Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Cycling After Hip Replacement?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone Cycling After Hip Replacement?

Old 02-10-20, 05:22 PM
brumby33

Bikes: Vivente World Randoneur (Australian Made)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chad991
Excellent thread, I'm recovering from hip surgery myself right now. I tore the labrum and they had the fix that and take out 3 large bone chunks and shave a little bone of the socket..I've been cleared to ride the bike for 5 minutes A-day, stationary bike... What's killing me is I have a brand new Lynskey Helix Proro being delivered next week you talk about motivation! This is a great threat for motivation!
Had to look up that bike you referring to Chad...I've never seen one in Australia.....yeah, very nice bike indeed....you'll be absolutely hangin to get on it but I s'pose in the meantime.....you can give it a super polish and drool

cheers

brumby33
Old 02-10-20, 06:45 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by brumby33
Had to look up that bike you referring to Chad...I've never seen one in Australia.....yeah, very nice bike indeed....you'll be absolutely hangin to get on it but I s'pose in the meantime.....you can give it a super polish and drool

cheers

brumby33
Ya, the wait is killing me!
Old 02-11-20, 08:48 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by brumby33
Sorry to hear that Witherings.....hope you get back on top of it real soon. Yes I've been conscious of overdoing it. Where do you feel the weakness and what did you do that might have bought that on.....when you say pushed the boat out a bit, are you talking about an actual boat or was that a figure of speech? I think you had your surgery a couple of weeks before me, so how did your recovery go? Did they get you up the very same day? they did with me.

Cheers

brumby33
It was probably about 6 years ago I had the 1st one done, the initial recovery was incredibly quick with very little pain / discomfort and was off pain medication within days.

I was having physio and they gave me one exercise on a step where you stood the leg with the other off the ground bent behind lowering yourself on the recovering leg and then standing up straight again ... in essence building up the quads.

I came home from a physio session and because I was feeling so good about the recovery I think I over did it with that exercise ... I don't know how to describe what's actually wrong with it but I get some quite sharp pain down the front at the very top of my quads area, I stopped that exercise and let it recover for a while but ever since it's been an area of weakness, if I try nad run at all it'll blow it up and takes a week or so to recover, even long wlaks can do it sometimes so I just have to be careful with it.
Old 02-11-20, 03:21 PM
brumby33

Bikes: Vivente World Randoneur (Australian Made)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Witterings
It was probably about 6 years ago I had the 1st one done, the initial recovery was incredibly quick with very little pain / discomfort and was off pain medication within days.

I was having physio and they gave me one exercise on a step where you stood the leg with the other off the ground bent behind lowering yourself on the recovering leg and then standing up straight again ... in essence building up the quads.

I came home from a physio session and because I was feeling so good about the recovery I think I over did it with that exercise ... I don't know how to describe what's actually wrong with it but I get some quite sharp pain down the front at the very top of my quads area, I stopped that exercise and let it recover for a while but ever since it's been an area of weakness, if I try nad run at all it'll blow it up and takes a week or so to recover, even long wlaks can do it sometimes so I just have to be careful with it.
Yeah theres a similar exercise I do at rehab where I stand on a step up with my operated leg and lower it down just touch the heel of my good leg on the ground...it's probably the hardest of all my exercises and I can feel the pull in my groin, i'm very conscious of this because it was this groin pain that alerted me in the first place something was wrong with my hip.....so I don't want to end up back in hospital. I only do 5 of these in a session.....ordinary step ups are ok.
One thing I need to work on big time and my wife is constantly badgering me about it is my walking style, she says i'm not bending my knees enough and i'm shuffling the ground too much....so i'm about to go back to rehab in 40 mins from now and i'll ask them to help me work on it. I really want to do more walking. I'm using the Map My Walk app on my cellphone and it gives me most of the useful info on the walks that I do. I'm quite out of shape at the moment so every mile feels like 5

brumby33
Old 08-04-20, 07:27 AM
MattDMV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Another THR Cycling Experience

This is the best string I have found, so wanted to contribute my experience.

Had mine done eight weeks ago (June 8). Anterior. I'm 58 and have needed this for years as I was struggling just to get the leg over the top bar on the bike. The recovery is fast for people in good shape, but the first couple of weeks were challenging. I was pretty mobile. No crutches, only a cane after like day two or three. But sleep sucked and that wears one down. Finally got back in the sleep groove around day ten or so. Also went back to work after a week and sitting for a long period of time and writing on deadline was literally a giant pain. Stupid stupid move on my part. Take at least two weeks. And build back in gradually.

Started on the spin bike at two weeks no resistance, 15 minutes. Was riding my road bike at four weeks, VERY slowly and with a pair of POC hip padded shorts--though with surgeon permission and mainly on the flats. And seat raised per PT guidance to keep that knee down. Typical of our types, I put in too many miles and needed to back off. Just mainly lot of dull ache, no damage.

Now at eight weeks out and I rode a modest 30 miles Sunday on rolling terrain. Felt good, but definitely at the limit of my range and was really ready to stop at about 25 miles. Now focused on muscle strengthening exercises as the hip flexors and gluteus medias are just significantly weak from my years of arthritis and torn labrum. (I was basically sans cartilage by surgery time with bone spurs in the ball and labrum shredded) Boring work but crucial to keep up all the PT.

All in all I would say it's a great surgery. But don't minimize the first few weeks of recovery. I probably was too stingy with pain killers the first few days, though used edibles (legal where I live) after about day three and that was sufficient supplement with the NSAIDs to knock down the pain. I get pukey on the opioids. And I think the recovery process is just that--a process still very much underway. Still get achey after sitting too long, riding too long, walking too long. Self-massage post rides are a must. BUT: I am biking regularly again after eight weeks and that's pretty great. Just don't want to imply that it's easy breezy. It's major surgery so brace yourself for that. Cheers to all!
Likes For MattDMV:
Old 08-05-20, 01:56 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
If you can handle the gymnastics needed to get in and out, recumbent trikes are a good move, post op.
No falling over, stable pedaling base. Easy to pause. non straddle seat. Mounting may be easier when you can't swing a leg over.
Old 01-18-21, 08:21 AM
ericga

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi All:

Had my right hip replaced for the second time in August. The original implant was incorrectly done. Second time was definitely rougher than the original. Strength has taken longer to recover this time around. Have been riding on the trainer since September. Finally back on the bike with longer rides in December.

One change that helped tremendously was a professional bike fit. I typically do all my own repairs, fits, etc. For motivation during recovery, I bought a NOS Jamis Icon Elite frame set and slowly transferred components from a different frame. Once it was together and fit with my usual geometry, I took it to Reality Bikes and had Scott check my fit. He changed a few things and really gave me more peace of mind than anything else. As an aside, love the Icon Elite frame. Light, responsive and fun to ride.
Old 02-01-21, 02:44 AM
Brock92

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:
Crashed for the first time in my life in June 2020,it was actually my birthday the day it happened. Was going for a 100km cycle. Came across an oil spill on a bend while going downhill.
Came down hard on my hip that was operated on. Ended up with a fractured femur. Hip was also redone as it had come loose. Got metal plate and screws for my troubles. Will start back cycling again in next few weeks. Hope that was my first and last fall. :-)
Old 02-06-21, 12:18 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 79 Posts
I know this is off subject. But anybody have experience recovering from a broken foot? Broke a bone in my foot and had a screw surgically installed.
Based on others experience, wonder when I can get back on the road. Thanks
Old 09-04-21, 08:52 PM
MadRoadie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anterior vs Posterior

Anyone have any issues with scar tissue impingement / pain when riding in drops following anterior hip replacement? I've been told this can be an issue for cyclists & have been advised to have posterior replacement.
Old 09-04-21, 10:10 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by MadRoadie
Anyone have any issues with scar tissue impingement / pain when riding in drops following anterior hip replacement? I've been told this can be an issue for cyclists & have been advised to have posterior replacement.
I have not heard of any scar tissue issues with the anterior approach. Whereas the "old fashioned" rear approach means you are sitting on scar tissue. Recovery from anterior is much quicker - ask me how I know. Well, unfortunately, my right hip has had the anterior approach done twice. While surgeon was not thrilled, I cross-country skied after three months. A short bike ride after 4 months. I did over 1,000 miles the next 12 months after surgery and did a few 50's, more 40's and even more 30's.

I also hiked over 600 miles with over 100,000 feet of elevation gain and loss. Within that first six months, I was hiking in the Dolomites, 6-8 miles a day with 2,000 to 3,000 feet of gain.

My replacement was not due to trauma - just worn cartilage with bone spurs and a cyst. For whatever reason, after eight years, the shaft came loose in the thigh bone and I had to have what they call a revision - which entailed doing the entire thing again - some revision!!!

After the second replacement my hiking was again about 600 miles but only 60,000 feet of gain but I was now 8 years older. I had also promised the surgeon to take it really easy for 3-4 months to make sure things meshed. But I was back cross-country skiing and biking. I've dragged the number two replacement on three hiking trips to the Dolomites, two cross-country ski trips there as well as cross-country skiing in Norway. And these were not flat skiing trips.

I really suggest you get a second opinion about anterior versus the other method(s). Or do more online research. In 2008 when I first had the replacement anterior was still newish but really recommended for active people. I was told I could drive as soon as I was off narcotics and I was off of them in three days. Not that I drove - the idea of stomping on a brake in an emergency did not play well in my head.

And most of all GOOD LUCK and a speedy recovery.

edited to add: Oh, I recall that there are really no "precautions" with the anterior approach as opposed to the other method. I've done squats and crossed my legs. There's less chance of a dislocation, too.

Last edited by kahn; 09-04-21 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-04-21, 10:15 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Think you might have that backwards.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-05-21, 10:05 AM
Bagel Bob

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had anterior hip replacement in 2011 and have never had even a hint of pain from scar tissue impingement. I feel like the person who told you that may have been the victim of a poor "closing" procedure during the operation, or a tear occurred during the healing process which caused excessive scar tissue. My scars are only visible as slight discolorations in the skin, with no texture or protrusion. I had both hips done at the same time and my results have been better than I could have hoped for. Zero pain and zero lingering effects of any kind after ten years.

Last edited by Bagel Bob; 09-05-21 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For Bagel Bob:
Old 09-05-21, 07:14 PM
ericga

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Take your time....interview multiple surgeons

I've had a posterior and an anterior approach replacement. Recovery was much quicker after the anterior approach by a few weeks.

Take your time and interview multiple surgeons. I interviewed 5 before choosing one. Set your requirements and then find a surgeon that meets them. The surgeon that performed my anterior replacement took the time to explain every step and decision. A good surgeon will tailor the procedure to meet the patient's needs and outcomes.
Likes For ericga:
Old 09-09-21, 02:30 PM
WillCo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
My left hip was replaced Nov. 27th, 2018. I felt ready to ride in 2 weeks. Truth. I spoke with the surgeon 24 hours after surgery and he described to me that any pain should feel like a bad bruise. He was spot on. Got rid of the walker on day 2. Got rid of the crutches day 6. Got rid of the cane day 9. I was mobile in short time. I could have rode the bike at 2 weeks but the surgeon said at 6 weeks I could do it. First bike ride was one month after surgery. I rode all winter with no issues and the hip feels great today. Right knee gets done Sept 23rd. I delayed that 6 months. I fear it. Hip is the least complicated joint in the body. The knee is the most complicated joint in the body. Oh God..... Its gonna hurt. Robot assisted. Oh boy...
Hi - Are you able to tell me the name of your surgeon? Thanks
Old 11-02-21, 08:56 PM
lylectoc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Witterings
Anyone else cycling after a hip replacement ... I've had both of mine done the last coming up to 2 years ago and the 1st coming up to 5 years ago.

I've been cycling a lot for the last 1 1/2 years totally problem free but recently my length of ride has increased and have also started doing some hills and the 1st one I had done has started playing up which is mainly noticeable when I'm walking rather than cycling though.

I used to be a complete sports nut with squash / water skiing as my main sports but am limited with what's advisable to do post replacements and took up cycling as I thought it was something good to do that wasn't quite so demanding on the joints.

Interested to hear of others experiences and if you're totally pain free or if anything changed after a period of time .... .
I did a 102 mi ride 36 days after left hip replacement. Wasn't very sore after..and I was 65 then. Still riding strong after 3.5 months
Likes For lylectoc:
Old 11-03-21, 11:12 AM
WillCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m having my right hip replaced in 10 days time. Any tips on rehab, given your very successful experience?
Old 11-04-21, 01:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Scar tissue impingement will happen if one does not regularly do stretching exercises to maintain the range of motion. Plenty of videos showing what should be done and these are floor exercises.

I have not met a single surgeon who had a clue about rehab post surgery. The physical therapists are also marginal overall. Only exceptions I have encountered was a fellow who used to work for the SF Giants baseball team and a chiropractor who practices Active Pressure Release.

The 5 minute limit may have been the result of their evaluation of your physical fitness and your weight. I would try to avoid NSAIDs and work through any pain. Easier to over do it when on pain meds.
Old 11-08-21, 02:22 AM
xtrxtr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo
I’m having my right hip replaced in 10 days time. Any tips on rehab, given your very successful experience?
Hi

i had a replacement of my right hip 2 1/2 years ago. My rehab went really well, I tried to be as fit as possible before and was on a static bike after a week and a half. I then tried to do increasing amounts of time to build up stamina.

good luck
Old 11-10-21, 07:50 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I cycle with a friend's wife that had a hip replacement. Her hip got so bad she couldn't even swing her leg over the top tube.
Now, post hip replacement, she's cycling and even running (and winning) half marathons.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-10-21, 08:18 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo
..... anterior ?
Old 12-07-21, 02:45 PM
drdtjohnson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn’t just want to read and ride without adding my own story as found thread s helpful.

60y male fit and active until 18 months ago. 18 months left groin pain gradually getting worse X-ray and u/s . Severe OA both hips, no joint space, a labrum tear and mod tendinopathy at insertion of adductor tendon. Not really able to walk normally and getting on bike tricky but was swimming and cycling up to 40 miles / day up until op.

Now 2 1/2 weeks post op. Op 2,30-4.00 and had a spinal. Don’t remember anything after IV medication. Ward by 5pm so too late foray physio or or evening meal but got tea and toast later. Following morning fainted when turning on zimmer - maybe side effect of medication. Anyway delayed my physio and not discharge until following evening.

Got home and immediately stopped most analgesia - nefopam, NSAIDs and opiates but continued regular paracetamol and oral anticoagulant. We’re 50 steps up from pavement so fair bit of exercise just getting in and out of flat. One week of using crutches indoors and outdoors.. From day one getting out 2-3 times a day walking 1/2 to 1 mile with rest halfway. Moved to cane indoors after a week and pretty much one crutch outdoors but still carrying second in case I get tired or if it’s slippy. Sleeping on back nuisance and waking every 2 hours. Get up walk around bed again and fall asleep fairly quickly. Constipation settled after a week. Don’t like raised toilet seat but it’s only another month.

After just=under 2 weeks tried stationary bike at a gym around the corner. Followed advice on setup after THR on livestrong (so almost feel I got some reward from buying Lances book all those years ago!) Day one 5 mins and day two 10 mins. Thought it would be ok on basis of multiple posts many here. First physio appt 2 weeks post op and after 2 days on bike. Was suggested if possible I go twice a day to gym for 15 mins once for distance and 15 mins once for effort. So today 4km in 15 mins and later on 1km in 6 mins but effort level 15 -20. I’m only pedalling on the operated leg..I asked if they could take a pedal off but not possible.So will do 15 mins x 2 for another 5 days then see physio again. Not sure when I’ll get on road bike yet but not this week.

Got additional exercises from physio which I imagine are standard. I:suspect next week we’ll be with Thera bands and the usual gym machines for leg muscle strengthening. Will be in pool soon but want to be 100% sure that wound has healed ….. looks fine but don’t want to take chance with that.

Thanks to all previous posters, Dave
Likes For drdtjohnson:
Old 12-07-21, 04:22 PM
WillCo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Dave,
I had my op on 15th Novembe 9so just over 3 weeks ago). Maybe the same day as you?
I’m not sure if it’s possible to exchange contact details on this forum, but if it is, do fancy getting in touch directly? Compare notes as we rehab?
will
Old 12-07-21, 04:38 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
My wife had a hip replacement done several years ago. The only time it bothers her is when she has gone a few days without riding or doing stretching exercises on the floor. The surgery resulted in her being more inclined to nerve impingement and she was advised on the best stretching exercises by a chiropractor who practiced pressure release therapy. The surgeons we have dealt with are clueless when it comes to post operative PT.
Old 06-23-22, 12:40 PM
drdtjohnson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wee update after my initial post 6 months ago.

I gradually increased my times on the upright exercise bike at gym and then started hill walking again. I could manage up to 4 -5 hours maximum before my other hip started complaining and I developed a limp. It was clear I needed right one done too. Good Friday 15/4 had my op (after left done in Nov last year). Much the same as first one.

Less worried post op. In gym on upright bike after 10 days doing 10 mins twice daily. After 14 days, 15 mins x2 then increased by 5 mins a week. Effort level 1 (for two weeks) then increasing to 5 in morning and started at effort level 10 in afternoon and it’s stayed there. Currently at 40 mins twice a day four times a week. Av Power about 160w or 200w if higher effort level. Cycling outside too.

My main activity is hillwalking. Climbed an easy Munro 3000ft/914m the day before second op and after 2 months started getting up hills again…. well a few weeks ago. In the last 8 days I’ve been up 4 hills so becoming hill fit for first time in 2 years. Yesterday 1100m ascent and 22km in just over 5 hours. Very tired but second op definitely seems right call.

Physio helps and I should be doing more. Lunges, clams, crunches, walking heel-toe in straight line, various yoga things like dog-bird, fire hydrant, bridge pose, etc.

But great to be active again. And I’m a much stronger cyclist so can get to remote hills on bike more comfortably.

Good luck to everyone.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.