Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which bike?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Which bike?

Old 10-15-20, 11:26 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 160 Posts
Which bike?

I just retired and am 62. I have been relatively active but I really need to get in better shape and lose weight. I hate running and like bicycles. I have an older Raleigh Tri Lite street bike but some of the roads are rough enough I really worry about the thing breaking.
I went by a local bike shop looking for a replacement seat and found 3 similar bikes that are what I think are hybrid fitness bikes, and I would love to hear opinions on them.
One is a Fuji Absolute 2.1
One is a Cannondale M Trail 8
the last was a Felt Verza.
All are similar in price and I assume similar in quality.

If I buy one it would spend most of it's time on the streets or paved trails. I am too old to do hard core offroad riding but I would like to be capable of some hard packed trails.

Are there any real practical differences in these bikes, or should I just pick the pretty one?

Thanks
Old 10-15-20, 11:37 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
A Road Bike would be more fun.
Got this when I was 70.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-15-20, 11:58 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

If I ride a road bike it will be my Raleigh, but I have to get a new seat. Mine is packed hard. My wife has a Specialized trail bike and the seat on it feels much better that my '83 seat.
I don't have to have a new bike, but the prices surprised me.
Old 10-15-20, 02:21 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Of those three, I would avoid the Cannondale with its suspension fork. It will zapp speed to some degree, and it's not needed on streets and paved trails. Otherwise, the Felt and Fuji are very comparable. I'd get on both and see which one sings to you.

Anecdotally, my wife and I were looking at road bikes last weekend as a step up from our Specialized Sirrus 4.0s. I had been drooling over the Trek Domane SL5, and she wanted one as well, until she rode it. She did not like the feel of the fit, and ended up with a Specialized Roubaix that she absolutely loves the feel of even though it was less expensive and the drive train was a step down. Moral of the story - try riding both, and go with your gut.

If you decide to change the saddle on your Raleigh, look at the Specialized Power saddles. They are really nice.
Old 10-15-20, 02:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Thanks Mojo. That is the kind of advice I needed. I did notice the Cannondale had the front suspension and seems heavier.
Old 10-15-20, 02:42 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
You might be surprised at how much that shock fork can come into play on 'paved' trails and even streets and roads. I definitely recommend it on any hybrid bike. There are places on the trail i ride where I will encounter a washboard from tree roots pushing up the asphalt, on a downhill run. With a regular fork, I felt like I had to brake for this kind of thing or risk losing control and wrecking. I'm 75 and i don't want to have a bike wreck going down a hill. But I still like to go fast. When I tried the hybrid bike w/shock fork, it just sailed over those obstructions. At that moment I was hooked on the spring/hydraulic fork. The really good ones are air/hydraulic and are significantly lighter. These forks do not 'bounce' as you pedal, so there's really no power loss there. They're set up pretty stiff but even with smaller, harder tires they do the job. I would recommend you check out 'Bikes Direct' at least to get an idea of what is out there and what's a rock-bottom price. Most people can finish assembling a bike with no problems. Spring/shock fork, hydraulic disc brakes and higher-mounted handlebar will definitely make your exercise/fun riding more safe and more fun.
Old 10-15-20, 03:03 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
I'm not down on the Cannondale. It just didn't seem to fit pepper's design brief. It's designed more as an off-road trail bike with its geometry fitting that bill.

Personally, if I were getting a hybrid with suspension fork and my main use was pavement, then I would look for a locking fork.

Here's a nice review of the Cannondale: https://bikexchange.com/cannondale-trail-8-review/
Old 10-15-20, 04:41 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Most of these forks lock. But if you do that, you're carrying the weight for nothing. Again, there really is no energy loss with them - the weight and different geometry (hybrid) are the main things. I didn't research any of those bikes. i feel if the OP doesn't want to go to the trouble of adequately describing them, then I'm not doing any googling. However, the post is in Hybrid Bikes so why wouldn't he be talking about hybrids?
Old 10-15-20, 05:04 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by 1saxman
Most of these forks lock. But if you do that, you're carrying the weight for nothing. Again, there really is no energy loss with them - the weight and different geometry (hybrid) are the main things. I didn't research any of those bikes. i feel if the OP doesn't want to go to the trouble of adequately describing them, then I'm not doing any googling. However, the post is in Hybrid Bikes so why wouldn't he be talking about hybrids?
the guy at the shop said they were hybrids. I know just enough to tell they weren’t street biles and didn’t look like mountain bikes.
They have straight handlebars so they aren’t cyclo-cross bikes.
Other than that I only really know how to pedal a bike.
In fact when I looked at a seat recommended earlier I had to look up seat sizing. I have never even thought to measure my butt before.
Old 10-16-20, 06:29 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Of those three, I would avoid the Cannondale with its suspension fork. It will zapp speed to some degree, and it's not needed on streets and paved trails. Otherwise, the Felt and Fuji are very comparable. I'd get on both and see which one sings to you.

Anecdotally, my wife and I were looking at road bikes last weekend as a step up from our Specialized Sirrus 4.0s. I had been drooling over the Trek Domane SL5, and she wanted one as well, until she rode it. She did not like the feel of the fit, and ended up with a Specialized Roubaix that she absolutely loves the feel of even though it was less expensive and the drive train was a step down. Moral of the story - try riding both, and go with your gut.

If you decide to change the saddle on your Raleigh, look at the Specialized Power saddles. They are really nice.
i found a Selle Italia Flite TM online for a good price. I will post how it works when it gets here.
Old 10-16-20, 10:15 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
i found a Selle Italia Flite TM online for a good price. I will post how it works when it gets here.
My Grandaughter has a Fuji Absolute, and it's really a nice bike. The fact that it hasn't been in my garage for wrenching, tells me it is fairly robust.

She even cleans her chains! lol
Old 10-27-20, 10:23 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Well, the Flite saddle finally came and I installed it on the bike and tried it on my indoor trainer.
It must be me being overweight but this saddle hurts my sit bones. Bad.
I am going to try a saddle on my old Olmo but I cant ride this Flite.