Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing Tourney on Peugeot Road Bike 1983

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-15-22, 03:32 AM
Ilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

my rear tourney broke a few days ago on my 80ies roadbike. Does anyone know if just buying a new 6-7 speed shimano one would fit, or if I need something more 'special'.

Many thanks!
i
Old 06-15-22, 06:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
If it has the original friction shifter almost anything will work. Match the cage length (distance between the two pulleys) so your chain length will work.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

If there's a bike co-op near you they'll have a bin full of salvaged derailleurs and they can help you install it. You will need to break the chain, and you might want to check it for wear.
Old 06-15-22, 07:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
There are two common designs in how a rear der attaches to the drop out (and a few ders that attach elsewhere). Either the drop out has only an axle slot and the der needs a hanger plate (these days called a claw) that fits within the drop out slot. Or the drop out has an integral hanger and the der only needs the proper mounting bolt (of which there are variations too). Being a French bike it is possible that the drop out might be Simplex der attachment specific too.

Do you know which spec you need? The other aspect is that some older Euro shift levers don't pull as much cable as the Asian versions did. But with only 6 (likely) cogs not much cable pull will be needed.

If we had more info we could be more specific in our advice. Andy
Old 06-15-22, 10:53 AM
Ilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for your prompt replies. I tried to attach some pictures, unfortunately the forum says I need to have had 10 posts before I can upload some.

The tourney's brand is a 'simplex' if that helps. I'm not sure if it has a claw. It is attached with a bolt which goes through a hole, which is below the rear wheel.
Old 06-16-22, 08:04 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Can you post photos to the forum gallery then one of us can transfer them here? or post to a photo shating site and give us the link but with "@" becoming "at", "." becomes "dot" and a space is placed between parts of the link (to get around the auto censor).

I seriously question the possibility that Shimano (who makes the Tourney series of parts) would have used another brand's name for a model. If so I would really like to see this as in my 49 years of LBS work I have never seen a Shimano part labeled as a Simplex.

As to the mounting method- Both a hanger plate attached to the der and bolted into the drop out slot and a direct mount der will have some sort of upper pivot and bolt and a direct mount type can be attached to a hanger plate too. Some direct mount ders have a mounting bolt that is not threaded into the drop out hanger but can have a backing nut to hold the der on the drop out. Knowing which type is pretty important to chose the correct replacement. This is one of those aspects that an experienced eye can figure out in mere seconds, far less time than it takes to write all this. Andy
Old 06-16-22, 12:44 PM
Ilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again Andy!

I hope you can find the picture on an album in gallery if you click on my username.

Maybe I was not clear in my first description. The original tourney is by simplex - not shimano. I was wondering if to replace it with a shimano
Old 06-16-22, 05:09 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 329 Posts
I think what you’re calling the “tourney” is the derailleur. Tourney is a low end model of derailleur, made by Shimano.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 06-16-22, 05:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Pic assist:

It appears that the derailleur is mounted on an integral hanger. Depending on how old the frame is, the hanger may be unthreaded (Simplex derailleurs did not require a threaded hanger). If the hanger is threaded, replacing the derailleur should be a matter of removing the old one and mounting and adjusting the new one. Depending on the specific dropout and replacement derailleur, some filing of the hanger may be needed to properly mount the replacement. Be aware that, unlike other derailleurs, Simplex mounting bolts are accessed from the back side of the dropout.

If the hanger is unthreaded, you can use a tap to cut 10mm x 1mm threads in the hanger to mount a non-Simplex derailleur.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
simplex-do-mount.jpg (106.6 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 06-16-22 at 05:44 PM.
Likes For JohnDThompson: