Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help Picking an Endurance Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help Picking an Endurance Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 01:20 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
As an inveterate tinkerer, the lack of an expander plug worries me.
someone mentioned that the aluminum is different.
Old 03-04-22, 01:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ye like the Synapse too (previous version, not the brand new one).
I love my 2016 Synapse, which is now two versions old with the recent release of the current version with the integrated battery pack and lights.

Originally Posted by sshakari
someone mentioned that the aluminum is different.
True, but generally speaking, an aluminum frame is less comfortable than its carbon fiber counterpart, and that (and geometry) is one of the main points of having an endurance bike.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-04-22, 01:42 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
its not such a deal-breaker. Get a new stem when you get yours and just ride, don't worry about the steerer.
Old 03-04-22, 02:20 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you can bump the budget to just over $3k, I’d take a hard look at the Domane SL5. Lots of benefits, primarily IsoSpeed front and rear, internal storage (really slick), better and more modern cable management, and carbon frame that is more vibration dampening than alu. Plus, the integration of the Blendr mountable light systems is really nice. I’m constantly asked about the bike when around other cyclists.
Love my Domane SL5. Between the internal storage, Blendr mounts, and integrated seat post light mount it's a really "clean" look. Plus with the 2022 models the SL5 comes already setup as tubeless in case that's something that might help with the $3230 pricetag.

Worth noting the AL5 version has the Blendr compatibility; and it also has top tube lugs for a bento box and mount points for a rear rack - stuff the SL models don't have. May or may not matter to OP.

If I were to replace it, I would get the same thing (but with Di2 - no real reason other than “because”).
Gotta admit that swapping to a Di2 groupset has crossed my mind. Not champing the bit to do so anytime soon but I can see it happening at some point.
Old 03-04-22, 02:36 PM
AudioSQ

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Scott Addict 20 may deserve a look.
Old 03-04-22, 04:49 PM
jpx313

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek Madone SL6 is a little pricey but worth it!
Old 03-04-22, 08:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell

Gotta admit that swapping to a Di2 groupset has crossed my mind. Not champing the bit to do so anytime soon but I can see it happening at some point.
Gotta say, the idea has crossed my mind more than once. We’ll see once the ne Di2 kits are out.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-04-22, 11:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
So many things to consider when you say endurance.

Tire width. Depending on roads you'll travel and your preferences, this could eliminate some options. For me, I want room for at least 38mm.
  • Felt: max 28mm
  • Canyon: 28mm stock, unstated max
  • Trek: 32mm stock, max 35mm without fenders, 32mm with
  • Cannondale: stock 30mm; max 35mm
  • Giant: 32mm stock, max 38mm

Brakes. All are disc.
  • All state hydro except Canyon, which does not say.
Stack and Reach. Used to be you had to have a custom frame to get specific stack and reach. But with the plethora of brands, you can find almost anything.
  • Specs are out there; I'm not doing that for you

Fenders or no. Almost religion. If you want full coverage fenders, that's going to eliminate a lot of bikes.
  • Cannondale: yes
  • Trek: fender and rack mounts
  • Canyon: no evidence
  • Giant: no evidence
  • Felt: no evidence
​​​​​​
You can just focus on the component levels and weight, but then you miss features that might make a big difference to how the bike suits your needs.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-05-22, 06:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
So many things to consider when you say endurance.

Tire width. Depending on roads you'll travel and your preferences, this could eliminate some options. For me, I want room for at least 38mm.
  • Felt: max 28mm
  • Canyon: 28mm stock, unstated max
  • Trek: 32mm stock, max 35mm without fenders, 32mm with
  • Cannondale: stock 30mm; max 35mm
  • Giant: 32mm stock, max 38mm

Brakes. All are disc.
  • All state hydro except Canyon, which does not say.
Stack and Reach. Used to be you had to have a custom frame to get specific stack and reach. But with the plethora of brands, you can find almost anything.
  • Specs are out there; I'm not doing that for you

Fenders or no. Almost religion. If you want full coverage fenders, that's going to eliminate a lot of bikes.
  • Cannondale: yes
  • Trek: fender and rack mounts
  • Canyon: no evidence
  • Giant: no evidence
  • Felt: no evidence
​​​​​​
You can just focus on the component levels and weight, but then you miss features that might make a big difference to how the bike suits your needs.
Most Canyon Endurace models are now being shipped with 30 mm tyres and there is clearance for at least 32 mm. There are no fender or rack mounts. Brakes are all hydraulic.
Old 03-06-22, 03:00 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Try them all out on a ride, choose what feels comfy and lights your fire. What you like is what matters.
Old 03-06-22, 07:43 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by beeballman
Try them all out on a ride, choose what feels comfy and lights your fire. What you like is what matters.
The only bikes I could find in stock were the Cannondale CAAD13, which was a nice bike, but it didn't have disc brakes, which I would like for the larger wheels, but not a deal breaker. I live near the Canyon USA HQ and they have bikes in stock. Worst case, I can wait until all the silliness is over and then buy a bike then.

​​​​​
Originally Posted by KJ43
I just ordered a Cannondale Synapse 3L (Shimano 105) for north of $3K that will get here next week.
Originally Posted by jpx313
My Trek Madone SL6 is a little pricey but worth it!
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you can bump the budget to just over $3k, I’d take a hard look at the Domane SL5. .
Originally Posted by AudioSQ
Scott Addict 20 may deserve a look.
I probably would end up single if I proposed a 4k bike to my spouse....awesome looking bike though!
Originally Posted by eduskator
Giant Defy for the win - best bang for the buck. I believe the base model retails for 2500-3000$. The Contend isn't really an endurance bike; it's an all rounder.
Giant Defy Advanced 2 is around $2800 and a little far north of my budget, but close, going to keep this on the short list since I could "in theory" test ride.
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Kestrel RT-1100, Ultegra Disc 18 lbs $2500.
Looks like a winner and around the same price as the Canyon! Not familiar with either brand, but with Canyon the store is local. Couldn't find a Kestrel dealer in the USA, but my google ability may be lacking.
Originally Posted by bruce19
Take a look at Rose bikes out of Germany. They sell direct like Canyon..
The Rose Reveal Four Disc 105 is around 2,660 so a little high but not crazy, thank you! Similar to Kestrel, I would prefer a dealer if possible, but killer price.

Originally Posted by downtube42
Great advice! Really interested in CF or a quality AL that is comfortable for long rides, Shimano 105 7000 group set is the minimum and the ability to run larger tires as you mentioned. Luckily live in SOCAL so no fenders really needed typically,

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 03-06-22 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-07-22, 05:13 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What matters for long distance riding is the head tube angle and the amount of rake. My 2002 Trek 5200 is as good as any bike I can buy today at any price. It is stiff, climbs great, very stable at 50 mph on downhill runs, and weighs 17 lbs. The only thing I would change is to go with wider rims so I could run 700x28 tires.

The pre-aero bikes for triathalons were ideal. One thing to consider is that for longer rides it helps to have a slightly larger frame and be able to stretch out more. I would ride a 54cm and be OK but for very long rides I like larger frame.

The longer the ride the more time is going to be spend going up hills and so having a bike where the chainstays do not flex puts more of your pedal power to driving the bike forward. If I am really standing on it while going up a steep grade I do not want to hear creaks coming from anywhere on the bike.
Old 03-07-22, 05:45 PM
JB_Nicholson

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite E5 - 2021

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Team Roubaix

Can't speak to other bikes on this thread but I can vouch for the Roubaix. The future shock technology does make the bike heavier yes... but also it makes a bit difference on long rides and you can always turn it off/down if you want a bit more stiffness for a certain segment. Seat post is a little different than Domane but also has lots of compliance. Specialize boasts that it's as aerodynamic as the Tarmac as well which may ease some of your weight concerns if you have them. No matter what you pick - endurance bikes are sweet and your butt/back will be thanking you :-)

Originally Posted by Chandne
I'd probably vote for the Synapse. I'm starting to look myself and the Synapse and Roubaix are my top two. The big problem is that I must have a light bike (under 17 lbs for sure) so I'll have to spend some serious money when it comes to an endurance bike since ones like the Roubaix are heavy(ish) compared to light road racer bikes. It will take me a while to come to grips with that (the $$).
Old 03-07-22, 06:01 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by JB_Nicholson
Can't speak to other bikes on this thread but I can vouch for the Roubaix. The future shock technology does make the bike heavier yes... but also it makes a bit difference on long rides and you can always turn it off/down if you want a bit more stiffness for a certain segment. Seat post is a little different than Domane but also has lots of compliance. Specialize boasts that it's as aerodynamic as the Tarmac as well which may ease some of your weight concerns if you have them. No matter what you pick - endurance bikes are sweet and your butt/back will be thanking you :-)
It is definitely a top consideration. I have owned two older S-Works Roubaix bikes. They were really nice and I bet the new one is just a league above.
Old 03-07-22, 07:49 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Or change out the wheels on your current bike. Wider tires support the load with lower PSI needed as the volume of the tire is greater.

700x23 at 100 PSI same load support as 700x25 at 85 PSI or a 700x28 at 65-70 PSI. Softer ride with negligible increase in rolling resistance for the tire.
Old 03-09-22, 03:52 PM
Caliwild

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02
Looking for a bike with more comfort than my Felt F75. Trying to keep the bike under $2500 if at all possible (1 exception - Canyon), but willing to spend a couple bucks more if I'm really getting a better product. Did a bunch of research for CF frames, with Shimano 105 components or above (1 exception - cannonade), and CF frame (2 exceptions - Trek and Giant). 11 speed would be nice as the area I'm at is pretty hilly, but I've managed on my 10 speed fine.

Appreciate any thoughts/inputs, warnings, great ideas, etc.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Canyon Endurace CF SL 7 (18.7 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2599
Giant Contend AR 1 (21.2 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $1950
Felt FR 30 (19.8 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2029
Trek Domane AL 5 (22.2 lbs, Shimano 105, 11 speed) - $2179
Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 (20.9 lbs, Shimano Tiagra, 10 speed) - $2400
You just can't beat Canyon for bang-for-the-buck... I'd just do that.
Old 03-09-22, 09:35 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Or change out the wheels on your current bike. Wider tires support the load with lower PSI needed as the volume of the tire is greater. Softer ride with negligible increase in rolling resistance for the tire.
Absolutely! I've done just that, however, my spouse wants me to get a new bike. There is some sentimental value to the old one and I plan on retiring it as an indoor trainer.

Originally Posted by JB_Nicholson
Can't speak to other bikes on this thread but I can vouch for the Roubaix.
Looks like an awesome bike, but the Specialized Roubaix Sport is about $3200 so pretty far above my budget, but agreed, amazing bike.

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I agree, I can try one, and it appears to be the only thing close to what I want to spend.
Old 03-10-22, 08:32 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
That's true component-wise but they still come with a PF BB and that is ultimately why I chose the Cannondale Synapse 3L. Yes it's more money but aside from the Smart Sense (which I'm going to strip out and remove) it looks to be the bike that I want to ride and upgrade over time.

Last edited by KJ43; 03-10-22 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-10-22, 09:02 PM
JayhawkNavy02

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
That's true component-wise but they still come with a PF BB and that is ultimately why I chose the Cannondale 3L. Yes it's more money but aside from the Smart Sense (which I'm going to strip out and remove) it looks to be the bike that I want to ride and upgrade over time.
Out of ignorance, it looks like the Endurance CF SL 7 Disc comes with the Token Ninja Lite BB4124 PF86.5 Thread-Fit bottom bracket, then it mentioned BB86 Road standard, compatible with 24 mm axles. What is the disadvantage/advantage of press vice thread fit and is that a concern?

From reading the Giant Defy Advanced 2 has a press fit bottom bracket. The Rose Reveal also has the BB86 bottom bracket.

The Trek Domane SL 5 has a T47 threaded bottom bracket.

Not sure is the Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 is threaded or press fit.
Old 03-10-22, 09:28 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Out of ignorance, it looks like the Endurance CF SL 7 Disc comes with the Token Ninja Lite BB4124 PF86.5 Thread-Fit bottom bracket, then it mentioned BB86 Road standard, compatible with 24 mm axles. What is the disadvantage/advantage of press vice thread fit and is that a concern?

From reading the Giant Defy Advanced 2 has a press fit bottom bracket. The Rose Reveal also has the BB86 bottom bracket.

BB86 is a term for the press fit standard. A quick google search can give you many sources to read about the BB standards and the various terms that are used.

The '22 Cannondale Synapse is a threaded BB. I prefer a threaded BB mostly because I do a lot of my own wrenching at home and I find them easy to work with in general. I'm sure people have beat the topic to death on the forums and you could do a search here to see just how bloody the corpse of that horse is.
Old 03-10-22, 09:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
It is believed that press fit BBS can develop creaking noises over time. Threaded is supposed to be more stable.

lots of arguments on both sides.
Old 03-11-22, 01:52 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I live near the Canyon USA HQ and they have bikes in stock. Worst case, I can wait until all the silliness is over and then buy a bike then.
Canyon Home in Carlsbad is on the way to my office but Canyon would not do a delivery there; the bike must still be shipped.
Old 03-11-22, 08:29 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts

I wouldn't let the BB debate dominate your choice of bike here. There are other far more important considerations like fit and geometry. People tend to over-state the potential issues with press-fit BBs. There are an awful lot of people riding around happily on them.
Old 03-11-22, 09:08 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
Absolutely! I've done just that, however, my spouse wants me to get a new bike. There is some sentimental value to the old one and I plan on retiring it as an indoor trainer.

Looks like an awesome bike, but the Specialized Roubaix Sport is about $3200 so pretty far above my budget, but agreed, amazing bike.

I agree, I can try one, and it appears to be the only thing close to what I want to spend.

FWIW, I think the new Endurace model (4,000 w/ Rival ETap) clears 35mm and looks like a solid bike.

Can also get a regular Caledonia w/ Rival ETAP for 4400
Old 03-11-22, 09:14 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I wouldn't let the BB debate dominate your choice of bike here. There are other far more important considerations like fit and geometry. People tend to over-state the potential issues with press-fit BBs. There are an awful lot of people riding around happily on them.

This is great advice. Get the bike that fits and you like and ignore the BB standard. I’ve had a number of bikes with a PFbottom bracket and only one ever creaked, and that was the quality of the SRAM BB, not the bike itself or the shell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.