Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paramount info...simply add..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paramount info...simply add..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 05:15 PM
MarylandDeRosa
Likes Steel and Lugs

Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, Buzz Bike Eliminator,1987 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cudak888
It came out very nice, Mark! Almost a shame not to have white bar tape on that combo though, wouldn't you say? That deep drop Campione Del Mondo bar really deserves a tape color that shows it off.

-Kurt
I agree Kurt, not done yet. lol I need to come up with better combination. Open to suggestions, are white hoods and white tape too much?
Old 06-16-10, 05:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by MarylandDeRosa
I agree Kurt, not done yet. lol I need to come up with better combination. Open to suggestions, are white hoods and white tape too much?
On the contrary, white/white/white is ideal. Polish up the hoods and the saddle - it'll look smashing; especially with the frame color and the aerodynamic appearance of the C-Record group.

-Kurt

Old 06-16-10, 05:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by shrinkboy
matt sent me a pic of my old ride after he rec'd it....its the Miami Vice lookin' one on the left. and yes, i wish i'd never sold it, and the pile of Campy, Dura Ace and Mavic stuff that went with it...oh, and the serial number was J7289-- 89th frame built in October, 1972
I spy an '81/2 Superior in the background.

-Kurt

Old 06-16-10, 06:16 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Keep 'em coming folks. roccobike?
As Robbie well knows, I just picked up the same year Paramount as his (92), only it's a OS-3. Nearly 100% original. It still has all the RX-100 groupo. The bike was filthy but is now almost presentable. Sorry no pics. It has the same decals as Robbie's except it says "3" were his says "2". It's a metalic blue with red specs dotting the frame. It's a tad heavy for a high end bike, but both Robbie and I attribute that to the RX-100 and the Araya wheelset. It's a pretty bike and I'm sorry I don't have pics.
I brought it into the LBS last week to have the pedals removed (stem and seatpost were easily removed, but the pedals were locked in place, go figure). They fawned over it. Everything stopped while the employees and shop owner gave her the once over. BTW, the shop I went to is very C&V freindly. One of the mechanics didn't like the specaled paint from that era. But his comment was, "Hey, it's a Paramount, who cares about the small stuff". Well said.
Old 06-16-10, 06:18 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Robbie, you might find this one interesting, for it's one of the less-recognizable 2nd-generation Paramount's - a '68 P12 w/o chrome lug option + steel Stronglight Competition crankset, and a Campagnolo (steel) Record RD:

https://cgi.ebay.com/1968-VINTAGE-SCH...item2a07c2af5e

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-16-10 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 06:21 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
As Robbie well knows, I just picked up the same year Paramount as his (92), only it's a OS-3. I brought it into the LBS last week to have the pedals removed (stem and seatpost were easily removed, but the pedals were locked in place, go figure). They fawned over it. Everything stopped while the employees and shop owner gave her the once over. BTW, the shop I went to is very C&V freindly. One of the mechanics didn't like the specaled paint from that era. But his comment was, "Hey, it's a Paramount, who cares about the small stuff". Well said.
We just couldn't let that one get away from the family...and there is another, 60cm about 6 miles away that I need to look at and get info on for another BF member (he's already got two Ironman bikes, so his "deviation" is OK with me....) Rock it, rocco...

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 06-16-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 06:45 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
in the early 80s, i bought a 70s era paramount frame and fork from a guy who had rattlecanned it metallic blue and then never built it. i paid $125 for it. no braze-ons, rattle paint. it sat for several years, but then did a trade for service deal with a LBS owner who wanted hypnosis to quit smoking. we sent the frame to a california frame shop- Medici?- and asked 'em to re-chrome the lugs, dropouts, and rear chain stays, add full braze-ons, put 80s style Paramount decals on, and do a two color paint (hot rodder mindset...erf!) LBS guy tried to talk me out of it, but eventually took the 'its your bike' approach...i built it up with surplus Campy and Phil Wood hubs, Mavic sewups, etc and set about riding it for several years, until i became a full time swimmer for a couple decades. in 2007, i put an ad for all the old cycling gear i knew i'd 'never need again' up on Velospace and eventually sold it all to a fellow in Michigan whom i've since discovered goes by 'redxj' here on BF, where i have now arrived myself after doing what i thought i'd never do again-returning to cycling!!

matt sent me a pic of my old ride after he rec'd it....its the Miami Vice lookin' one on the left. and yes, i wish i'd never sold it, and the pile of Campy, Dura Ace and Mavic stuff that went with it...oh, and the serial number was J7289-- 89th frame built in October, 1972
Hey, thats me!!!! I always called it my Miami Vice Paramount as well. I rode it for awhile, but already had another 73' P13 in the stable so it ended up getting trimmed from the heard. I believe I shipped the frameset to a new home in sunny California. That Peloton to its right is a former ride of mine as well that found a new home. That is a real flattering picture of me in the background (the one with the beer gut without the tattos).

Good to see you are back into cycling again.
Old 06-16-10, 06:48 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
73' P13 repainted in the 80's by Matt Assenmacher a non-stock color (original was Silver Mist). Reynolds 531, campagnolo dropouts, chrome Nervex lugs, and full Campagnolo Nuovo Record group. Original order did the upgrade to Campagnolo Record brakes instead of the stock center pulls. Mostly still original parts with the front derailleur being Super Record, new derailleur pulleys on the rear, and low Flange Campagnolo hubs to Mavic clinchers instead of the stock high flange to tubular wheels.

76' P14 that is original paint (silver mist) and mostly original parts. This is an older pic with the beat up Campagnolo track wheelset I got at another time. The hubs have since been relaced to Fiamme tubular rims for the P14. It is the full Campagnolo track group with Cinelli steel track bar and stem. The Regal and SR post are gone and have an American classic post with a plastic Cinelli Unicantor saddle. It is Reynolds 531 with Nervex lugs without chrome.

Old 06-16-10, 07:38 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts

Mine's from 1967. It has the "touring" geometry, and I believe it is a P-10 (the P-15 model number did not yet exist, according to Bob Hufford's fantastic on-line collection of Schiwinn catalogs).

I got it as a frame, fork and headset in yellow with red decals and pinstriping. Someone had splashed belash or something on the headtube, so it had off-white splotches, and the clear part of the decals had yellowed noticeably. Between that and the fact that I am not a big fan of Schwinn's yellow, I had Ed Litton repaint it and attach all the braze-ons that became common in the '80's. It is now a lovely, understated charcoal grey with white around the lugs (standard Paramount chrome on the head lugs and forkl crown). The headbadge is original and in great shape.

Except for the Campy headset that came with, the parts are neither original nor period correct with the sort-of exception of the Dia-Compe centerpull brakes that look exactly like the Weinmanns that were standard unless you paid for the Campy upgrade. Oh, and I've replaced teh seat post in the phot with the classis Campy 2-bolt style from back in the day. (I still love the way those look.) The parts have a Rivedellish flavor, as many of them (crankset, bars, stem, bottle cages, tires) came from there.

I use it mostly for commuting, but it is a comfy and capable all-day rider, and surprisingly nimble on descents.
Old 06-17-10, 08:27 AM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
yes, that's you redxj. thanx for the correspondence last year that got me that photo .... i forgot how i ID'd you once i showed up here on BF, but the 'net makes for a small world.
Old 06-17-10, 09:31 AM
Rammer
Texas Sec. 545.401

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Very nice enhancements and glad to see one being used as a daily driver instead of garage art.
Old 06-17-10, 11:06 AM
Mr. RideAlot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I previously had a thread but I guess It was moved, I am not to sure where the thread went, but I have a schwinn paramount, the badge says L7122 on the rear dropouts. Id like to sell it at a decent price, but I am unsure of the value. I got feedback saying it was a repaint and it lowers the value, but I was wondering how people were able to distinguish that.

photos of the bike can be seen here. https://img199.imageshack.us/g/cimg0536l.jpg/

I believe that people said the bike was a re-paint because of the "stripes" that are suppose to be on seat tubing. the bike has only one set, but it seems to be faded really bad. any help would be appreciated
Old 06-17-10, 11:13 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. RideAlot
So, I previously had a thread but I guess It was moved, I am not to sure where the thread went, but I have a schwinn paramount, the badge says L7122 on the rear dropouts. Id like to sell it at a decent price, but I am unsure of the value. I got feedback saying it was a repaint and it lowers the value, but I was wondering how people were able to distinguish that.

photos of the bike can be seen here. https://img199.imageshack.us/g/cimg0536l.jpg/

I believe that people said the bike was a re-paint because of the "stripes" that are suppose to be on seat tubing. the bike has only one set, but it seems to be faded really bad. any help would be appreciated
See my comments in the other thread regarding the 1971 and 1972 decals compared with the post-1975 decals on your bike.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-17-10, 11:18 AM
Mr. RideAlot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alright, thanks scooper
Old 06-17-10, 12:29 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Mr. RideAlot
So, I previously had a thread but I guess It was moved, I am not to sure where the thread went,d
It went to the valuations section (see top of the forum). Valuations are not allowed in the main forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

-Kurt

Old 06-17-10, 06:01 PM
Lug Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My very recently acquired 1967 p-14

And my 50th anniversary 1988 Paramount

Old 06-17-10, 06:26 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I lust after a 24" P14.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 06-17-10, 07:18 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Those Paramounts are truly amazing. Thanks for this thread people. Your efforts are appreciated.
Old 06-17-10, 08:14 PM
Muttleyone
Don't be a "Drew"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like an excuse to post a pic, lol. As most here have already seen, my '88 Team Wheaties/Schwinn Paramount. I'm pretty sure it is Columbus SLX with OS tubing, Dura Ace 7400. The Wheaties team was around for the '88 and '89 season. All the team bikes have Joe Bell paint. One of the coolest things about the team bikes is no serial number. Instead it had the riders last name stamped into the bottom bracket. Anyway love the thread and I'm always looking for more info on all the Paramounts.

Clickie

Mutt
Old 06-17-10, 10:32 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great thread and I'll post to be subscribed. I too have recently acquired a Paramount (from another forum member), a '72 chrome P13-9. It took a little detour to Waterford to have some new decals applied and while it was there, the chrome was brought up to a level that I'm sure can be scene from space. Otherwise very original. I believe the chrome Paramounts of this era were built by Don Maitland in Wisconsin. The quality of workmanship is certainly equal to any of my other handbuilts. It's still waiting for a touch or two to be complete. Once it is, I'll add it to the thread as well as Kurt's registry.
Old 06-28-10, 09:08 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
This weekend I finally fitted my Paramount with mudguards and took some pics. It's a 1963, serial #P15 (yes, serial #, not model #). I bought it as a frameset stripped of paint and had it painted by a local guy. Replacement decals from Waterford. The parts are mostly about ten years off--they largely came from a '72 Raleigh International--wheels w/ Nisi tubular rims and Campy Record hubs, Campy NR rear mech, Campy seatpost). Titan steel stem is more period correct, but GB Ventoux bars and Weinmann levers not so much. I did find a set of Schwinn-approved Weinmann calipers in the bin. I'm currently running it as a 6-speed with a Campy bar-end shifter and Stronglight 49D crankset w/ 48t ring.

Neal
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-15-13, 02:23 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

1986 made in Waterford. Obviously, DA7700 was not OEM. Sue me.

The wheels kind of freak me out; spokes on the sides of the rims..

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-15-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 03:01 PM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
WooHoo! A zombie thread is alive again.

I have three of them. I ride two of them and the third one is basically NOS and too small for me so it is wall art. I've upgraded my two riders to seven speed freewheels with 700c wheel-sets and replaced the rock-hard Brooks saddles with Selle An-Atomica Titanico X models, but I saved every single thing. For fifteen years I called them "Art" but finally got them off the wall, and started riding them a lot these past two years.

My Paramount web page

Old 03-15-13, 05:13 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
had 2 PAramount mountain bikes from '92 or '93 -- they were the PDG bikes and built with Tange PRestige tubing . very sweet and very light (but neither one was built in Waterford)

Currently have a Waterford track bike that has me kept me happy at the velodrome since '00 -- it is definietely the real deal (not sure if its already been mentioned in the thread, but Paramount morphed into Waterford when the Schwin coup'd'etat happened in '91 or 92 )

The MTB's are long gone -- obviously the Waterford is the black one at the far irght in the pic below

Last edited by DMC707; 03-15-13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 05:58 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
1973 Paramount, painted in Flamboyant Red. Campagnolo Super Record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.