Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride ends with felony

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride ends with felony

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-20, 03:07 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
cleaned this up a second time. No race baiting

Last edited by StanSeven; 02-17-20 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 02-17-20, 03:26 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
Of course, it ultimately will be the prosecutors that decide what exact charges if any to formerly file and prosecute Lopez on. Plus in most states, if they decide to prosecute for a felony they will have to convince a judge at a preliminary hearing that they have enough to do that.

If I were to bet I would feel comfortable betting that in the end, the cyclist will not end up with a felony conviction. IMO the worst-case scenario in the end legal wise will be he ends up with a misdemeanor or traffic violation. It is even possible, though perhaps not probable, that all charges will be dropped.
He was charged with a misdemeanor AND a felony. A prosecutor already argued that he be held for bail for a misdemeanor AND a felony, and a judge agreed.

He was only released after posting bail for a misdemeanor AND a felony.

He was NOT ticketed for a traffic violation.

Can you do even a little research, for the fourth time, before you share your not so informed opinion again?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-17-20 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 02-17-20, 03:41 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
In the OP linked article it stated:

Of course, it ultimately will be the prosecutors that decide what exact charges if any to formerly file and prosecute Lopez on. Plus in most states, if they decide to prosecute for a felony they will have to convince a judge at a preliminary hearing that they have enough to do that.

If I were to bet I would feel comfortable betting that in the end, the cyclist will not end up with a felony conviction. IMO the worst-case scenario in the end legal wise will be he ends up with a misdemeanor or traffic violation. It is even possible, though perhaps not probable, that all charges will be dropped.

So we have multiple issues here. The cycling protocol, stop signs, (I only stop if there is a danger of side traffic or someone is getting to the intersection in their car as I arrive too), the behavior of cyclists, the behavior of the cop, and what will be the legal outcome.
Oh, Bengal Cat, you're completely missing the point. Everything you said is besides the point. Here is the point:

Originally Posted by bruce19
That cop was a dick.
Likes For Moishe:
Old 02-17-20, 03:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
cleaned this up a second time. No race baiting

For what it's worth, I think this should be in P&R. The discretion/selective prosecution issue with the two cyclists being treated so differently is just too wrapped up in the politics of race for this conversation to make much sense without it..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-17-20, 04:16 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

1. He was charged with a misdemeanor AND a felony. A prosecutor already argued that he be held for bail for a misdemeanor AND a felony, and a judge agreed.

2. He was only released after posting bail for a misdemeanor AND a felony.

3. He was NOT ticketed for a traffic violation.

Can you do even a little research, for the fourth time, before you share your not so informed opinion again?

-mr. bill
1. That's exactly what I pointed out in my last post, that he was charged with both a misdemeanor and a felony and I quoted from the linked OP article.

2. The hearing I was referring to is if you are prosecuted for a felony, (which he hasn't been so far), normally you have a preliminary hearing on the merits to determine if there is enough evidence to go forward with a prosecution/trial. It is called a preliminary hearing. It is separate and has nothing to do with the bail hearing that you are referencing.

3. I never said he was ticketed for a traffic violation. It is however still theoretically and legally possible that he might be given the police officer eyewitness, plus the video evidence. If it were to happen it would most likely be part of deal or arrangement worked out between Lopez and or his attorney in exchange for dropping or reducing all other charges or potential criminal consequences.

Last edited by BengalCat; 02-17-20 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 07:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Where are the cops when you really need them
I used to say the same thing long ago...while driving in the Sierras to Reno from San Jose with my wife and 2 year old girl at about midnight a very impatient driver was tailgating with flashing high beams because my poor crv was unable to pass the other guy quite fast enough. We finally got past and merged over (which felt like forever, this guy was frighteningly close driving 70+ behind us) and he honked in a cursingly way as he blew past is. Less than 5 seconds later we were greeted with the sound of a siren and the flashing of lights as a cop that witnesses some part of it nabbed that jerk. That incident was pretty scary but from that time till now I am always so happy to see cops. I no longer say “there is never a cop when you need one” they have a hard job and simply can’t be everywhere.
Old 02-17-20, 08:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
...they have a hard job and simply can’t be everywhere.
Which is why being camped out at a remote "intersection" to protect the public from pelotons of menace is all the more silly.
Old 02-17-20, 08:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Fixt.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Which is why being camped out at a remote "intersection" to protect the public from pelotons of menace is all the more silly.
It does seem silly assuming they were there for that purpose. For all I know they could have been there killing time having lunch.
Old 02-18-20, 06:34 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I used to say the same thing long ago...while driving in the Sierras to Reno from San Jose with my wife and 2 year old girl at about midnight a very impatient driver was tailgating with flashing high beams because my poor crv was unable to pass the other guy quite fast enough. We finally got past and merged over (which felt like forever, this guy was frighteningly close driving 70+ behind us) and he honked in a cursingly way as he blew past is. Less than 5 seconds later we were greeted with the sound of a siren and the flashing of lights as a cop that witnesses some part of it nabbed that jerk. That incident was pretty scary but from that time till now I am always so happy to see cops. I no longer say “there is never a cop when you need one” they have a hard job and simply can’t be everywhere.
That is a valid counterpoint; thanks for pointing that out. A similar situation happened to my wife although it has never happened to me. I agree that the number of good, honest and hardworking cops vastly outnumbers the bad ones. I generalized out of frustration, but I must stand corrected.
Old 02-18-20, 07:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
It does seem silly assuming they were there for that purpose. For all I know they could have been there killing time having lunch.

Is that reason supposed to be more or less "silly"?
Old 02-18-20, 09:57 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
From the article:
Molyneaux said he believes that neighborhood complaints about the large groups of riders have led to tensions between the cycling community and law enforcement.
If you look at the area on google maps, it's a fairly remote in terms of traffic speed or congestion, so the only reason the people would be complaining is probably because 1) they don't like cyclists, and 2) they're jerks.

It's pretty common, unfortunately, in retirement areas. I don't know why, but AZ, which is also a great place for biking in just about every other way, has communities of old, mostly white retired people who are absolutely hostile even to individual riders going through 'their streets'.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-18-20, 10:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
From the article:

"Molyneaux said he believes that neighborhood complaints about the large groups of riders have led to tensions between the cycling community and law enforcement."

If you look at the area on google maps, it's a fairly remote in terms of traffic speed or congestion, so the only reason the people would be complaining is probably because 1) they don't like cyclists, and 2) they're jerks.

It's pretty common, unfortunately, in retirement areas. I don't know why, but AZ, which is also a great place for biking in just about every other way, has communities of old, mostly white retired people who are absolutely hostile even to individual riders going through 'their streets'.
You never know quite how to take complaints. Some people trip offline at the mere sight of "Spandex." Some people believe cyclists should stay off of the road. Some believe that cyclists should immediately remove themselves from the roadway when they approach in their car.

Sometimes complaints are justified. If the neighbors were complaining about riders ignoring traffic control signs and devices, then this video would tend to support that claim. If complaints were about cyclists not paying attention to the whole of the traffic picture in some way, this video would tend to support that. When you don't acknowledge the presence of enforcement using lights and sirens until they are on your wheel, it is unlikely that you are aware of the traffic around you and are working cooperatively with the other roadway users.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-18-20, 10:23 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You never know quite how to take complaints. Some people trip offline at the mere sight of "Spandex." Some people believe cyclists should stay off of the road. Some believe that cyclists should immediately remove themselves from the roadway when they approach in their car.

Sometimes complaints are justified. If the neighbors were complaining about riders ignoring traffic control signs and devices, then this video would tend to support that claim. If complaints were about cyclists not paying attention to the whole of the traffic picture in some way, this video would tend to support that. When you don't acknowledge the presence of enforcement using lights and sirens until they are on your wheel, it is unlikely that you are aware of the traffic around you and are working cooperatively with the other roadway users.
Yeah, it's terrible that these cyclists 'ran' the stop sign at a corner that is essentially a turn in a street, the other 2 directions go into almost nothing:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Va....1675542?hl=en

Old white people in retirement communities. It's bloody FL fer****sake. There's no reason for it. The fact that 2 cops had time to sit at a stop sign in a bloody driveway sorta tells you how boring/slow that it is in that area, yet they felt the need to not just ticket, but arrest and charge with a bloody felony?

Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-18-20, 10:23 AM
WhyFi

If the neighbors were complaining about riders ignoring traffic control signs and devices, then this video would tend to support that claim. If complaints were about cyclists not paying attention to the whole of the traffic picture in some way, this video would tend to support that. When you don't acknowledge the presence of enforcement using lights and sirens until they are on your wheel, it is unlikely that you are aware of the traffic around you and are working cooperatively with the other roadway users.
Disagree. There's a lot of gray area between following the letter to the law and being safe and sensible. To me, nothing in the videos supports a lack of safety or respect for others.
Old 02-18-20, 11:20 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a3091...cling-florida/

If there were no witnesses this kid would have been .......
Shot. Not a doubt in my mind.

This **** doesn't happen this way in Europe, or the UK. The UK being the best example since they've got their fair shake of law breakers and violent criminals also.

He's on a bike, and he's got a car. Where the heck is he going to go? 90 seconds, that's barely enough time to even have any kind of "chase".

To me, bubbah is getting all control freaky. Cuss the kid out, expensive ticket, but c'mon............he going to chase down and arrest all his cop buddies that roll stop signs in their patrol cars and treat them the same way? Right............he wouldn't.

More and more I feel I need to go on Amazon and get a front/rear camera system for both my car and bike. Even if in the wrong, at least the video would show if something goes stupid.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-20, 12:02 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Disagree. .
Did you read my post? I said the video supported that the cyclists did not adhere to traffic laws and didn't seem well tuned into the traffic around them. You disagree with that?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-18-20, 12:04 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Old white people in retirement communities.
The mods have asked several times to leave race out of this. Do you somehow think their requests don't apply to you?
Old 02-18-20, 12:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Shot. Not a doubt in my mind.

This **** doesn't happen this way in Europe, or the UK. The UK being the best example since they've got their fair shake of law breakers and violent criminals also.

He's on a bike, and he's got a car. Where the heck is he going to go? 90 seconds, that's barely enough time to even have any kind of "chase".

To me, bubbah is getting all control freaky. Cuss the kid out, expensive ticket, but c'mon............he going to chase down and arrest all his cop buddies that roll stop signs in their patrol cars and treat them the same way? Right............he wouldn't.

More and more I feel I need to go on Amazon and get a front/rear camera system for both my car and bike. Even if in the wrong, at least the video would show if something goes stupid.
I guess the thread is complete now. We have brought out Euro-envy.
Old 02-18-20, 12:16 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
What a d*ck cop with a massive ego issue! That guy must have been very sad growing up.

Real crime fighter here! A true american hero

Last edited by eduskator; 02-18-20 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-18-20, 12:28 PM
WhyFi

You disagree with that?
If you can't comprehend my post, there's no point in further discussion. Ta ta.
Old 02-18-20, 12:39 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
Something very similar to what happened to this cyclist happened to me once. At 6:57pm one Saturday in a small town on the Connecticut coast, I parked my car on a nearly empty street near a sign that said “no parking 9:00am to 7:00pm” and went in to the nearby art-house movie theatre to catch a 7:00pm showing of a dismal foreign movie. After the crappy movie, I returned to find a parking ticket written at 6:58pm. What I did not know at the time was that that Saturday was a declared Chicken**** Day in Connecticut, just as this cyclist didn’t now that it was Chicken**** Day in Florida.

I never stop at a Stop sign when riding my bike if I have clear lines of sight showing that it is safe to blow past the sign. I have run Stop signs in such situations in view of The Police with impunity. But I would never do this on Chicken**** Day.
Happened to me while in college in the early 70's. It was around 6:00 AM on a Sunday morning. I was riding through downtown Lincoln, Nebraska on my way to my summer job at a 24 hour grocery store.

I had attained a pretty decent speed on my lemon yellow Schwinn Varsity. I approached a stop sign, saw no one, which was unsurprising as there was essentially no traffic. I looked both ways and proceeded through the stop sign. Unbeknownst to me, one of Lincoln's finest was hiding behind a large sign. He pulled out and followed me with his lights and siren going. He pulled me over, listened to my explanation, agreed there was no traffic, and gave me a verbal warning, sending me on my way.

Had either or both of us copped, an attitude, the situation probably would have escalated. Fortunately, he was cool and so was I. No small feat as university students and police weren't necessarily the best of friends back then.
Old 02-18-20, 12:44 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

If the neighbors were complaining about riders ignoring traffic control signs and devices, then this video would tend to support that claim. If complaints were about cyclists not paying attention to the whole of the traffic picture in some way, this video would tend to support that.
Disagree. To me, nothing in the videos supports a lack of safety or respect for others.
If you can't comprehend my post, there's no point in further discussion. Ta ta.
You see, my post was about riders adhering to the law and being tuned into their surroundings. Your disagreement was about safety and respect. Typically when people say they disagree and attempt to qualify that disagreement with unrelated content, that is likely to cause some confusion. Just a friendly FYI.
Old 02-18-20, 12:59 PM
WhyFi

You see, my post was about riders adhering to the law and being tuned into their surroundings. Your disagreement was about safety and respect. Typically when people say they disagree and attempt to qualify that disagreement with unrelated content, that is likely to cause some confusion. Just a friendly FYI.
There you go, not comprehending again.
Old 02-18-20, 01:01 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

There you go, not comprehending again.
It is duly noted that as long as you comprehend your response in a discussion, that's all that matters.
Old 02-18-20, 01:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Now with that useless exchange out of the way, I'll disagree with part of the disconnected content in your disagreement.

I will say that the video does show a lack of respect for others. I will qualify that by speaking directly to it, not via a tangent. A rider who respected laws and law enforcement would approximate a stop before rolling through a stop sign right in front of an LEO. A respectful rider will be tuned in enough to his surroundings to see an officer signalling to him and respond appropriately. A respectful rider will be tuned in enough to his surroundings to be able to hear and appropriately respond to sirens before the officer is on his wheel.

People who respect the laws, law enforcement and other road users don't bury their heads and plow forth oblivious to their surroundings.

Would you like to disagree with that with a comment about chocolate milkshakes?
Likes For Paul Barnard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.