Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

best most economical chain degreaser?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 01:01 PM
AKHIker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Wondering what everyone uses for routine chain cleaning in their chain scrubber.

Thanks
Old 02-19-17, 01:06 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
economically - probably a gallon of diesel fuel. Otherwise: Odorless mineral spirits, dawn + water, rand(citrus degreaser).
Old 02-19-17, 02:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Lots of people take the chain off using a quick link that is easily reconnected again. After swishing the chain around in a plastic liter bottle to degrease, with say, odoress paint thinner, The liquid can be filtered and reused a number of times.
Old 02-19-17, 02:33 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Dawn.....small bottle can be found at the Dollar tree for only......$1.
Old 02-19-17, 03:17 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Actually....if you buy kerosene in bulk (from a pump), it's probably cheaper than diesel fuel because there is no road tax.
Old 02-19-17, 05:03 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Actually....if you buy kerosene in bulk (from a pump), it's probably cheaper than diesel fuel because there is no road tax.
It also less smelly and a bit less "oily".
Likes For HillRider:
Old 02-19-17, 06:11 PM
1Coopgt

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40. I've been using it on my motorcycle chains for 30yrs works great . Ride to get the chain warm , clean with WD40 then spray on the chain lube . Gonna do the same thing with my bike.
Old 02-20-17, 01:18 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt
WD40. I've been using it on my motorcycle chains for 30yrs works great . Ride to get the chain warm , clean with WD40 then spray on the chain lube . Gonna do the same thing with my bike.
I got this same tip from a LBS mechanic. I've used it successfully a number of times. But I cleaned two very old chains this weekend with WD-40. Both had years of caked-on grunge (old bikes, very neglected). It was a lot of solvent and a lot of scrubbing. I kept thinking 'there must be a better way'.

It works pretty well with a better maintained chain. I usually hang it up to dry out at least a day before reassembly and lube.
Old 02-20-17, 08:51 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
I'd recommend against mineral spirits. Very effective as a degreaser but it will eat away the finish of a plated chain. I learned this the expensive way with a few chains.

I personally use White Lightning Clean Streak spray and do my degreasing on the bike for my regularly maintained chains. Not the most economical but very quick and easy.
Old 02-20-17, 09:18 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
I'd recommend against mineral spirits. Very effective as a degreaser but it will eat away the finish of a plated chain. I learned this the expensive way with a few chains.
Never heard of this happening. Possibly you were using the GREEN environmentally friendly type which is a completely different thing? I use Odorless Mineral Spirits to degrease most things including plastics and rubber and never had any plating or paint destroyed or metals harmed. It's a fairly safe degreaser for most surfaces. Also OMS can be re-used by storing in a jar and letting the gunk settle for a few days. Then just pour off the clean liquid and save for next time. Much better for the environment than pouring cleaners down the drain or into the garden and about the most economical cleaner you can get if you keep recycling it. WD-40 is a solvent and works great for degreasing and very light lubing but it ain't cheap.
Old 02-20-17, 09:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Never heard of this happening. Possibly you were using the GREEN environmentally friendly type which is a completely different thing? I use Odorless Mineral Spirits to degrease most things including plastics and rubber and never had any plating or paint destroyed or metals harmed. It's a fairly safe degreaser for most surfaces. Also OMS can be re-used by storing in a jar and letting the gunk settle for a few days. Then just pour off the clean liquid and save for next time. Much better for the environment than pouring cleaners down the drain or into the garden and about the most economical cleaner you can get if you keep recycling it. WD-40 is a solvent and works great for degreasing and very light lubing but it ain't cheap.

+1 Andy
Old 02-20-17, 09:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
economically - probably a gallon of diesel fuel. Otherwise: Odorless mineral spirits, dawn + water, rand(citrus degreaser).
Odorless mineral spirits. Skip the diesel (doesn't evaporate as well or as quickly) and skip the Dawn/water/citrus degreaser. Ineffective and expensive with unnecessary rinse steps.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-20-17, 09:42 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
This is the second time someone has mentioned buying kerosene from a gas station this week. Where are you guys living that you find kerosene on tap, so to speak? I've been in gas stations all over the US and haven't seen anyone selling kerosene and I certainly haven't seen "pumps" for it.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-20-17, 09:44 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Odorless mineral spirits. Skip the diesel (doesn't evaporate as well or as quickly) and skip the Dawn/water/citrus degreaser. Ineffective and expensive with unnecessary rinse steps.
+1 For some reason many people think that Detergent, Simple Green, etc. are "planet friendly" because they don't contain those terrible petrochemicals. Problem is that, instead of reusing mineral spirits and taking them in to a service station for proper recycling when no longer usable, you flush all the junk from your chain down the drain, along with copious amounts of water.
Likes For cny-bikeman:
Old 02-20-17, 09:58 AM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy All;

Back when I was in the Navy, we used to use Freon to clean up spills, drips & leaks
in the hydraulic shop and inside the aircraft. Then it got outlawed ... what to use that
would disperse the oils and greases yet evaporate quickly and not be harmful to the
parts being cleaned ... . Well we found that good old rubbing alcohol found at your
local store of your choice, would do the same thing as the Freon. It's what I use for cleaning
up oiley messes when doing my maintenance on my truck or bike it cleans up gear oil,
engine oil and does well with greases with the help from a brush.

hank
Likes For hankaye:
Old 02-20-17, 10:00 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by plonz

I personally use White Lightning Clean Streak spray and do my degreasing on the bike for my regularly maintained chains. Not the most economical but very quick and easy.
There is nothing in mineral spirits that can touch the finish on a plated chain. Mineral spirits is a relatively mild solvent which works very well on the oils and greases we use on bicycles. It's related to kerosene and diesel...all come from petroleum...but evaporates easier and cleaner.

The "green" "mineral spirits" is really a water based emulsion that may (or may not) contain the mineral spirits cut of petroleum. It's not really good stuff to use on chains, especially if you are going to soak the chain long term. About 5 years ago, joejack951 posted a problem with chains cracking during storage in green mineral spirits. I was able to show that the cracking was due to salt in the water part of the odorless mineral spirits.

I agree about the WD-40. It is expensive but the larger issue is that the "solvent" contains about 25% mineral oil so it will always leave a residue. If you feel the need for a spray can of degreaser, Finishline Speed Degreaser is a far better choice than WD-40 since it is just mineral spirits in a can. But it is rather expensive compared to a can of mineral spirit from a hardware store.

Old 02-20-17, 10:15 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
^^ I like the Finish Line Degreaser, but it's expensive. For the most economical I would say gasoline, but we don't do that anymore. Next for economical I like kerosene, it cleans well and leaves slightly oily finish.
I am not a fan of water-based cleaners for bikes.
Old 02-20-17, 10:44 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
This is the second time someone has mentioned buying kerosene from a gas station this week. Where are you guys living that you find kerosene on tap, so to speak? I've been in gas stations all over the US and haven't seen anyone selling kerosene and I certainly haven't seen "pumps" for it.
Gas stations in poor and rural areas are likely to sell kerosene. People with space heaters use it for home heating.
Old 02-20-17, 12:16 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I am a simple green and water in an ultrasonic cleaner fan. I had chains that lasted 16k and 19k miles using this method.
Old 02-20-17, 01:53 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Kerosene and a chain cleaner like the park tool. I put the bike in the stand, put down some newspaper, pour some kerosene in the tool from my jar, follow directions, wipe chain with a rag, pour the kerosene from the tool back into the jar. The next time that I need to use the degreaser, all the gunk has settled and the kerosene is clear and ready to pour. Use and reuse. After a few years, too much gunk is at the bottom of the jar and i pour it into a new jar. Toss the old one. I suppose I should take the old jar to the toxic waste place. A gallon of kerosene lasts a very long time.
Old 02-20-17, 02:15 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Simple Green environmental friendly, cheap and does a good job.
Old 02-20-17, 02:28 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Mineral spirits. I've been using this for decades, and my dad for decades before that. I once left some chains and other bike parts marinating in Varsol for 6 months and upon decanting, they showed no deterioration whatsoever; they were just clean.

Anything water based, including anything 'Green' is hopeless as a solvent. Take that from a chemist.

Wd40 is a poor solvent and worse as a lubricant.
Old 02-20-17, 03:26 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Heads up to all you mineral spirits users. We can't get it here in Los Angeles. It's only a matter of time so I suggest you stock up.
Old 02-20-17, 03:29 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Never heard of this happening. Possibly you were using the GREEN environmentally friendly type which is a completely different thing?
There is nothing in mineral spirits that can touch the finish on a plated chain.
I use Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits. I've used OMS for a lot of applications and did have the personal experience of ruining 2 Dura Ace chains after repeated soakings. Plating came off and the metal had a gritty roughness to it like it started to corrode.

I would sometimes soak the chain overnight. The container I used was an unused paint can you buy from the hardware store. It had a coating inside that was also eaten by the mineral spirits. Maybe there was some sort of weird chemical reaction going on.

Good to hear OMS is working fine for you guys. I'll continue to steer clear.

Here is the stuff I use. "Odorless" is a bit of a misnomer as it has a distinct chemical smell to it.
Old 02-20-17, 03:52 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My experience......

Diesel is the cheapest. A couple bucks a gallon and it works well. Anyone that will tell you that it is dangerous to use in this application likely knows little about the stuff and/or has never degreased with it.

Take the chain off and soak in the diesel. While it is soaking, clean the chainring and cog with diesel and a rag. Thats what I do......works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.