Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else out there not using padded shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 09:29 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I suit up into my superhero costume even for a 10 mile ride!
Damn, that sounds awesome. My club has a Halloween ride coming up. Can I borrow your superhero costume? If I win the costume contest, I will def give you credit. ;-)
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 09-30-21, 09:33 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t wear a padded bra. In fact, I wear no bra all. Just another carefree guy. Was that the question? Oh he!!, it’s BF where answering the question is purely optional. So who wants to start an argument or debate?
I bet you put ketchup on your brat, too!
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 09-30-21, 09:36 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If I’m training, I’m wearing a jersey and bibs.
May I ask why? When I ride, I'm generally training too, albeit for no specific event other than a long, healthy life. I consider the wattage lost to my loose clothing to be adding to my workout load. Ditto for my steel or titanium frame and friction shifters. Or is it that you want your training conditions to replicate your race conditions as much as possible?
Old 09-30-21, 09:42 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Originally Posted by Harold74
May I ask why? When I ride, I'm generally training too, albeit for no specific event other than a long, healthy life. I consider the wattage lost to my loose clothing to be adding to my workout load. Ditto for my steel or titanium frame and friction shifters. Or is it that you want your training conditions to replicate your race conditions as much as possible?
Because that is what he/she prefers. Why do some people question other peoples preferences? It's their preference! It doesn't mean you have to do the same!
Old 09-30-21, 09:48 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Been riding 6-7,000 miles a year for the past 6 years or so without any pads in my pants, or on the saddle. Works for me.
Old 09-30-21, 09:56 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

When I see other folk out in full spandex for a lunch ride around the MUP, I question whether the benefit is worth the hassle. Obviously, these are not racing conditions other than Strava obsession perhaps. On the other hand, I like to feel speedy even when I've nothing to prove.
Good for you!
Old 09-30-21, 10:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Because it’s more comfortable.
Old 09-30-21, 10:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Commuting and utility riding, I'm wearing street clothes. But that's usually less than 5 miles.

Short sporty rides, say under 20 miles, I'm often wearing unpadded swimming jammers and non-cotton underwear.

Longer sport rides and brevets, padded shorts. Otherwise chafing issues arise.
Old 09-30-21, 11:11 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I have to wear something when I'm riding and that's almost always bib shorts and a cycling jersey. It's more comfortable, especially in the heat and humidity in the South.

The only time I don't is when I'm leading a Navy fitness session on the indoor bikes and then I wear padded Lycra shorts under the Navy PT uniform because the bikes have awful saddles.
Old 10-01-21, 06:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Why?

That's a joke question--comfort is so subjective that I find questioning why someone finds something more or less comfortable than I do to be very silly. I find wearing cotton shirts on a long ride comfortable, that seems to drive some posters nuts. I'm not uncomfortable on a saddle without padding, and you are. Such is life.

I realized years ago when I saw the head rests that are commonly used for sleeping in other cultures that there's no "objective" way to define comfort. Using those as we use pillows looks like absolute torture to me. ,
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-01-21, 07:49 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Because that is what he/she prefers.
Thanks for the complete non-answer. Of course it's what he prefers. What I was asking is why he prefers it.

Why do some people question other peoples preferences?
I did not question caloso's preferences. I merely asked him to explain the rationale behind his preferences so that I might:

1) Better understand his perspective and;

2) Better understand the perspective of the class of riders that he described to me previously.

It's their preference! It doesn't mean you have to do the same!
I never indicated that I felt any compulsion to do the same. Truly, I do not understand your apparent hostility over the asking of a simple question. Do people not have discussions about things where you're from?
Old 10-01-21, 08:58 AM
Harold74

Thanks. I was trying to get at something a bit more fundamental though. I'll give it another go for good measure.

When I see lunch hour racers out and about, it seems to me that their setups reflect deliberate choices that prioritize speed over comfort: stiff frames, racing geometry, aero posture, 2 g bike seats, tight clothing etc. They then, it seems to me, have little choice but to use padded clothing to restore some measure of comfort.

In contrast, when I'm out training, I ride a steel touring bike with a relaxed, upright geometry. I add to that a well padded touring seat, 35 mm tires, and the aforementioned cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirt. I generate my own wind in those loose clothes such that a balls-to-the-wall, 45 minute ride in 30C heat will leave me accumulating sweat only under my helmet. I am, admittedly, a bit salty elsewhere. I can train effectively this way, packing no extra clothing, and generating no extra laundry. Over the course of a riding season, I steadily get stronger and fitter, just like a racer. Of course, what I don't develop are the flexibility and handling skills suited to an aggressive road bike setup.

My way of training seems ideal to me. This leads me to wonder why the lunch hour racer folks choose differently. As I see it, the likely explanations, in order of likeliness, are:

1) Racers want their lunch hour training to simulate their racing conditions as much as possible (handling, flexibility requirements, etc).

2) Impulse(s) towards aesthetics & style.

3) Some racers might only have racing bikes.

Whatever the motivations of lunch hour racers are, I'm not judging them unfavorably. I simply seek to understand them.

Last edited by Harold74; 10-01-21 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 10:02 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Why?

That's a joke question--comfort is so subjective that I find questioning why someone finds something more or less comfortable than I do to be very silly. I find wearing cotton shirts on a long ride comfortable, that seems to drive some posters nuts. I'm not uncomfortable on a saddle without padding, and you are. Such is life.

I realized years ago when I saw the head rests that are commonly used for sleeping in other cultures that there's no "objective" way to define comfort. Using those as we use pillows looks like absolute torture to me. ,
I didn’t say I was uncomfortable on a saddle without padding. Farther up the thread I said I typically commute in office clothes. Yesterday when I rode home I didn’t even bother taking off my tie. I put on my helmet and pant cuff bands, and rode home. It would not have been worth it to spend 10 minutes changing for a 20 minute ride where I barely exceed 15 mph.

What I said was that I am more comfortable in a jersey and bibs when I am riding hard like doing intervals, group rides, racing, etc, It goes beyond the pad. If I’m going for a long or hard ride I don’t like seams up in my taint, I don’t like wearing out dress pants, I don’t like baggy shorts that ride up or snag on the saddle nose if I stand, I don’t like cotton shirts that hold moisture and chafe. On long hard rides I like bibs that fit and stay in place, I like jerseys that are cut to fit while riding and have full zippers, wicking fabric, reflective tabs, and pockets to hold my phone, food, and other stuff.

People should wear what they like and is comfortable to them, in the context that they are riding.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-01-21, 10:11 AM
caloso

Thanks. I was trying to get at something a bit more fundamental though. I'll give it another go for good measure.

When I see lunch hour racers out and about, it seems to me that their setups reflect deliberate choices that prioritize speed over comfort: stiff frames, racing geometry, aero posture, 2 g bike seats, tight clothing etc. They then, it seems to me, have little choice but to use padded clothing to restore some measure of comfort.

In contrast, when I'm out training, I ride a steel touring bike with a relaxed, upright geometry. I add to that a well padded touring seat, 35 mm tires, and the aforementioned cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirt. I generate my own wind in those loose clothes such that a balls-to-the-wall, 45 minute ride in 30C heat will leave me accumulating sweat only under my helmet. I am, admittedly, a bit salty elsewhere. I can train effectively this way, packing no extra clothing, and generating no extra laundry. Over the course of a riding season, I steadily get stronger and fitter, just like a racer. Of course, what I don't develop are the flexibility and handling skills suited to an aggressive road bike setup.

My way of training seems ideal to me. This leads me to wonder why the lunch hour racer folks choose differently. As I see it, the likely explanations, in order of likeliness, are:

1) Racers want their lunch hour training to simulate their racing conditions as much as possible (handling, flexibility requirements, etc).

Whatever the motivations of lunch hour racers are, I'm not judging them unfavorably. I simply seek to understand them.
1) Yes, and I don’t know anyone who is going out to do lunch time intervals in their regular clothes. Lunch runners, swimmers, crossfitters, etc., don’t workout in their regular clothes either.

2) Personally, I love a good looking kit.

3) Maybe. I don’t know. Personally, everyone I know who races has multiple bikes and probably has a beater/commuter/utility bike. Of course, it is possible to ride a race bike in regular clothes. I do it all the time. If I’m using one leg of my commute as an interval set, the other leg, I’m just commuting in office clothes.
Old 10-01-21, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I didn’t say I was uncomfortable on a saddle without padding. Farther up the thread I said I typically commute in office clothes. Yesterday when I rode home I didn’t even bother taking off my tie. I put on my helmet and pant cuff bands, and rode home. It would not have been worth it to spend 10 minutes changing for a 20 minute ride where I barely exceed 15 mph.

What I said was that I am more comfortable in a jersey and bibs when I am riding hard like doing intervals, group rides, racing, etc, It goes beyond the pad. If I’m going for a long or hard ride I don’t like seams up in my taint, I don’t like wearing out dress pants, I don’t like baggy shorts that ride up or snag on the saddle nose if I stand, I don’t like cotton shirts that hold moisture and chafe. On long hard rides I like bibs that fit and stay in place, I like jerseys that are cut to fit while riding and have full zippers, wicking fabric, reflective tabs, and pockets to hold my phone, food, and other stuff.

People should wear what they like and is comfortable to them, in the context that they are riding.
OK, definitely wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was only responding because I thought it was funny that someone challenged you to produce reasons in the first place.

Cotton shirts never chafe me, I find it's actually better on MY skin than "performance" polyesters, and I find jerseys the least comfortable of all. What I find hilarious on BF is how many people try to convince other people they're wrong about what they find comfortable under what circumstances.

When I was a teenager, the line always was cotton breathes and polyester doesn't. I realize that polyesters are a lot different now than they were then, but cotton isn't. Not sure when it stopped breathing.
Old 10-01-21, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think there's a possible #4: They sweat a lot when they ride and need to change clothes before and after the ride, so they put on what they're used to riding in generally.

Yours and my clothing choices are similar except I wear a tight-fitting tee shirt instead of Hawaiian shirt, but I'd sweat them up way too much to work in if I were to engage in a relatively fast 45 minute ride over lunch.
Old 10-01-21, 11:16 AM
Harold74

Yes, and I don’t know anyone who is going out to do lunch time intervals in their regular clothes. Lunch runners, swimmers, crossfitters, etc., don’t workout in their regular clothes either.
a) I don't feel that the comparison to other sports is particularly apt. Runners and crossfitters don't generate nearly the sweat evaporating wind that cyclists do and their mobility requirement's are greater. And, of course, nobody really swims in street clothes these days.

b) For the most part, I think that we're talking about the difference between:

a) Lycra shorts and short sleeved shirts and;

b) non-Lycra shorts and short sleeved shirts.

It's not as though I'm flying around on my bike in slacks and a cardigan. I am fortunate in that my office attire is shorts and short sleeved shirt during the summer months.
Old 10-01-21, 11:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

a) I don't feel that the comparison to other sports is particularly apt. Runners and crossfitters don't generate nearly the sweat evaporating wind that cyclists do and their mobility requirement's are greater. And, of course, nobody really swims in street clothes these days.

b) For the most part, I think that we're talking about the difference between:

a) Lycra shorts and short sleeved shirts and;

b) non-Lycra shorts and short sleeved shirts.

It's not as though I'm flying around on my bike in slacks and a cardigan. I am fortunate in that my office attire is shorts and short sleeved shirt during the summer months.

I think you have to take into account that people vary a lot in how much they sweat.
Old 10-01-21, 11:25 AM
Harold74

Yours and my clothing choices are similar except I wear a tight-fitting tee shirt instead of Hawaiian shirt, but I'd sweat them up way too much to work in if I were to engage in a relatively fast 45 minute ride over lunch.
I might too if my regular ride involved more hill climbing. I'd say that, in the spectrum of all humans, I'm actually sweatier than most. That said:

1) I seem to barely sweat at all below the waist, almost regardless of the circumstances.

2) I can't say enough good things about the ventilation / evaporation potential of a Hawaiian shirt. No doubt, that's why there's such a thing as a Hawaiian shirt. As long as I stay above 20 km/hr, I seem to stay very dry.
Old 10-01-21, 11:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
1) Yes, and I don’t know anyone who is going out to do lunch time intervals in their regular clothes. Lunch runners, swimmers, crossfitters, etc., don’t workout in their regular clothes either.
Aside from swimming...all other workouts can be done in a regular pair of cargo pants and a t-shirt...I've lifted weights, I've done kettlebell workouts and all manner of other exercises in a pair of cargo pants and a t-shirt....Military guys workout in full combat clothing plus some of their workouts involve carrying 60 pounds of gear with them.
Old 10-01-21, 11:49 AM
caloso

Is it really that difficult to understand that many riders, particularly those who commit to significant time or intensity, prefer clothing that is optimized for the activity?
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-01-21, 12:13 PM
Harold74

Is it really that difficult to understand that many riders, particularly those who commit to significant time or intensity, prefer clothing that is optimized for the activity?
It's not but, clearly, not all of us share that perspective so some elaboration has been helpful. Is it really that painful to have a simple conversation about this with folks who see things differently and are curious about the perspective of others? I thought that we were simply having a polite discussion here about preferences but I get the impression that the dialog is vexing you. I certainly don't care enough about this that I'd want to cause you any angst over it.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 10-01-21, 12:24 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
When I started, I found pads necessary to keep my tail from bursting into flame, but as I got used to it I needed them less and less. Still, they're more comfortable and I'll wear them if it's convenient, and not if it isn't. No rules. . . just what works and feels best and isn't too dorky (I won't wear them to the grocery store, for instance.) Not a big deal.

I wear bike clothes to commute because they're compact (storage at work). I sponge bathe and change at work, and basically I hate living in old sweat if I don't have to. I imagine the people around me share that preference.

Last edited by mdarnton; 10-01-21 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 10-01-21, 12:36 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Cotton shirts never chafe me, I find it's actually better on MY skin than "performance" polyesters, and I find jerseys the least comfortable of all. What I find hilarious on BF is how many people try to convince other people they're wrong about what they find comfortable under what circumstances.

When I was a teenager, the line always was cotton breathes and polyester doesn't. I realize that polyesters are a lot different now than they were then, but cotton isn't. Not sure when it stopped breathing.
It's notable how many touring bikers ride with normal shirts (or Hawaiian as mentioned) rather than poly sport-specific. I've tried both on my commute and for me the dividing line is that poly HAS to breathe because it lies close on the skin and is nearly a closed plastic bag, so I prefer riding in a loose cotton tent that doesn't have to breathe because it ventilates. Plus, cotton doesn't stink. And when it gets really hot, you can open the front of a button shirt and invite the wind right in. Poly can't compete with that! I don't get the poly thing except for aero considerations, for racing.
Old 10-01-21, 01:01 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by mdarnton
It's notable how many touring bikers ride with normal shirts (or Hawaiian as mentioned) rather than poly sport-specific. I've tried both on my commute and for me the dividing line is that poly HAS to breathe because it lies close on the skin and is nearly a closed plastic bag, so I prefer riding in a loose cotton tent that doesn't have to breathe because it ventilates. Plus, cotton doesn't stink. And when it gets really hot, you can open the front of a button shirt and invite the wind right in. Poly can't compete with that! I don't get the poly thing except for aero considerations, for racing.
Every jersey I own has a full zipper. And they don't stink if you wash them after you wear them. Maybe that's not possible on tour, I don't know.
Likes For caloso:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.