Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10-spd Campy on a 9-spd Shimano

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 02:37 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Have a set of wheels with a 9-spd Shimano cassette on which I would like to put a 10-spd Campy (or a 10-spd Shimano) cassette. What is needed in order to accomplish this? Will spacers and some adjustment do the trick? I have 10-spd chains, so no issue there.
If yes, who sells the proper spacers?
Thanks.
Old 01-28-21, 02:46 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
If you want to put a Shimano 10 speed on, it should be fine. Just take the old one off and put the new cassette on.

For Campy, you have a few options, none of them good. Some companies have a separate freehub body that will fit their hub. Get that and install it and you're good. This usually isn't possible depending on the brand.

The other is to take a 10 speed Shimano cassette and put different spacers in between to match Campy spec. I don't know the numbers off hand.

A final option is a cable pull doodad that will alter the Campy cable ratio to work on a Shimano cassette. This is your best choice if you only have one rear wheel for the bike.

I'd probably shop for a new wheel that is Campy compatible before doing anything if I were you.
Old 01-28-21, 02:57 PM
ParamountScapin 

Hmmmm............. this is making me think. If a 10-spd Ultegra will fit where I currently have a 9-spd (I'm not a Shimano person, so bear with me) the perhaps all I need to do is get a 10-spd Shimano cassette and put in a set of Campy 10-spd spacers?
That is likely way too easy.
Old 01-28-21, 03:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Yes it is too easy.

I'm assuming your bike is Campy.

The problem is that very few, maybe nobody, makes a 10speed cassette that is separate cogs. It's on riveted spiders and such.

Maybe Miche. I know their Campy knockoffs are separate cogs, maybe their Shimano ones are too. Then comes the issue of spacers. Where to get them and wasn't 10sp Campy the one with two different sizes of spacers, for different positions on the cassette? It might shift like crap.

I run 10 speed Campy. I've had no trouble finding wheels. I've got two sets, totally compatible, nothing funny. It would have to be a pretty magical wheel for me to go through whatever this is going to take.

Look up the Sheldon Brown compatibility chart. You might be able to run 9 speed Shimano and have an extra unused click. Also look up Shimaganolo here, there are pages of ideas from people far more experienced than me.
Old 01-28-21, 03:28 PM
ParamountScapin 

Bike is 10-spd Campy. Wheel I wish to use currently has a 9-spd Ultegra cassette.
Had forgotten about Sheldon's website. Thanks.
May simply adjust the derailleur stops and only use 9-spd, if nothing else.
I'll start by pulling the 9-spd cassette and seeing if it is riveted..None of my Campy cassettes are.
Now to see if I have a Shimano cassette nut wrench.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 01-28-21 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-28-21, 03:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The problem is that Shimano and Campy cassettes are incompatible in 2 ways: 1) Campagnolo cassettes will not fit on Shimano-spline freehub bodies; and 2) the cogs on a Camp. cassette are spaced differently that Shimano cassettes. One way to use a Shimano compatible wheel with Campy shifters/derailleurs is to fit Shimano-splined cogs with Campy spacing on the freehub. A few years ago Ambrosio and Miche (and I want to say American Classic) would sell you a cassette just like that. I have one on a set of tubulars that I wanted to use with a Centaur/Chorus equipped bike. Unfortunately I have not seen those in a long time. The other way is to make one yourself, as suggested above.
Old 01-28-21, 04:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Look up "Shiftmate". There are models that will let you do nearly any mix-and-match between Campy and Shimano components. I've used them to match Campy 10-speed shifters with Shimano 9 and 10-speed cassettes and rear derailleurs and Shimano 10-speed shifters with Campy 10-speed cassettes and rear derailleur. Nearly any permutation is possible and they work very well.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-28-21, 05:10 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by HillRider
Look up "Shiftmate". There are models that will let you do nearly any mix-and-match between Campy and Shimano components. I've used them to match Campy 10-speed shifters with Shimano 9 and 10-speed cassettes and rear derailleurs and Shimano 10-speed shifters with Campy 10-speed cassettes and rear derailleur. Nearly any permutation is possible and they work very well.
I guess the reason I didn't suggest it is that it becomes part of the drivetrain. So if he's got 2 wheelsets, one Campy and one Shimano, then the shiftmate would only offer the correct pull for one. This makes wheel swaps impossible.

However, nice used Shimano wheels are more common, so I he got the Shiftmate, he could just get extra Shimano wheels and be happy.

I've got two sets of Campy wheels for my bike, so I hadn't thought about it that way.
Old 01-28-21, 05:19 PM
ParamountScapin 

Again, had forgotten about the Shiftmate. Thanks. They are easy enough to install/remove, so that would be an easy solution.
The wheels I want to use are my old pair of Scirocco with a Shimano hub on my 10-spd silver Centaur group Scapin. As mentioned above, the preferred solution would be a Campy hub, but finding one has proved daunting.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 01-28-21 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 04:09 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
A 10sp sized Campy cassette will NOT fit on a 9sp Shimano freehub. It is just too big. That's for starters. You CAN put .2mm spacers onto a Shimano 10sp Ultegra (and not 105) cassette and it will be close enough to a Campy cassette to work well, but you will only be able to use 9 cogs because of the lack of space. The issue with this is that you can't remove the smallest cog as that is special, nor the largest cogs as they are usually joined, so you have to remove something in the middle and that is not ideal for shifting. It will work as the spacing will be sorta/kinda correct. If you want .2mm spacers you'll have to make your own too. I couldn't find them when I did this myself. In my case I had an 11sp Shimano freehub and that would fit the entire 10sp Ultegra cassette spaced out for Campy. I use this on my trainer and have no issues with it whatsoever. My opinion of the shiftmate is that it then locks you into something that you may want to change. None of the Miche or other brands really work either, mostly due to the total width, and besides are unavailable.

If you decide you want to pursue using a Shimano cassette spaced for Campy let me know. I still have plenty of material left to cut those .2mm spacers.
Old 01-29-21, 04:21 PM
ParamountScapin 

Thanks for the offer. If the Shiftmate does not work, I'll be in touch.
Old 01-29-21, 05:44 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
One way to use a Shimano compatible wheel with Campy shifters/derailleurs is to fit Shimano-splined cogs with Campy spacing on the freehub. A few years ago Ambrosio and Miche (and I want to say American Classic) would sell you a cassette just like that... Unfortunately I have not seen those in a long time.
I remember seeing IRD ones: https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...y-spacing-4929 and looking at them out of curiosity (I still ride 9s, do not have any 10s or 11s). Not exactly cheap for $150, probably production volume is small. Also, not everyone may need the whole 11-34 range.
Likes For csport:
Old 01-29-21, 06:28 PM
ParamountScapin 

In the flatlands of the southern NJ coast an 11-32 would be silly. If we want a hill we have to find a bridge. 12 or 13-24 or 27 is plenty with a 53/39 front.
Old 01-29-21, 06:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I remember seeing IRD ones: https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...y-spacing-4929 and looking at them out of curiosity (I still ride 9s, do not have any 10s or 11s). Not exactly cheap for $150, probably production volume is small. Also, not everyone may need the whole 11-34 range.
Yeah, I don't think my RD could handle that size. Surprised that they don't offer a 12-27.
Old 01-30-21, 02:18 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by ParamountScapin
In the flatlands of the southern NJ coast an 11-32 would be silly. If we want a hill we have to find a bridge. 12 or 13-24 or 27 is plenty with a 53/39 front.
I'd been riding 13-26 Campy 10sp for years but recently decided to go with a 13-29 when I needed a replacement. There are only three places in the NY Metro area where I have even used it, one in northern NJ on Alpine hill along the Palisades. There is one hill in Brooklyn that is 9% but really short and I first tried it there. Up in The Bronx I visited The Joker's staircase and rode from the bottom to the top on the street and that was pretty steep too. But otherwise I hardly ever even use the small ring up front.
Old 02-01-21, 08:15 PM
ParamountScapin 

Been so long since I've done anything like this that I had to go over with my riding buddy out in CO. He reminded me that 9-spd Shimano and 10-spd Campy have similar spacing and that can just set the stop-screws on the derailleur so only use 9 of the 10 spots on the Centaur shifters and will be good. That's great as I really prefer to ride the Scirocco wheels compared to the Ksyrium since 9-spd is plenty.
Old 02-03-21, 12:56 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
^ Some insist this works. Some insist it doesn’t. If you already have all the parts you aren’t out anything to give it a try.

The spacing is close, but not the same. According to Sheldon Brown’s spacing crib sheet https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html
and my own measurements, 9 sprockets of a Campag 10-sp cassette will come out to 34.5 mm, which is 2 mm less than a 9-sp Shimano. His list doesn’t have a value for Campag spacing because on some cassettes it varies. For the constant-spaced Centaur 12-30 the removable loose spacers are 2.6 mm, giving a C-to-C spacing of 4.3 mm, cf Shimano at 4.34. So I subtracted one sprocket and one 2.6 mm spacer to get the total thickness of 9.

If you “69” a Shim9 cassette against a Campag10, both installed on wheels, you can see they don’t line up perfectly 9 on 9. Close enough? May be.

More info here. https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-l...gears/shimergo

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 02-03-21 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 10:57 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

Last time I checked they were pricey but they work.
Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 02-15-21, 11:10 AM
ParamountScapin 

I ordered the correct Campy freehub. Should have by the end of the month. About $80.

Last edited by ParamountScapin; 02-15-21 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For ParamountScapin: