Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMC Roadmachine 01 Mod requires new wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-22, 05:27 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

Bought a Roadmachine 01 in Ultegra mechanical groupset with DT Swiss alu wheels in 2017. Found that bike for $2,300 on eBay, a demo liquidated by an online reseller.

The frame cracked during a road bike trip in the Dolomites and BMC sent me a brand new BMC Roadmachine 01 Mod frameset as a warrant replacement and didn’t charge me the $7,800 for the new Small frame. They didn’t have the previous white version in that size so they upgraded me for free. Props to them.

Long story short, everybody is lifting my bike to weight it and they find it’s heavy because of the DT Swiss aluminum wheels that came with the original demo bike and they are wondering why this expensive frame is mounted on such heavy wheels. I am starting to pounder if I should upgrade to new carbon wheel and what lightweight wheelset would offer the best durability and performance.

My last wheelset were Reynolds Assault clincher and my wife burned the rims while descending a steel incline in the Pyrenees so I switched to disk brakes on my new bike to avoid damaging the wheels every time I brake.

A friend suggested the https://www.yoeleocanada.com/collect...er-wheels-road wheedled but they do not seem to have any disk brakes wheelset.

happy to hear your suggestions!

thank you
Old 06-24-22, 05:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
I am starting to pounder if I should upgrade to new carbon wheel and what lightweight wheelset would offer the best durability and performance.
Yes, you should. Budget?
Old 06-24-22, 10:01 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yes, you should. Budget?
no budget limit

just want the best wheel for the price
I like good value
Old 06-24-22, 10:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

no budget limit

just want the best wheel for the price
I like good value
Don't we all, but everyone has different criteria for what is "best" and what represents "good value." Not knowing yours, let's start the discussion here: Dual 5550 – Princeton CarbonWorks
Old 06-25-22, 06:26 AM
dr_max

Don't we all, but everyone has different criteria for what is "best" and what represents "good value." Not knowing yours, let's start the discussion here: Dual 5550 – Princeton CarbonWorks
well for reference here are my last wheel sets

Shimano 105 when I started 2007
bought Mavic Ksyrium ES 1200$ in 2009 at a bike shop and then have them to my wife after 5 years.
Bought Reynolds assault wheel set for 850$ on eBay in 2013 until my wife destroyed them descending a hill and burned the rims.

Had SRAM S60 aero wheelset on my triathlon bike, sold them for 600$ in 2015
Bought Zipp 404 wheelset for 800$ in 2014, used for 1 year.

I never bought the Lew carbon wheels since they were $10,000 and did not consider it was good value for saving 100g

Haven’t looked at bike parts for 7-8 years so the new wheelset offering rim brakes are unknown to me.
Old 06-25-22, 10:19 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

A friend suggested the https://www.yoeleocanada.com/collect...er-wheels-road wheedled but they do not seem to have any disk brakes wheelset.
Haven’t looked at bike parts for 7-8 years so the new wheelset offering rim brakes are unknown to me.
Are you looking for disc brake CF wheels or rim brake CF wheels? If the former, I have not joined the disc brake revolution yet, and so had referred you to something fairly cutting edge (as a starting point for discussion) as you said you did not have any budgetary limits.

If the latter, there are not so many choices nowadays. A few months ago I bought FFWD F4R FCC, the discontinued predecessor of its current model:

FFWD Wheels TYRO II 45mm Rim Brake Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

And in this thread I discussed why I chose those wheels over similarly priced Hunt wheels.

Wheelset recommendations - rim brakes - Bike Forums
Old 06-25-22, 08:24 PM
dr_max

Are you looking for disc brake CF wheels or rim brake CF wheels? If the former, I have not joined the disc brake revolution yet, and so had referred you to something fairly cutting edge (as a starting point for discussion) as you said you did not have any budgetary limits.

If the latter, there are not so many choices nowadays. A few months ago I bought FFWD F4R FCC, the discontinued predecessor of its current model:

FFWD Wheels TYRO II 45mm Rim Brake Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

And in this thread I discussed why I chose those wheels over similarly priced Hunt wheels.

Wheelset recommendations - rim brakes - Bike Forums
yes had to join the disc brakes revolution because my wife burned my Reynolds Assault carbon rims by braking too much descending the Rocacorba 5 years ago
Old 06-25-22, 10:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

yes had to join the disc brakes revolution because my wife burned my Reynolds Assault carbon rims by braking too much descending the Rocacorba 5 years ago
Yes, epoxy resin has advanced some since the Reynolds Assault, but it is still a little iffy to ride rim braked CF wheels down long, steep descents.

Since you are looking for disc wheels, I reiterate my original suggestion: Dual 5550 – Princeton CarbonWorks

Or these: 454 NSW Tubeless Disc-brake | WH-454-NTLD-B1 | Zipp (sram.com)

Both have the latest aero profiles; the former are hooked, while the latter are hookless.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: