hi, we called it "company". Now if the doorbell rings it's like who the hell is that?
The world is just ugly, everybody hates everybody. Bring the positive vibes and wave away!
Living in a city of nearly 1.5 million people, I would often not have my hands on the bars if I waved at everyone. And don’t get me started on what life would be like while walking.

Try to think outside your personal situation.
Old 07-05-21, 07:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I'm glad that works for you. As for me, I need external validation. My self-worth is determined by others acknowledging me. If I wave and someone doesn't wave back, it makes me feel invisible; as if I'm not worthy of being seen as an equal.
Maybe that other rider is not trying to be noticed & wishes to be invisible. Zen is all that other rider could be after & here you are, tossing out hand & verbal stressors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.