Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I might get the Trek FX4 Carbon. Help me make a reasonable decision.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 12:25 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I have owned a Trek Emonda ALR for 5 years. I have always liked my bike but in recent months I've been feeling some discomfort in the areas of my hands. Nothing too painful, but I'm noticing it. I think there's always been a part of me that has noticed it, but it only took until now to add up. I went to the shop and they made adjustments on numerous occasions, but I just can't seem to conquer this issue no matter what we try. We've lowered the handles, raised the handles, I wear gloves, etc..

So the guy there introduced me to the FX4 Carbon Sport as a secondary bike. He said it's really hot on the market and the handles take away all the pressure. I tried it. It definitely didn't have the performance of my ALR. He says that later I can swap tires for road tires.

I'm thinking about getting it. I'm tired of having the discomfort in my hands. I'm thinking I would like to have a more comfortable bike when I'm not going on super long rides. The issue is the price. The FX3 is much lower in price at the shop. If I got the X4, I would pay it on my new credit card, which charges no interest for 24 months. I'm just trying to figure out if I would happy with this bike. I'm guessing it would be sort of a secondary bike though, I rode it and it still feels kind of weird. But I'm used to clipless pedals and road tires. But being able to ride every now and then without the pressure could be a big benefit.
Old 06-18-22, 01:13 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Guessing this is the same as theTrek FX Sport. If you are used to "road gearing", you may want to read this: Trek FX Sport Carbon 4 gears - Bike Forums
Seems like adjustments could be made to help with hand pressure. Did the shop try moving the saddle back. Sounds counter intuitive but it has been known to help, as it engages your core, relieving some of the pressure on hands.
Old 06-18-22, 09:54 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
There should be an infinite number of adjustments to do that should alleviate the hand discomfort. That's a fantastic bike. The fx is not a substitute.
Old 06-18-22, 10:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I'm tempted to get it, and I kind of hate hybrids. It looks like a great deal for the price.

Have you tried a drop-bar bike, or more backswept handlebars?
Old 06-18-22, 10:04 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
I own an ALR 5 and a hybrid. Depends on where you ride and how you choose to ride. And...there is certainly nothing wrong with N+1.
Old 06-19-22, 05:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
You might look at getting a longer stem to eliminate the pressure on your hands. I recently moved my Domane from 100mm stem to a 120 after I got a profession fitting. I was having somewhat the same issue, just a slight buzzing in the hands and was not sure if I needed to got from 110 or 120. I was also able to test the longer stem before I bought one as one of the mechs at my LBS had one for me to try first which confirmed the fitting.

Old 06-20-22, 08:50 PM
endless mtn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm really enjoying my new FX4 but I still get numbness in my hands and a sore butt. But I'm having so much fun on my FX4 that I don't care as much.