Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton A Line modification

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-11-22, 05:01 AM
monsterfather

Bikes: Folding Change; road bike LIV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Can a Brompton A line internal 3-speed system be replaced by external gear set? Any successful examples please share…
Old 02-11-22, 09:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
I'm guessing you want something more than replacing the three-speed hub with a Brompton factory two-speed derailleur?

Various Asian manufacturers of the Andrew Ritchie design offer factory derailleur geared models. Here's the MIT V8:

Old 03-05-22, 03:09 AM
TBM.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah nothing stopping you, switch the hub, miniMODs probably make the easiest kit to fit on and ride
Old 06-07-22, 02:13 AM
childcarepro

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you pull the trigger?

Originally Posted by monsterfather
Can a Brompton A line internal 3-speed system be replaced by external gear set? Any successful examples please share…
I've found several Youtube videos of people who have done this, the best one I found is: [Sorry, can't post links yet - Twisted Wheels is his channel]
This guy got his down to 7.0 kg (15.43 lb), but looks like he started with an ultralight (titanium fork, rear triangle): [Ian Chew is his channel]

Have you pulled the trigger yet? I'm very interested in doing this, to shave possibly 3 lbs off the already light A line (23.1 lbs). YouTuber above says his IGH weighed 1.5 kg - not pounds, kilograms! Or I could be happy with the 23 lbs, which is pretty light already. Maybe not to road bike standards, but my Townie Balloon 7i weighs 37 lbs, so pretty light to me!

The possibility of a sub-20 lb Brompton without springing for a $3K P-line is very appealing to me. Of course, I'll be spending possibly $1K, but it will weigh less than a stock P line. And if I bought a P-line, I'd probably spend another $2K to get to 7-8 kg.