Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Please explain this crit "faux pas" please:

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Please explain this crit "faux pas" please:

Old 08-05-16, 04:04 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We should instantly judge people's character by the utterances they make while in the heat of battle.

Make sense?
Old 08-05-16, 04:07 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Hahahahaha...that dude is a whiner. You can do whatever you want. You can 100% attack a break. It might win you the race. It might lose it for you and everyone in the break. Whatever. It's racing.
This. In fact, if I attacked for a prime and got brought back and someone yelled at me about it, I'd attack again right then and there out of spite.

But I'm ornery like that. And the last three races I've been in a break with people who simply don't how to ride a break and I'm still a bit irritated by the whole thing.

When people start yelling, I stop cooperating. If it continued, I'll just straight sabotage the break and go again later if need be. There will certainly be disagreements quite frequently, but I don't think there needs to be straight-up yelling in bike racing (or anything, unless there's immediate danger). That's my opinion, at least.

Do what you need to do to get what can be yours. I race all sorts of races with big primes (100+ dollars) and going in a break specifically to go for the prime isn't a bad thing in the least. It's a good way to make some money that you might not get when the really good dudes decide to race really fast.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 08-05-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 05:45 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought the whole point of bike racing (or any racing) was to get to the finish line before everyone else.
If there was a prime, why on earth wouldn't you expect someone in the break to go for it? There may be temporary alliances, or yeah, you work together to establish a break, but at some point, someone has to attack to win. The dude that complained was probably just used to convincing everyone to work in a way that benefits him. He's just a whiner that something happened he didn't control.

Pretty sure Sagan got in the break 4-5 times in the TdF just so he could snipe the Green Jersey points then fall back to the peloton.
Old 08-05-16, 08:06 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just so we're clear: I know how to make a break work, and have established breaks, from which I've won (and one I got dropped from). I'm just saying that if one thinks that one has a better shot winning by attacking the break, then off you go...give 'er.
Old 08-10-16, 07:11 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Hahahahaha...that dude is a whiner. You can do whatever you want. You can 100% attack a break. It might win you the race. It might lose it for you and everyone in the break. Whatever. It's racing.
^ this
Old 08-10-16, 07:13 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also: another tactic that's entirely fair play, goes like this:

Yell at the other riders and tell them what they can and can't do.
Old 08-10-16, 07:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Creakyknees
Also: another tactic that's entirely fair play, goes like this:

Yell at the other riders and tell them what they can and can't do.
this works a lot of the time, btw, and is often easier than riding hard on your own legs
Old 08-10-16, 08:12 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If he could get out a full sentence clearly while in the break he was already sandbagging and the attack messed up his plan.

75 m with 3 laps to go in a 1/2 race and there are probably a lot of riders who can come out of the pack and take it all away just before the line without having to think too hard.

People attacking a break cost me a medal in the points race at masters track nats one year. Four of us with 3/4 of a lap on a 333 m track, working well, and then they ring the bell and a couple guys decide they want points and we all sprint for a half lap. A lap later it's me and one other guy left in the break and I'm totally gassed and finally fall off and back to the pack. The other guy eventually made it around and won, I ended up a couple points shy of the podium (realized later that I could have probably snagged those points in the last sprint). Nobody yelled at anybody about the attack - that's racing.
Old 08-11-16, 08:59 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
From the description this was Bob Rodale points race. It sounds like it was the last points sprint before the finish. From the context it sounds like they were back together so the guy had already sprinted for the points and came back to the break for the last couple of laps. With 3 to go I don't really see any reason for yelling in that situation.
Yeah, it certainly sounds like it, and this changes things. It's not a crit with a prime for some granola bars or something. It's a points race like it would be on the track. Sure, the final lap gives more points, but there are still significant points available at the intermediate sprints.