Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

TBI from washboard roads?

Old 07-24-21, 05:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Usually I can ride in a vehicle track and it's a little better. Also running your front tire lower would help. You're running tubeless right? Drop the front to 25psi from 35psi, and as long as it's not folding over itself in a turn you should be good.

As others pointed out your arms turn into suspension so don't death grip the bars, strengthen your core up a bit with situps and crunches. Still tough on me for fast, long rides! My neck is the worst.
Old 07-25-21, 05:36 AM
Momokahn

Bikes: 2011 Trek Cobia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Living in SC Kansas where sand is the primary product on the back roads, wash boards can go on for miles and miles. This is especially true when when we have extended dry spells. Instead of me going out and jumping on the gravel bike (marketing campaign) band wagon, I just continue enjoying my rides (45 miles yesterday) on my 10 year old 29er Trek Cobia all original. Getting ready to head out again in about an hour. Hands feel fine, butt feels fine, and my bike does just fine. I run 2.1's front and back, with tubes at 5 pounds over max pressure. Last flat was in 2019. Average speed yesterday was 15.4 mph. Fast over wash boards works for me.
Old 07-25-21, 09:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Momokahn
I run 2.1's front and back, with tubes at 5 pounds over max pressure.
I can't understand why you would do this. Are you sure you aren't running your rims over max pressure? Stan's, as one example, has many rims that will only take 37psi with a 2.1" tire. They dont really specify what will happen if you exceed this, but I'm thinking they will split.

Also, you seem to have gotten lost from the MTB forum.
Old 07-25-21, 10:49 AM
Momokahn

Bikes: 2011 Trek Cobia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I can't understand why you would do this. Are you sure you aren't running your rims over max pressure? Stan's, as one example, has many rims that will only take 37psi with a 2.1" tire. They dont really specify what will happen if you exceed this, but I'm thinking they will split.

Also, you seem to have gotten lost from the MTB forum.
I've ran 5 or 10 over for decades on bike tires. Never an issue with any rim. Weighing 145 lbs helps too.

Lost from MTB forum? My 29er can be whatever I want it to be. It's my commuter, climber, racer, and road bike. ; )
Old 07-25-21, 04:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Momokahn
I've ran 5 or 10 over for decades on bike tires. Never an issue with any rim. Weighing 145 lbs helps too.

Lost from MTB forum? My 29er can be whatever I want it to be. It's my commuter, climber, racer, and road bike. ; )
What is the reasoning for running tires over max pressure on washboarded roads? I would think when you have such a wide tire as 2.1, you would want it to have less pressure to allow the tire to absorb more of the road imperfections.
Old 07-25-21, 09:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I see no reason to over pressure any tire or rim ever. There is a reason there is a max pressure, and higher pressures don't help anything. Mechanical losses will make up for any rolling resistance gains. Plus, I need to see a picture of miles of washboarded road. One of the roads I ride on occasionally has washboards on more of it than I would like, but it's a pretty steep downhill. Usually washboards happen where people brake
Old 07-26-21, 12:46 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
As someone else who rides in Kansas I can assure you that is not a widespread practice.
Old 07-26-21, 01:24 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I was thinking about this thread on my ride yesterday! Not a washboard road, but some pretty rough mountain bike trails. A few of the single-track trails were fairly fast but heavily potted, and there was just no way to avoid them. That was the most brain-rattling ride I've had so far. I probably should have let some air out of the tires (47mm tires at 30-35psi), but I'm not sure even that would have helped much.
Old 07-27-21, 05:40 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
This is going to come from way out in left field. Last week I did a gravel packing trip with three friends in northeast, Minnesota. We ran into many washboard roads. Oddly, I found that running them at speed was the best way of dealing with them. Granted, I was riding my Salsa El Mariachi with 2.5" tires, so had some float, but taking them fast, riding the crests, was so much better than riding them slowly. Sounds completely counterintuitive, but that was my experience.
Old 07-27-21, 05:49 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
This is going to come from way out in left field. Last week I did a gravel packing trip with three friends in northeast, Minnesota. We ran into many washboard roads. Oddly, I found that running them at speed was the best way of dealing with them. Granted, I was riding my Salsa El Mariachi with 2.5" tires, so had some float, but taking them fast, riding the crests, was so much better than riding them slowly. Sounds completely counterintuitive, but that was my experience.
Yep - that sounds completely intuitive to me. I've had the same experience (in cars too). Unfortunately, it doesn't work on gnarly trails (well, maybe it would if you could get yourself going fast enough!)
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 07-28-21, 08:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It's usually best to shift up one gear from where you would normally ride on rough roads. I'm not sure if that puts more pressure on your hands or not, but it mostly puts more pressure on your feet and off of your butt.
Old 08-03-21, 10:09 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
On roads with washboardish surface or alot of micro vibrations I usually pop into a bigger gear get my hands on the hoods loosely and stand up like I'm mashing a hill. I Let the bike drift and guide it with suggestion. Stay loose and keep - ass off the saddle.
Old 08-03-21, 03:14 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Unfortunately where I encounter wash board are the steep, twisty gravel roads. Hard to keep tension low in the body when you’re needing to brake and choose the best line. I’ve gotten better at this but I would flatten those roads if I could!