Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Mezzo/Ori folding bike upgrades?

Old 12-13-20, 03:28 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
Two-part article from 2019 on the Ori M10 in Italian from an LBS in Barcelona (Chrome: Right-click → "Translate to English")

Folding Style ©: Ori Bikes
Old 04-03-21, 03:58 PM
Geoffroy2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good evening to all!

It is great to see that this thread was still going strong in 2020! This is really a goldmine for Mezzo owners and I wonder if there would be a way to download it and store it in case it disappears.

I am now thinking about improving the braking power of my bike after realising that it will not stop early enough in any emergency situation. I have noted the various advice but it seems that swiss stop and coolpad pads have different spec to fit shimano brakes or others. In 2021 which ones can I buy to replace the stock low quality pads I have? Would it be worth changing the actual brake levers as well? This bike is from circa 2008 I would assume.

Also I hear friction when actioning the rear wheel by hand but it does not seem to come from anywhere. The wheel is mounted around a Nexus i4. Is this a possible area of failure?

Finally, I find the saddle very very uncomfortable. What could I replace it with? (Male, not found of saddles that hard!).

Thank you in advance for your response and thank you all for the various detailed advice which allowed me to adjust grub screws here and there and make my bike a much safer one.

Kind regards

G
Old 04-04-21, 02:47 PM
Geoffroy2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Responding to myself! I found the reference I was looking for earlier in the thread for the brakes. It is really hard to buy them in the UK at the moment.
Old 04-05-21, 02:20 AM
MezzoLew

Bikes: Mezzo D9, Nigel Dean Tour Master

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Geoffroy2020
It is really hard to buy them in the UK at the moment.
Please explain - is it shopping under Covid rules or supply problems? Online shopping is also as good as ever.
Old 04-05-21, 04:13 AM
Geoffroy2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you MezzoLew for your response I should have given a bit more details. I looked for the items online only.

I looked for a set of the swiss stop bpx flash pro at Wiggle and Amazon and basically could find only one. I bought it but it will be coming from abroad I believe rather than a UK seller. I might have found another seller which is in the UK but it was 40 GBP for a pair which is a bit too much for me.

Old 04-06-21, 09:00 AM
Winfried

It is great to see that this thread was still going strong in 2020! This is really a goldmine for Mezzo owners and I wonder if there would be a way to download it and store it in case it disappears.
https://gofile.io/d/d5Ihef

wkhtmltopdf didn't work too well to turn the whole thing into a single PDF, so stayed with the original HTML.
Old 04-09-21, 06:15 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts

Finally, I find the saddle very very uncomfortable. What could I replace it with? (Male, not found of saddles that hard!).

G
Saddles can be a very personal thing. I will ride with anything as a saddle, because I have ridden a lot in my life, but I prefer something minimal and without padding. If you do not ride much then you might like to try out some bikes at a bike shop to see what kind of seat would suit you. If you do plan to ride a lot then you might find that the padded ones can chaff after a while, especially when the weather is hot.
Old 04-18-21, 05:00 AM
Geoffroy2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good afternoon,

Thank you Winfried and Geepig! I have bought a saddle in the end (brooks cambium C17). It does attach but it does not seem possible to adjust the tilt (the saddle is not level at the moment). Is the Mezzo saddle clamp traditionally fixed or could mine have somehow cold soldered itself?

I wish you all a nice and sunny Sunday.

Geoffroy
Old 04-18-21, 07:29 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Good afternoon,

Thank you Winfried and Geepig! I have bought a saddle in the end (brooks cambium C17). It does attach but it does not seem possible to adjust the tilt (the saddle is not level at the moment). Is the Mezzo saddle clamp traditionally fixed or could mine have somehow cold soldered itself?

I wish you all a nice and sunny Sunday.

Geoffroy
Loosen the clamp more than you would to slide the saddle on the rails. When you have it very loose raise it up. It the clamp likely has teeth used for tilt adjustment and see if it will rotate.
Old 04-18-21, 09:10 AM
Geoffroy2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good afternoon Schwinnsta,

I have completely removed the bolt and the top of the clamp. The bottom bit seems welded/stuck on the teethed bed. I have tried to hammer it out a bit but to no avail.

Is cycling in Nola a bit more "mainstream"? I lived Uptown from 2000 to 2003, relying on my bike 80% of the time. It was quite an adventure!

Geoff
Old 04-18-21, 11:01 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Cycling in NOLA has greatly expanded. With more cyclists out there it has become safer too.
Old 05-06-21, 12:51 PM
Geoffroy2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the end I hit the clamp (much) harder and it came out! I now have a new saddle.

Thanks to the help of all the contributors to this thread I managed to tweak the Mezzo I4 and make it a safe cycling experience with efficient breaking, a rigid stem (better steering) and a healthy saddle. The last safety related thing I want to now correct is the front fork. Basically I have tried to set the fork so that the quick-release (klix) fits deep in the dropouts to avoid damaging the right dropout lips but to no avail. Is it even possible? Also how do I know that the bolts on the fork are tight enough?

Good evening to all.

G
Old 10-08-21, 02:45 PM
hihi2u2

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
10 speed cassette on an original D9 wheelset?

Hi guys,

I've recently got a second D9 to mess around with, mainly adding a dropbar and STI shifters. I have a spare Tiagra and started to install it and its completed now. Then I realised that the Tiagra is a 10 speed shifter and wouldn't work with the original 9 speed cassette. Anyone tried to fit a 10 speed cassette onto the original D9 wheelset? I've got a spare 10 speed cassette that I can fit. But was wondering whether anyone know if the original freehub could fit a 10 speed ? Or the cheaper and lazy way is to get a 9 speed STI.
I was thinking in the long run, I would get some carbon rims to make the bike lighter. Ive already removed the rear rack and installed supporting wheels in its place to save some weight. Anyone tried getting the mezzo as light as possible?
​​​​​​
Old 06-17-22, 04:05 AM
Winfried

Oribike no longers manufactures a front rack/low rider to carry a pair of panniers. Would a third-party solution work on that fork that requires removing the wheel for folding?

Alternatively, could a ~20 liter bag sit either on the stem+handlebar, or above the frame?

Another solution could be to split stuff in three bags: Stem, saddle (eg. Carradice), and rear rack.

Has anyone used an Ori/Mezzo for touring?