Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

wrist and forearm pain while touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-16, 09:16 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After many years of touring I began to experience wrist and forearm pain.
Many of my tours the last few years have been on rough pavement and gravel roads.
Going to a front fork suspension bike really wasn't an option because of my heavy
front panniers and above wheel storage bag so a bike shop pro suggested trying a
front handlebar suspension unit, the 'Softride Suspension System'. Well, after using it
for several tours, I can attest to it's ability to reduce shock to my wrists and forearms.
I can't seem to find that suspension in stores now. Has anyone else used a Softride unit
with success, and does anyone know where to buy them?
Old 11-12-16, 10:00 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softride

see some on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...uspension+stem

maybe made again.
https://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/soft.html
Old 11-12-16, 10:03 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Have you tried a professional bike fit? As we get older we need a bike that fits correctly. Correct fit changes as we get older aswell. Sounds like to much weight on the hands. A proper bike fit could change that.

(raise the handlebars)?
Old 11-12-16, 10:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have ridden and toured on my Marinoni Ciclo, a sport-touring bicycle.

I could ride LONG distances on that bicycle, including the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, with no difficulties at all from the time he arrived in my life.

Then I toured Australia for 3 months in 2004, and developed hand/wrist pain. Even up into my forearms at times. How odd.

The hand etc. pain continued after that tour as well for the next year or so. My fit hadn't changed, my fitness hadn't changed ... I couldn't figure it out.

And then Rowan visited me in late 2005, and suggested removing my front rack. Really? Why? Well, apparently a front rack can stiffen the front end of a bicycle. And ... the hand pain did correspond with the time I put a front rack on the bicycle. Somewhat reluctantly and sceptically, we removed the front rack ... and my hand pain disappeared!

It hasn't been back since and I've put a whole lot more km on my Marinoni Ciclo in tours and long distance rides.
Old 11-13-16, 03:50 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are the best two options I've found.

TranzX - Anti-shock Stem
https://tranzx.com/wp-content/uploads...ock-Series.pdf

Redshift - Shockstop
https://www.redshiftsports.com/shockstop/
Old 11-13-16, 12:51 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses...to clarify, I don't have problems while touring on
decent smooth roadways. It's only the rough cold rolled or weather compromised
asphalt and gravel roads that caused my wrist and forearm pain. The Softride
suspension system works well to reduce the problem. Both the above shown
'Tranzx' and 'Redshift' products seem to be similar while likely being better built.
After so many miles, my Softride unit is becoming a bit too sloppy so needs to be
changed.
Old 11-13-16, 01:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As I Recall soft ride stems are super Long. like 15cm I'm Running shorter , sitting Up more..

Take more breaks , spend time in cafes with the Locals.. shorten the daily Mile ambitions ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-13-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 01:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Wear some wrist bands

They work

Old 11-13-16, 02:29 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
As I Recall soft ride stems are super Long. like 15cm I'm Running shorter , sitting Up more..

Take more breaks , spend time in cafes with the Locals.. shorten the daily Mile ambitions ..

Lol! My tours lately are in pretty remote BC-Yukon places so any 'cafes' or stops of any kind
I take advantage of, enjoying chatting with the locals....but they're usually a long way apart.
I have 2 touring bikes. The one I use for the rougher conditions is set up the same distance
as the one I use on normal smooth highways where I have no problems. I should mention that
I also use a bit fatter tire with less air pressure in combination with the handlebar suspension.
Traveling slower down the steep grades of rough pavement with many expansion joints close together
would probably help, but after long climbs, the thrill of racing down the other side is too tempting.
My current problem isn't in looking for a solution for the wrist pain, I've already found it...it's
looking for another new suspension unit to replace my worn out one.
Old 11-13-16, 04:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You Pick yer poison..

I liked Pub Hopping Ireland, with my Mandolin, and seeking out Pub sessions to sit in.

Wear Wrist supports ? (Maybe one of those dual suspension Tout Terrain Pan america touring rigs Will be right up your Lane. )

Suspend the whole Bike ( looks like the derailleur/R'off Model is getting replaced By The Pinion gearbox )

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-13-16 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-14-16, 11:17 PM
jeff400650

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you used these?

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
These are the best two options I've found. I think I will order the Shockstop. I have bad tendonitis in one elbow, and rough trails on my gravel bike really aggravate it.

TranzX - Anti-shock Stem
https://tranzx.com/wp-content/uploads...ock-Series.pdf

Redshift - Shockstop
https://www.redshiftsports.com/shockstop/
I think I will order the Shockstop. I have bad tendonitis in one elbow, and rough trails on my gravel bike really aggravate it.
Old 11-16-16, 09:08 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Convert a full suspension mountain bike --- why suffer at all ;o)

Joe
Old 11-17-16, 06:14 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff400650
I think I will order the Shockstop. I have bad tendonitis in one elbow, and rough trails on my gravel bike really aggravate it.
I'm considering one for myself as well. I you do get one, please post back here and let us know!
Old 04-02-17, 07:07 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I came here to look at the stem cushioning options, but then I remembered one might also Timtak your bike for goodly flex
Goodly Flex by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
Old 04-02-17, 07:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
I have 2 touring bikes. The one I use for the rougher conditions is set up the same distance
as the one I use on normal smooth highways where I have no problems. I should mention that
I also use a bit fatter tire with less air pressure in combination with the handlebar suspension.
Traveling slower down the steep grades of rough pavement with many expansion joints close together
would probably help, but after long climbs, the thrill of racing down the other side is too tempting.
My current problem isn't in looking for a solution for the wrist pain, I've already found it...it's
looking for another new suspension unit to replace my worn out one.
from my recent tour experience, I would suggest thinking of the possibility of slightly changing either your stem length/angle on your "rough road" bike, to get less weight off your hands.

or, or in combination with, slightly wider tires and slightly less pressures.

In my recent trip, I developed some wrist soreness that I initially thought was from a little fall I had with no bike gloves on, but I'm fairly sure that it was because I had upped the tire pressures just a bit when on smooth roads, but the rougher roads I was then on were harder on my wrists with the higher pressures.
I was using 26x2in slick type tires, and bringing the pressures in the front back down from 45psi to 40 or so really made a diff in softening up the front over rough roads.

To be honest, I think part of it also was getting older and being on a long trip, but I certainly noticed an improvement with slightly less front tire pressures on the 50mm tires, Schwalbe Supremes which have a nice flexible sidewall and a nice ride at the proper pressure for ones bike+rider+gear weight.

I bring this up in case you cannot find another example of your suspension stem, and I figure by raising/shortening the reach length, and perhaps playing with pressures, it can make that little diff that will help out.

good luck
Old 04-02-17, 08:08 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I have ridden and toured on my Marinoni Ciclo, a sport-touring bicycle.

I could ride LONG distances on that bicycle, including the Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, with no difficulties at all from the time he arrived in my life.

Then I toured Australia for 3 months in 2004, and developed hand/wrist pain. Even up into my forearms at times. How odd.

The hand etc. pain continued after that tour as well for the next year or so. My fit hadn't changed, my fitness hadn't changed ... I couldn't figure it out.

And then Rowan visited me in late 2005, and suggested removing my front rack. Really? Why? Well, apparently a front rack can stiffen the front end of a bicycle. And ... the hand pain did correspond with the time I put a front rack on the bicycle. Somewhat reluctantly and sceptically, we removed the front rack ... and my hand pain disappeared!

It hasn't been back since and I've put a whole lot more km on my Marinoni Ciclo in tours and long distance rides.
Machka,

Your experience ties into something I was thinking about the other day. I was wondering how the new fad of heavy loading the front fork would affect the fork's flex. There might be a greater effect of the added weight and the rack on lessening the fork's effectiveness to reduce the transmission of road shock to the rest of the frame.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-02-17 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 08:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Machka,

Your experience ties into an something I was thinking about the other day. I was wondering how the new fad of heavy loading the front fork would affect the fork's flex. There might be a synergistic effect of the added weight and the rack on lessening the fork's effectiveness in reducing the transmission of road shock to the rest of the frame.
certainly makes sense to me Doug, the triangle affect of the mid mount, the lower mount and the rack heading out from both of these points and meeting each other, probably reduces the fork "flex" with bumps a bit.
Sure, its probably just a bit, but so is the effect of tires that are more flexible and supple vs really stiff ones, and just as a bit lower pressure can make a diff in how a tire feels and handles.

the devil is in the details" sort of thing. Little things can make a real feelable difference, especially if it ends up creating just that little more shock to the hands or whatever and ends up being just that bit more that causes an issue that wasnt there before (just as a slight stem change, or bar angle position or whatever can help too)