Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 02:45 PM
ecl4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SWIFT folder wheelbase

On of the reasons that I bought a swift was the wheelbase. It has the wheelbase of a full size bike which provides adde stability. The fact that it does not fold in half via a hinge in the center was another reason. This has been stated previously as enhancing stability.

Don't ride it frequently but it is stable on roads and trails.

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I test rode the Swift folder in New York City. It's a nice bike and rode well. The frame is stiffer than my Dahon Speed 8 and it can make for a rougher ride. On the plus side, since the frame doesn't split in two like Dahon, it doesn't feel a flexy. It's actually better for the heavier rider. I think a suspension seat post or a Brooks saddle would be in order. I told Peter Reich that he should buy some of Dahon's technology in making the package fold smaller. It's not an attractive fold and the fast fold is just not good enough and could be made better.

Peter's a nice guy and if I had an additional $800.00 under the couch, I would buy his bike. However, at that price, I think the Dahon Speed Pro gives you more value. I think the lowest end Bike Friday would match Peter's bike and would probably look nicer. (Sorry Peter)
Old 04-04-22, 02:46 PM
ecl4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On of the reasons that I bought a swift was the wheelbase. It has the wheelbase of a full size bike which provides adde stability. The fact that it does not fold in half via a hinge in the center was another reason. This has been stated previously as enhancing stability.

Likes For ecl4:
Old 04-04-22, 03:01 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ecl4

As discussed in the Origami Swift thread, the Swift has a shorter wheelbase than other well known folding bikes like the Brompton, Birdy and Bike Friday.
Old 04-04-22, 04:47 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
As discussed in the Origami Swift thread, the Swift has a shorter wheelbase than other well known folding bikes like the Brompton, Birdy and Bike Friday.

My Swift has the same wheelbase as my road bike.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 04-05-22, 03:07 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
This is what was posted in the Origami Swift Thread.

40.5" is very short for a road bike. And the Wheelbase of both the Brompton and Birdy is bigger.

Originally Posted by seat_boy
This is an older picture of my Swift's setup, but you can see the wheelbase difference between the two, it's all in the front center:

- Swift wheelbase: 40.5"
- Bike Friday wheelbase: 42.5" (for my 60cm frame)

Old 04-05-22, 07:24 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

40.5" is very short for a road bike. And the Wheelbase of both the Brompton and Birdy is bigger.

Meh. So what? The Bike Friday has a slightly even loooonger wheelbase. My Swift still has the same wheelbase as my road bike, which is already quite long enough. I don't feel that my Swift would benefit from being any longer than it already is.
Old 04-05-22, 07:24 AM
joey buzzard

Meh. So what? The Bike Friday has a slightly even loooonger wheelbase. My Swift still has the same wheelbase measured axel to axel as my road bike, which is already quite long enough. I don't feel that my Swift would benefit from being any longer than it already is.

And btw, 40.5" (985mm) is about bang on average for a road racing bike wheelbase, not "very short" as you say.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 04-05-22 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-05-22, 08:27 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
My Soma Saga touring bike is 40.5 in. Besides, shorter wheel bases have advanteges too.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 04-05-22, 10:15 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
The pictures above are my bikes. I do find the BF rides noticeably better than the Swift. The short front center of the Swift always gives me the slight feeling that I'm about to go over the bars. It's a bit nervous in comparison to the BF.
Old 04-11-22, 04:37 AM
michael432000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Meh. So what? The Bike Friday has a slightly even loooonger wheelbase. My Swift still has the same wheelbase measured axel to axel as my road bike, which is already quite long enough. I don't feel that my Swift would benefit from being any longer than it already is.

And btw, 40.5" (985mm) is about bang on average for a road racing bike wheelbase, not "very short" as you say.
My 53cm Colnago road bike has a wheelbase of around 1000mm (approx 39 and 3/8 inches) which is also why I was attracted to the Swift as geometry can be set up very similar to a road bike.
Old 04-11-22, 06:22 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Btw, has anyone tried crazy bars on their Xootr Swift?

I'm thinking of putting some on mine.
Old 04-17-22, 03:58 PM
PebbledChin

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scrambeagle
I’ve emailed Xootr to ask about replacement hangers
Did you receive a reply scrambeagle about spare hangers from Xootr ? If they have them, how much were they? My hanger received the vice, hammer, and file treatment, in that order, to make it flat again, and I'm not proud of it.
Old 04-18-22, 06:55 PM
extecher

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a good rear rack for Swift Folders?

Mine has one on the front but I'd also like one on the back. It offers an odd engineering conundrum since traditional rack setups won't work if you want the bike to fold, and the odd size of the seatpost means you average seatpost rack won't fit (Though I have a carbon fiber one so I don't want to put a rack on it to begin with). In looking at other rack options I found the Thule Pack and Pedal rack which ratchets onto the forks on the rear of the frame, bypassing both of the issues I'm seeing. Anyone with experience with that particular rack on a Swift or another option?
Old 04-24-22, 08:52 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rear Rack…

https://vincita.cc/products/c029-v-r...atpost-carrier

that’s a copy of the rear seatpost mounted rack that Zootr used to sell before discontinuing the Swift… Not a lot of help since you have a carbon seatpost.

I was considering a Tern Rapid Transit Rack for my Swift at one time and did a mock up by matching the tire sizes on two photos… here’s what that looks like with the bike folded. I imagine any rack made for a 20 inch folding bike would work similarly well but also prevent the seatpost from going all the way down when folded…

Originally Posted by extecher
Is there a good rear rack for Swift Folders?

Mine has one on the front but I'd also like one on the back. It offers an odd engineering conundrum since traditional rack setups won't work if you want the bike to fold, and the odd size of the seatpost means you average seatpost rack won't fit (Though I have a carbon fiber one so I don't want to put a rack on it to begin with). In looking at other rack options I found the Thule Pack and Pedal rack which ratchets onto the forks on the rear of the frame, bypassing both of the issues I'm seeing. Anyone with experience with that particular rack on a Swift or another option?

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 04-24-22 at 08:59 PM.
Likes For iamdougsbike:
Old 04-24-22, 11:53 PM
scrambeagle

Bikes: Miyata Valley Runner, Miyata Terra Runner, Raleigh Twenty, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PebbledChin
Did you receive a reply scrambeagle about spare hangers from Xootr ? If they have them, how much were they? My hanger received the vice, hammer, and file treatment, in that order, to make it flat again, and I'm not proud of it.
Sorry for the slow reply. I was able to buy a replacement hanger from Xootr but I had to contact them directly to do it. It was around 15+10 shipping which is a bit excessive IMO, but I really appreciate the customer service. They said that the hanger needed a single countersink but that seems easy enough to DIY. Must have been some incomplete dead stock or something? I haven’t taken my original hanger off to compare them, as my bike is working decently right now.
Old 04-25-22, 08:36 PM
extecher

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
that’s a copy of the rear seatpost mounted rack that Zootr used to sell before discontinuing the Swift… Not a lot of help since you have a carbon seatpost.
That's interesting though the seatpost is the wrinkle. I got a Thule rack in the post today and while it fits 99% of adult bikes... the Swift is unfortunately in the 1%. The brakes are in the exact spot where the clips would fit on the frame, and moving it anywhere else does not allow the rack to sit on the frame. Super neat design though. If I had a bike to use it on I'd keep it.

I was considering a Tern Rapid Transit Rack for my Swift at one time and did a mock up by matching the tire sizes on two photos… here’s what that looks like with the bike folded. I imagine any rack made for a 20 inch folding bike would work similarly well but also prevent the seatpost from going all the way down when folded…
That's quite interesting. I'm guessing some drilling would be necessary to attach it to the back frame because looking closer you might not be able to attach it to the brake assembly. I use mine folded to fit in the back of the wagon so putting the seatpost in the folded position isn't a high priority for me. I've been kitting out a road bike, so my wife might not approve.
Old 04-26-22, 08:50 AM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The part that is near the rear brake in the mock up is an adjustable piece, it's only in that spot on the mashup because the bike used to get the rack and tire sizing correct was a Tern that had mounting points specifically for this rack.

Normally when mounting racks to a bike not specifically designed for the rack you are mounting you'll need to adjust those parts to work on the frame, the struts can be bent and adjusted to work.
Sometimes you need to attach them to p-clips or a special seatpost collar if no mounting points are available on a given bike.

On the Swift I had planned on using p-clips to add mounting points at or near that location.

Originally Posted by extecher
That's quite interesting. I'm guessing some drilling would be necessary to attach it to the back frame because looking closer you might not be able to attach it to the brake assembly. I use mine folded to fit in the back of the wagon so putting the seatpost in the folded position isn't a high priority for me. I've been kitting out a road bike, so my wife might not approve.

Last edited by iamdougsbike; 04-26-22 at 08:53 AM.
Likes For iamdougsbike:
Old 04-26-22, 10:54 AM
iamdougsbike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New Silver Xootr Swift Frameset $450

I’m selling a brand new, never built Silver Xootr Swift Frameset. I received the Frameset as a warranty replacement and never got around to building it up. it has been hanging in my garage for the last three years or so.

Asking $450, buyer pays actual shipping cost from Philadelphia PA. Local Pickup in the Greater Philadelphia area can be arranged.

What’s included (Everything is new, never used):
  • Silver Xoort Swift Frame w/ 3 Factory Quick Releases
  • Xootr Comfort Saddle (never used, removed from single speed bike when bought)
  • Coveted Xootr Swift Derailleur Hanger
  • Xootr Swift Standard Length Seatpost (19” / 515mm)
  • Xootr Swift Standard Length Riser (10” / 250mm)
  • Xootr Standard Size Stem (60mm, 35degree)
  • Will include the riser handlebar in photo if wanted
Additional details can be found at the WaybackMachine from before they discontinued the bike.

Old 05-22-22, 03:51 AM
michael432000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Interesting. Do you have a link?
Some better pictures:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125324992...0AAOSw3dZih6fl
Old 06-06-23, 01:05 PM
daviddillard

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Green Swift FolderMy recently completed Swift Folder project! This is a converted Xootr Swift, powdercoated here in Louisville with a new old stock decal set from Peter Reich. Weighs about 21-22 pounds, even with the generator hub/light combo.

Dura ace rear hub / rear derailleur
SON edelux front dynamo hub
B&M Lumotec IQ Fly Senso Plus Light
XTR ti rear cassette 11-30
Velo Orange 110 BCD Crank/chainring 44
Tioga X Spec Sigma tires / Velocity Rims
Modified Volae Recumbent Stem Riser
LitePro 33.9 seatpost
LitePro brakes and levers

Other goodies I can't remember.
Rides great, took it on vacation in Costa Rica last winter (in a suitcase) rode the Pacific side beaches with it.
Super riding bike.

David Dillard
Louisville
Likes For daviddillard:
Old 06-11-23, 11:30 PM
michael432000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daviddillard

Green Swift FolderMy recently completed Swift Folder project! This is a converted Xootr Swift, powdercoated here in Louisville with a new old stock decal set from Peter Reich. Weighs about 21-22 pounds, even with the generator hub/light combo.

LitePro 33.9 seatpost

Rides great, took it on vacation in Costa Rica last winter (in a suitcase) rode the Pacific side beaches with it.
Super riding bike.

David Dillard
Louisville

What size (dimensions) suitcase?
Old 06-12-23, 07:02 AM
daviddillard

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
That was a suitcase I got with a Bike Friday, Samsonite F'Lite is the name, I think. I can check when I get back home. I took the whole bike apart, including the fork (I installed a headset with cartridge bearings to make this a bit easier). Probably more work than a Bike Friday, but not all that bad. Alex Wetmore has a good writeup about BF / SF alex wetmore's bicycle pages (phred.org)
Old 07-15-23, 07:24 PM
honda99ex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old thread but can laffin_boy elaborate on where you got the custom stem post and fork? Jur had a recumbent one that they don't seem to have any more. I love the look but cannot source one.

I need some rise for my Xootr. I have the standard riser stem medium with a riser bar but it is not enough. I will try a generic stem extender from Amazon but hoping for a more elegant solution.

Can anyone else chime in
What are the specs of the stem post - inner diameter 1 1/8" threadless on the frame side? How far up does it have to be before tapering? Outer diameter 1 1/8" on the handle bar side?
Does anyone know if I can stick a star nut in the top and it will still be structurally safe? If so I can maybe use a velo orange cigne stem but it requires the star nut...
Any other makers of folders - Dahon etc that use a stem post that is similiar so I can try to buy one of those as a substitute?
Any custom makers of stem posts?

Help!!!
Just can't get comfortable

Last edited by honda99ex; 07-17-23 at 08:40 AM. Reason: More questions
Old 09-19-23, 07:26 AM
foldup

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daviddillard

LitePro 33.9 seatpost

Super riding bike.

David Dillard
Louisville
looks really nice, your work makes me think of Raleigh Twenty updates/grades