Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A very noobish question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A very noobish question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-22, 11:57 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, 6 years after introduction is not a lot of generations down the line, but y'know, half-empty, half-full. Never actually saw one of those, so the accessory doesn't appear to have caught on.

Fun piece of trivia that it exists, though! Do you have a picture of it?
No, they didn't catch on, and I didn't even know they existed until last year, when one popped up in an eBay search! I bought one just to see what it was. Looks like indyfabz has directed you to photos of it.
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-03-22, 12:23 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I have coached many new cyclists, and the OP raises an important point that confuses many. When you push on the left shifter, which controls the front derailleur, it makes the bike 'faster' as the chain goes into a bigger cog.

On the right side, when you push on the shifter, it moves the chain into a bigger cog, which makes the bike 'slower' for easier pedaling. So the left and right shifters do opposite things. It is easy to forget this inconsistency as we become experienced riders. I imagine that there a lot of things that I take for granted on a bike, that a new rider notices and is confused by.

Nevertheless, new riders should be coached not to look at the shift indicators or the gearing, but through experience, learn to shift gears by feel. Riding a bike is like playing hockey: if you have your head down, you are going to get creamed.

Similarly, riders should not be using headphones, or riding while inebriated, or fiddling with a phone, GPS or bike computer, or being in sightseeing or coffee-clatch mode, or being distracted by pain, anger, joy or any other emotion. Safe riding is a Zen thing.
Old 06-03-22, 12:51 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Bikes are not cars.
When I drove manually shifting cars the shift lever was very long and originating from the floorboard - why aren't bikes like that?
My bike has no reverse - why?

Do new bicycles come with instruction manuals, like they used to?
Did anyone ever read them?

edit: I ride a dozen vintage bikes with friction shifting (and I suffer hearing loss), so I look at my chainline routinely after a shift.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-03-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 01:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have coached many new cyclists, and the OP raises an important point that confuses many. When you push on the left shifter, which controls the front derailleur, it makes the bike 'faster' as the chain goes into a bigger cog.

On the right side, when you push on the shifter, it moves the chain into a bigger cog, which makes the bike 'slower' for easier pedaling. So the left and right shifters do opposite things. It is easy to forget this inconsistency as we become experienced riders. I imagine that there a lot of things that I take for granted on a bike, that a new rider notices and is confused by.

Nevertheless, new riders should be coached not to look at the shift indicators or the gearing, but through experience, learn to shift gears by feel. Riding a bike is like playing hockey: if you have your head down, you are going to get creamed.

Similarly, riders should not be using headphones, or riding while inebriated, or fiddling with a phone, GPS or bike computer, or being in sightseeing or coffee-clatch mode, or being distracted by pain, anger, joy or any other emotion. Safe riding is a Zen thing.
thinking of my brifters...pushing the big shifter moves the chain in the direction of the push. but i've been riding so long that i really don't think much about it...it just happens when i need it to.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-03-22, 02:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
thinking of my brifters shifters...pushing the big shifter moves the chain in the direction of the push. but i've been riding so long that i really don't think much about it...it just happens when i need it to.
Yes, this is another way of explaining it, probably the better way for a novice so they understand what's going on.
Old 06-03-22, 02:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
7700 was released in 1996, several years after STI hit the market, so STI had been around a while. The indicator was an after-market accessory, if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, it was a little thing that was place inline on the derailleur housing just a couple inches from the shifter. The cable ran through it and had a little orange ring that moved w/ the cable and indicated which cog you were on.
Old 06-03-22, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
thinking of my brifters...pushing the big shifter moves the chain in the direction of the push. but i've been riding so long that i really don't think much about it...it just happens when i need it to.

I just got a bike with SRAM brifters, and the one lever thing is driving me a little nuts because I keep trying to work them like they're STI.
Old 06-03-22, 04:21 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Id wager that most of you hating on indicators ride around cross chaining. indicators are especially useful on bikes with 3 chainrings
Old 06-03-22, 05:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Id wager that most of you hating on indicators ride around cross chaining. indicators are especially useful on bikes with 3 chainrings
I don’t. I have downtube shifters.
Old 06-03-22, 05:21 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
You can hear cross chaining. You can hear the cross chaining of other riders. (Or you can look.)

(Note that I'm not one of the ones hating on indicators. It's a real dumb/bizarre thing to hate on.)
Old 06-03-22, 06:52 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Says who? I ride 5 different bikes, I like to know how the same gear combination might feel different on the different bikes, so I do occasionally need to look at my gears to figure out precisely what combo I'm using in a given situation.

Your first sentence makes the rest of your comment somewhat ironic, btw.
Likely wears white knee socks...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-03-22, 06:53 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by prj71
You can't tell by how it feels in your legs and the amount off effort required?

Like I said...7 bikes in my household and not one has an indicator on the shifter. About the only time I've seen an indicator on a shifter is on the cheap walmart bikes.
Doesn't matter how it feels in the legs...you still look down hoping to see one more gear...that is why it's called the "bail out" gear after all...but, sigh, sometimes it's just not there.
Old 06-03-22, 06:57 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Or on the really cool bikes we had when we were kids. One of the hand-me-down bikes I had as a kid was a purple 5-speed which had a big banana seat, a chrome sissy bar and a huge shifter that looked like it came out of a Z28 Camaro. It was the coolest bike ever! Too bad I outgrew it in a couple of years....
That is an entirely different bike that many of us would have died to own...we just got in a repro "grape crate" from the run of 500 back in the 90's...the shop where I wrench...it is in perfect condition, never ridden on a street, it was a display in a guys home auto museum...we just go it back...oh man sitting on that brought back so many wonderful memories...I wanted an Apple Crate so bad...got a three speed English Racer instead...sigh, not one of the cool kids
Old 06-03-22, 07:00 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by njkayaker
At 60 RPM, it's 22.7 MPH. Lugging at 50 RPM, it's 18.9 MPH.
even at 50rpm and 18.9mph that is moving along quite nicely...ride on !
Old 06-03-22, 07:32 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Seems …….. unlikely.
Old 06-03-22, 07:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Likely wears white knee socks...

I'll never understand knee socks, but I'm embarrassed by the fact that I didn't realize black was a better color for socks while biking until I was in my 50s.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-22, 07:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's exactly how it works, other dude's incredulity notwithstanding. Lot of speed with a low cadence. Mashing a high gear is very efficient.
Old 06-03-22, 08:14 PM
LarrySellerz

You can hear cross chaining. You can hear the cross chaining of other riders. (Or you can look.)

(Note that I'm not one of the ones hating on indicators. It's a real dumb/bizarre thing to hate on.)
If youre cross chaining so badly that you can hear it youve cross chained well beyond the point where the bike is "happiest." I probably worry too much about cross chaining though
Old 06-03-22, 08:26 PM
njkayaker

If youre cross chaining so badly that you can hear it youve cross chained well beyond the point where the bike is "happiest." I probably worry too much about cross chaining though
I use a rule of number of chainrings minus one.

So, for a double, it’s the largest sprocket. And, for a triple, it’s the largest two. Using small/small doesn’t matter as much.

A quick look (if it’s even needed) is enough to check for someone with some experience.

If someone finds the indicators helpful, no one should care.

With hidden cables (the standard for 12+ years), there’s no place for the inline indicators.
Old 06-03-22, 08:26 PM
njkayaker

So, for a double, it’s the largest sprocket. And, for a triple, it’s the largest two. Using small/small doesn’t matter as much.

A quick look (if it’s even needed) is enough to check for someone with some experience.

With hidden cables (the standard for 12+ years), there’s no place for the inline indicators.
Old 06-03-22, 08:27 PM
LarrySellerz

That's exactly how it works, other dude's incredulity notwithstanding. Lot of speed with a low cadence. Mashing a high gear is very efficient.
im only 26 and my right knee hurts just thinking about enjoying cruising along at 19 mph with 50 rpm cadence
Old 06-03-22, 08:33 PM
njkayaker

im only 26 and my right knee hurts just thinking about enjoying cruising along at 19 mph with 50 rpm cadence
If it was the best way of doing it, it would be normal. And experts would be recommending it.

It’s not normal.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-22 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-03-22, 08:34 PM
LarrySellerz

The big ring on a 21 speed tripple (probably the most common 3 ring setup) should only be used with the 3 smallest cogs. There are only 9 ratios you should use on those bikes,
1/1,1/2,1/3,
2/3,2/4,2/5
3/5,3/6,3/7
Any other ratio is cross chaining. IDK about other setups because ive mainly ridden 21 speed bikes, but I imagine it is similar.
Old 06-03-22, 08:36 PM
njkayaker

If it was “very efficient”, it would be normal to do and experts would recommend doing it.

Incredulity is the appropriate response.

That you made no mention of speed makes it even less credible.
Old 06-03-22, 08:39 PM
njkayaker

The big ring on a 21 speed tripple (probably the most common 3 ring setup) should only be used with the 3 smallest cogs. There are only 9 ratios you should use on those bikes,
1/1,1/2,1/3,
2/3,2/4,2/5
3/5,3/6,3/7
Any other ratio is cross chaining. IDK about other setups because ive mainly ridden 21 speed bikes, but I imagine it is similar.
Citation needed.

You really should research what experts* say to do rather than doing what you think based on who-knows-what (it’s not experience).

————————————

* I don’t mean people in these forums. (Except for rchung.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-22 at 08:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.