Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 04:59 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
A belated trip report on the July 4 ride up Glendora Mountain Road.

First, bug thanks to the folks who humored me through changing my gearing to allow me to try this ride on my vintage Ironman ("Miami Vice" model). I spent mot of the day in 39/28.

Got there later than I meant to, but that meant that I came across JimmyNH in the parking lot; thankfully, he has posted pics here, so I knew it was him. Mentioned that I had seen him at the ride two years before. Also realized that I had left sunscreen at home, but decided it would be worth the pain to go without it. It was.

I've done this ride the previous two years - nearly all of my riding is commuting with occasional shorter rides thrown in. This was the longest ride I've done in decades - 45 miles from the parking lot to the village, where I met up with JimmyNH again. We had a nice chat while we rested, and then started down the hill together. He lost me a few times on the descents, but in general it was fun to ride with him.

Anyway, it was a good day, sunburn has started to peel, and I'm back to commuting this week. Back for more next year!
JimmyNH sighting! haven’t seen/ridden with him for a few years but it sounds like he’s still a fast climber.
Old 07-12-22, 10:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

somewhat south bay san diego 48-miler. wanted to cruise the border but 3 flats in 10 miles truncated riding plans somewhat, after no flats for approx 8 months,
5 flats in the last two rides/days. go figure. one pinch flat. one goathead (been 6 years since so okay). two (suspected bougainvillea cuttings)
thorns and one sidewall cut with a bulging tube. life in the big city. no...tubeless is not an option after what i witnessed first hand this last saturday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7459658086#kudos
Old 07-13-22, 10:14 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
JimmyNH sighting! haven’t seen/ridden with him for a few years but it sounds like he’s still a fast climber.
Yes, he must be - I'm pretty sure he started well after I did, and when I got the village I turned around, there he was. Descends fast, too!

Last edited by Chinghis; 07-13-22 at 12:12 PM.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 07-13-22, 09:49 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 441 Posts
I did 31 miles last night riding from DTLA and climbing Chevy Chase Canyon with my Tuesday night ride group. I got dropped by some fast riders on steel gravel bikes and even a fixed gear rider while I was on my lighter carbon road bike. It's getting harder for me to beat some of these younger, stronger cyclists! After we did the climb a few of us broke away from the main ride group and headed to the new 6th Street Bridge. I have to say it's actually pretty nice. Though the bike lanes they included are more of an afterthought, with just small speed bumpers separating them from the main road. It would have been nice if they just expanded the sidewalk area to include the bike lanes, though what do you expect from a city with the best cycling weather and simultaneously the worst cycling infrastructure!

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 07-13-22, 10:51 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

meandering san diego 74-miler with a riding buddy that joined in for the last third of that. decent day. no flats.
relatively unexciting except for the discovery of the new pizza port outpost (as rumored) in imperial beach about 3 blocks from the ocean
on the corner of 2nd and palm (the main w> <e drag thru ib). the hiring sign is up and they look to be approx 2 weeks
from opening. prefer the nearby pizzeria luigi for actual pizza but pizza port slays with own/visitor brews. decisions, decisions...

https://www.strava.com/activities/7465172976
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-15-22, 03:07 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
A couple of get out early rides to beat some of the heat in the Puente-Whittier Hills.
Enjoyed the East-West Rds corridor on Weds and ran into a roadie and MTB rider on Cypress and again on Fiore.
Glad to see others know of the quiet roads La Habra Hgts has to offer.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40180700

Headed out this morning to the Turnbull Cyn area.
Stopped to take a better look at an Appaloosa with a swayback.
Uneventful but it looks like a warm and smoggy summer like the ones I recall in the 1980's.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40206251

Near Edgeridge/Skyline.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-15-22, 08:46 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

up to camp pendleton and back. was going to ride thru and back with the pass but main road in the base just past the newish hospital on the south end
was closed and there was a detour in place. decided to turn around instead of possibly losing riding privileges in the base. had i been riding south
after taking the train and heading home, probably woulda risked it. looks like that segment of road is closed until july 20th. there was no notice or
mention of the cyclist route closure/potential detour at the main (southern) gate so probably coulda gotten away with it but wasn't feeling the vibe.
was gonna hit pizza port san clemente for lunchtime grog and grub but settled for the carlsbad location in the village. the "locals only" ipa is super
crushable and delicious. almost stopped at angelo's burgers in (southern end of) oceanside on the coast highway/pch for lunch...almost. next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7475344364

Last edited by diphthong; 07-15-22 at 08:53 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-15-22, 10:07 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Accidentally did a metric century on a fixie.

First of all, I should have checked this forum before taking the Metrolink up to LA. Got off at Norwalk/SantaFe Springs to check out a route to the SGRT I have been scouting by satellite. I took Bloomfield north from Imperial. That turns into Santa Fe Springs, then left on Los Nietos to the river trail. Took it north to Pico Rivera just for shts n ggls, then headed back south since my destination was an errand to 10th and Ximeno in Long Beach.

Turns out SGRT is closed at Belflower for construction. I talked to one of the workers. They are trenching a sewer line under it and it will be going on for another couple of months. Quick-Pull out the phone and check maps. Best route I could find was to get over to Woodruff. First mile was iffy due to no bike lanes, but I soldiered through it.

Finally made it to Long Beach to discover I had brought a lock, but there was no key. Found a bike shop. Had to wait forty five minutes for it to open and they only had U locks, which I knew wouldn't fit where I was planning to park it, so had to find an Ace Hardware. Errand that was planned to be done by 10:30, was done by almost 1:00, after adding mucho unplanned miles in downtown LB.

An aside about Long Beach. This was the first time I had biked there in many years. I rode about two or four miles along Broadway's "Protected Bike Lanes." GAWD! Never Again. It actually makes the intersections MORE dangerous due to sucky visibility. You cannot ride at any decent speed since in parts it's a glorified sidewalk. Stupid idea.

Pretty routine after that. Bellflower Blvd to PCH to Warner, jog down to Slater so I had Bike lane all the way to SART. Detour again south a mile to Moon Park to refill water, then North to catch Metrolink home at ARTIC.

This is the longest one day I have ever done on the fixie. Planing on a solo century along SART, hopefully by end of the month.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-16-22, 07:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
46 miles down to the Wedge on PCH and beach bike paths.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-17-22, 03:19 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Cruised the Puente Hills including Vantage Pointe, Cypress-Avocado Crest-Walnut-Skyline, Ardsheal, Murphy Ranch and Turnbull Canyon.
47 miles and 5.7K of climb under partly cloudy skies helped keep the heat down until the last climb up Turnbull.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40231810

Vantage Pointe looking west towards La Habra Hgts and Powder Canyon
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-17-22, 11:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

a (mostly) coastal c-note in (mostly) orange county. that sunday laguna beach pch traffic ain't no joke.
thank goodness for taking the lane and multiple blinkie lights. within a mile of the coast fogsocked all day. mission viejo got toasty tho.
tons of cyclists on the coast and along the path to san juan capistrano. once past the sjc mission, saw one other cyclist in 35 miles. weird.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7486938569

Last edited by diphthong; 07-17-22 at 11:42 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-18-22, 08:52 AM
igorgroks

a (mostly) coastal c-note in (mostly) orange county. that sunday laguna beach pch traffic ain't no joke.
thank goodness for taking the lane and multiple blinkie lights. within a mile of the coast fogsocked all day. mission viejo got toasty tho.
tons of cyclists on the coast and along the path to san juan capistrano. once past the sjc mission, saw one other cyclist in 35 miles. weird.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7486938569
Las Olas in SC is da bomb. One of my favorites southbound.
Likes For igorgroks:
Old 07-18-22, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Sunday morning dirt therapy...JPL - Flint Canyon - Cherry Canyon - Glendale Sports Complex (19 mi). Good ride. Not a lot of technically-demanding sections, but lots of singletrack and steady tempo-effort pedaling. Felt the best I've felt in a while on the bike. My new (to me) MTB is letting me ride the steepest sections that I had to walk my singlespeed - I'm digging that. I'm still trying to shake out a few creaking issues on the bike, but seem to have it isolated to the freehub body (a known issue with Shimano Micro Spline). I didn't get started until 9am, so it was pretty warm out, and pretty damn hot by the end, but I managed it well, and drank a lot of water, including a refill stop at GSC.

Old 07-21-22, 12:11 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
randomly wanted to ride a century after 2yr break from long rides. It was slow but didn't cramp or bonk, so was a good day.

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 07-21-22, 09:19 PM
TakingMyTime

51 miles down PCH to Crystal Cove by myself. I left a little early and forgot how crazy those drivers on PCH are when trying to get to work.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 07-22-22, 02:32 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
51 miles down PCH to Crystal Cove by myself. I left a little early and forgot how crazy those drivers on PCH are when trying to get to work.
good thing the bootlegger bar is at the bottom of the hill there in cc state park.
Old 07-22-22, 07:47 AM
TakingMyTime

good thing the bootlegger bar is at the bottom of the hill there in cc state park.
LOL, to be honest I never even knew it existed (I had to look it up). You sir appear to know every corner and every backroad in So Cal. We usually stop at the burger place at the top of the hill right above "The bootlegger bar".
Old 07-22-22, 11:24 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by igorgroks
I rode about two or four miles along Broadway's "Protected Bike Lanes." GAWD! Never Again. It actually makes the intersections MORE dangerous due to sucky visibility. You cannot ride at any decent speed since in parts it's a glorified sidewalk. Stupid idea.
Tustin is also doing that on Newport Avenue, such that it is (from left to right) road, curb, sidewalk, grass, and bike lane. The bike lane ends up being used by both pedestrians and cyclists, neither of whom follow the direction arrows on the bike lane. And I have seen one almost get clipped by a car turning right at an intersection. These so-called protected bike lanes are not designed by or for cyclists.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-22-22, 01:12 PM
igorgroks

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
These so-called protected bike lanes are not designed by or for cyclists.
I had a conversation with a PR flak with LA MTA over some dustup I had with bikes on transit. She looked me in the face and said she rode too. I asked her how often and how many miles a week and she changed the subject.
Old 07-23-22, 01:41 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
LOL, to be honest I never even knew it existed (I had to look it up). You sir appear to know every corner and every backroad in So Cal. We usually stop at the burger place at the top of the hill right above "The bootlegger bar".
TakingMyTime like to stop at the old shake shack on pch (just up the stairway from the bootlegger bar) as well. plenty of both salty food and space for
bikes (not always easy to find). have done both the top and bottom of the stairs once or twice. some def black holes in the personal “heatmap” (hello santa clarita!) but i try to hit new/infrequent (for me) roads when i can. traffic patterns, density, road quality, bike lane additions, etc change so if it has been a few years, it’s possibly a different experience. hopefully, this thread comes in handy for that.
Old 07-24-22, 01:55 PM
CAT7RDR

More local training miles in the old Whittier Heights area before the name was changed to Hacienda Heights and Avocado Grove.
Repeated Edgeridge thrice in preparation for some San Gabriel Mtns rides soon.
Managed 48 miles and 6.6K of climb on a cloudy morning before the sun broke through.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40321730

Note: LASD is issuing trespassing citations for those that park and enter the Puente Hills Preserve before 0900 the official opening hour.
Saw three vehicles with citations parked next to the spur trail on Turnbull Cyn that connects with Skyline Trail.
Sometimes MTB'ers start from this spot but I mostly see hikers.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-24-22, 10:25 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

took the gravel bike (diverge) with some friends..... to Mt Soledad + some laps on Fiesta Island.

Old 07-25-22, 08:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Back on Bike After 1 Month Hiatus

Usual 33 mile ride down to and around Newport Back Bay after 1 month enforced hiatus due to let foot metatarsalgia: sounds serious, but is just a big word for (undiagnosed) pain in the ball of the foot. Doctor is a cyclists too (but MTB only) and sent me home with a pair of unused crutches. Lost 1 mph average speed on this route, and quads, hamstrings, and palms are killing me. At least today was not hot.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 07-27-22, 03:39 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Wednesday lunch along the 56 bike trail and Del Mar, wind in all directions kind of day

Old 07-28-22, 10:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Yesterday's afternoon delight - quick, hot, and dirty - Fern TT up to Brown Mountain Saddle and descent via Rising Hill (9.4mi, 1400'). I can get this ride done in an hour door-to-door from my house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.