Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Second hand bike - rennovate and uglify

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Second hand bike - rennovate and uglify

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 09:39 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My commuter bike is an old Trek 7000 that was nice in its time. Being aluminum it didn't rust but the paint job got beat up. But the thing that was beat up the most was the saddle, the covering was torn and worn out, so I left it like that. It just makes the bike look like a POS. But if you look closely you would see a new pair of dynamo wheels with Gatorskin tires and XT 10sp components and an expensive dynamo light. But even here in NYC it hasn't attracted any attention. But cognizant of my post earlier in the thread, I still don't leave it out for more than a half hour anywhere, and I use a ulock/cable combination.

I guess though that there is one thing about the bike that will always attract attention and that is the TREK logo on it, even scratched and beat up. My daughter has an old Cannondale that I fixed up for her and I have to keep telling her to NEVER lock it up outside. It'll be gone in an instant. It is old but in perfect shape. But she also had a bike stolen from her house in the rural college town of Potsdam, NY, so she knows that it happens. Oh, and she found that bike a few months later laying on someone's lawn. The homeowner was wondering who left it there.
Old 01-12-21, 07:00 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have just bought 3 more Romet Jubilat folders, making 5. They were so cheap I am more worried about having to replace the lock.
Old 01-15-21, 07:46 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
detroit

I got two cents......I live near Detroit.......people will steal anything even if its chained down totally worthless......doesent matter if its ugly or broken.........I had a repainted rusty mountain bike that I tried to give away for eight years.....someone ended up stealing it.....no seat...flat tires and all......... from my porch in the afternoon...........my nephew bought a new Schwinn Premis to ride while in college.......spray painted it three or four different colors......tires... handle bars... brakes ....cables.........it got stolen from almost immediately ..........luckily he got it back..... but after he graduated He gave it to me.......now I have a 88 Premis that rides like a dream but looks like a nightmare.....those were nice bikes.....knowing the original paint underneath is showroom new bugs me