Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wear on Campa Shamal Ultra wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 07:23 AM
Mrmcfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a Dogma from 2012 fitted with the Campa Shamal Ultra 2-way fit wheels. I estimate I have done about 16-17k kms on them for the past 10 years. What kind of lifetime should I expect from these wheels? Is there a wear indicator on them that I overlook?

I had originally planned to use them for 1-2 years more before replacing the bike with a brand new Dogma with new wheels, group set, but I would like some input on if I am pushing their lifetime to the max? I live in Switzerland and a significant part of the kilometers is up and down the beautiful mountain passes we have here, which I assume will wear out rims quicker due to the extensive breaking on descents.

I see no obvious concave curvature on the sides from breaking - if I hold a credit card onto the sides of the rims there might be slight bit of light coming through a 0.5mm gap or so in the middle, but nothing more than that.

I hate to spend about EUR 900 for a new wheel set, only to buy a new Dogma in two years time where everything will be new with disc brakes etc.. On the other side, it is stupid to save the money and then see the rim crack on a descent :-(

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your input!

/Lars