Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano RD/FD-1056 Flat Handlebar Shifters compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-23-22, 05:20 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 233 Posts

After doing an inventory of all my spare parts, I have figured out I can build another bike. I've got pretty much everything, except the cockpit. The frame (cheap steel) originally came with a steel drop handlebar and downtube shifters. I would like to build it up with a flat / riser handlebar. The problem is that I don't have any MTB drivetrain parts (and really want to use what I have) so the bicycle is getting a double FD-1056 and a 8 speed RD-1056. The rear wheel is going to have a 7 sprocket Shimano HG freewheel. Crankset is going to be Shimano FC-1056 (52 & 39T chainrings). Are there any indexed flat handlebar, rapid/fire style shifters that would work without too much fuss? I'm less worried about the RD, that will most likely work just fine with alternative cable routing (I used that RD with 8 speed shifters before, probably best shifting I experienced to date). The main problem is the FD. Most of the shifters I see are for triple chainwheels. And I'm not sure, but they seem to have some sort of indexing also? What would be the best solution for that? Ditch the FD shifters and use a thumb shifter instead? Or is there something nice and sleek that would work? I'm currently thinking about SL R440, at least for the back.
Old 06-23-22, 05:54 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
I set up a 2x7 bike for a buddy using Exage Action RD/FD and modern Altus trigger shifters and it all works great together. Yes the FD shifter is indexed but it works fine.
Old 06-23-22, 03:40 PM
VintageSteelEU

That's promising. Exage Action was a road group, after all. I found some Altus SL-315 shifters, need to read up on them before I take a plunge. Thanks for the tip, didn't think of Altus. I've seen a bicycle using some Tiagra shifters with a road group, but Altus is probably more than enough for a beater bike.
Old 06-23-22, 05:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
If you are using a road FD, you’ll need a road compatible shifter. I think you can fudge with a mtb shifter because I think it pulls more cable. The cable will have to have some slack.

The easier approach is to use a thumb shifter. This is what I’m using on a flat bar 2x7. With a 2x, there really isn’t any advantage indexing as the lever moves one way to shift up and the other to shift down.

John
Old 06-23-22, 08:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If you are using a road FD, you’ll need a road compatible shifter. I think you can fudge with a mtb shifter because I think it pulls more cable. The cable will have to have some slack.

The easier approach is to use a thumb shifter. This is what I’m using on a flat bar 2x7. With a 2x, there really isn’t any advantage indexing as the lever moves one way to shift up and the other to shift down.

John
up through 9 speeds, the RD pull ratios are the same between road and MTB groups.
The FD pull ratios are different. But back in the 7 speed era, Shimano typically used a friction shifter on the left. Only the right shifter had indexing. Like these Deore shifters:

These should work fine for the OP
Old 06-23-22, 08:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
up through 9 speeds, the RD pull ratios are the same between road and MTB groups.
The FD pull ratios are different. But back in the 7 speed era, Shimano typically used a friction shifter on the left. Only the right shifter had indexing. Like these Deore shifters:

These should work fine for the OP
Not necessarily.

Shimano ran 3x7 speed triggers. I currently have a set of 3x7 LX-563 and mid 90’s STX, currently in use on one bike, that I’ve run with various cranks.

But I do agree that friction for the FD, especially with a 2x, is probably the best route.

John
Old 06-24-22, 02:45 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Definitely agree with the other folks that a friction shifter for the FD would yield the smoothest shifting.
Old 06-24-22, 05:59 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
In all fairness, I almost never use FD on my other bicycles. Too flat around. It is set up and I make sure it works properly, but during adjustments is the only time when smaller chain ring gets any use
Still, I'm not the one who'll be using that bicycle and anyway I like when everything works as it should. Thumb shifter would totally be a viable option.