Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Daytime running lights

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Daytime running lights

Old 06-08-21, 02:35 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
[QUOTEHaving same setup as you do. Working great for me.][/QUOTE]

The light is good enough that motorists from a considerable distance move further away from me. I would turn it off if I was on a heavily traveled separated path so I don't annoy people.
Old 06-09-21, 07:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Knock yourself out. Just don't strobe on the bike path. Definitely counterproductive, makes people less safe.
There really shouldn't be any need for daytime lights on the bike path at all. IMO lights are so you can be noticed by drivers.
Old 06-09-21, 08:18 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
There really shouldn't be any need for daytime lights on the bike path at all. IMO lights are so you can be noticed by drivers.
I'll use a front flasher on a MUP so ppl can see me from a distance. For example, on the Bear Creek path west of Denver, there's areas where you can see a half-mile or longer down the path, and the flasher (or me seeing another's flasher) gives us a heads-up that we're approaching each other. Less surprises. 😊
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 06-09-21, 08:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
I'll use a front flasher on a MUP so ppl can see me from a distance. For example, on the Bear Creek path west of Denver, there's areas where you can see a half-mile or longer down the path, and the flasher (or me seeing another's flasher) gives us a heads-up that we're approaching each other. Less surprises. 😊

OK, so here's where we use the math to show why that is bad. It's called the inverse square rule--every time you half the distance to the viewer, you quadruple the light hitting the viewer. If a flasher is visible at a 1/2 mile, it's 4 times as bright at a 1/4, 16 times as bright at 1/8, 64 times at 1/16, 128 times at 1/32, etc. So when you get within a few feet of the other guy, your light is going to be extremely bright and flashing, which makes it impossible for the other guy's pupils to adjust to the very bright light. So you see each other well at 1/2 mile, but up close, the guy can't really focus on you. So you're basically blinding the guy right when he's most likely to run into you so he can see you at a distance where you're irrelevant to each other.

At least turn off the flash. Solid bright light in the daytime doesn't cause the problem, and it's plenty visible for a path.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-21, 07:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
If I can see 1/2 mile down the trail, I can see other cyclists ahead. And for cases when I can't see that far ahead, it's no big deal. I'm not going so fast that I need 1/2 mile distance for reaction time.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 06-15-21, 07:10 AM
VTBike

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have always found daytime lights on rail trails to be obnoxious. If you are going so fast that you need a light to be safe, you shouldn't be riding on a rail trail. And if you don't need the light for safety... well... turn it off.
Likes For VTBike:
Old 06-15-21, 09:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If I can see 1/2 mile down the trail, I can see other cyclists ahead. And for cases when I can't see that far ahead, it's no big deal. I'm not going so fast that I need 1/2 mile distance for reaction time.
Totally agree.

Even if both bikes are going 25 miles an hour in opposite directions, that's 36 seconds notice. No one needs the 1/2 mile reaction time.

And if you have the same brightness without the flash, how much closer would I have to be to notice it? Our eyes can adjust to a bright constant light, but flashing makes that impossible.
Old 06-15-21, 09:46 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by VTBike
I have always found daytime lights on rail trails to be obnoxious. If you are going so fast that you need a light to be safe, you shouldn't be riding on a rail trail. And if you don't need the light for safety... well... turn it off.
If there are pedestrians on the rail trail, don't assume that they will see you. Earphones on (so no bell will penetrate their consciousness), head down in phone, or walking 5 abreast, or letting their dog wanter on a 20 foot lead.....
It wouldn't make any difference how slow I was going...I have come up to situations like those at 2 mph without getting a reaction.
Anything that makes them notice me is a plus.
(And that's just the people facing me. All the ones walking on the same side as me, travelling in the same direction, are a different (unsolveable) problem.)
If, as a daytime cyclist, you find a small oncoming flasher like Bontrager Ion to be obnoxious, you have missed one of the first car-driving lessons I got from my father: "Approaching car at night with high beams - Don't stare at the lights; look at the road shoulder or lane marking on your side and just drive."
Old 06-15-21, 11:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
If there are pedestrians on the rail trail, don't assume that they will see you. Earphones on (so no bell will penetrate their consciousness), head down in phone, or walking 5 abreast, or letting their dog wanter on a 20 foot lead.....
It wouldn't make any difference how slow I was going...I have come up to situations like those at 2 mph without getting a reaction.
(And that's just the people facing me. All the ones walking on the same side as me, travelling in the same direction, are a different (unsolveable) problem.)
If, as a daytime cyclist, you find a small oncoming flasher like Bontrager Ion to be obnoxious, you have missed one of the first car-driving lessons I got from my father: "Approaching car at night with high beams - Don't stare at the lights; look at the road shoulder or lane marking on your side and just drive."
You mean the 1500 lumen Bontrager Ion?

Ok, so here's why that last bit of advice is stupid--a path is not a road, so when we pass each other in opposite directions, your stupid blinky light is actually filling the entire scope of my forward vision--we're just a few feet apart, for crying out loud.. I've been in a situation where a father's stupid blinky light actually made it impossible for me to know that his small son was riding his own bike right next to him.

And by the way, nice deflection, but your father was giving you advice on how to cope with another driver doing something stupid and illegal--misusing the high-beams. Bright blinky lights on the path are being made illegal in a growing number of places with good reason--they're not just obnoxious, they're actually a safety hazard.

Basically, anyone who is strobing a bright light on a MUP is acting like a jerk, and stupidly making themselves and everyone else LESS safe. You've just posted that anyone bothered by this just has to cope with your absurdly inconsiderate behavior by forcibly having to stop looking ahead of themselves on a relatively narrow path that could have all sorts of traffic of varying speeds on it directly ahead of you.

Turn off the blinking, is that really so hard? No one has been able to refute that the blinking makes it impossible for the pupils to adjust, which is the real issue with the flashing.
Old 06-15-21, 12:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
... a small oncoming flasher like Bontrager Ion ...

It's like you don't even read what you are replying to.

How ever do you get "1500 lumen" from "a small oncoming flasher"?

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 06-15-21, 01:23 PM
VicBC_Biker

NO, I mean the 100 Lumen Bontrager Ion:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...light/p/14243/

It's a cube about 2.5 cm (1") square.
I have parked my bike with the flasher on and walked right up to it, and it certainly didn't blind me.
Perhaps we are talking about different sorts of 'rail trails' or MUPs?
The ones around my area have road crossings with car/truck traffic at short intervals, and also re-join busy roads so one is driving with car traffic again, sometimes after only a few minutes on the 'rail trail'.
Fear of being run down by a car or truck (or now, a speeding e-motorcycle aka 'e-bike' on a bike path) keeps many people from cycling. If small using daytime flashers helps to avoid accidents, and gets people exercising on bikes, I think that is a good thing.

Last edited by VicBC_Biker; 06-15-21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-15-21, 01:28 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

...lessons I got from my father: "Approaching car at night with high beams - Don't stare at the lights; look at the road shoulder or lane marking on your side and just drive."
No it's not.

If your light is such that other riders have to look at the side of the path, you are cheating them out of their situational awareness.

A smart coach would have implored you to slow as well.
Old 06-15-21, 01:32 PM
VicBC_Biker

Don't stare at the sun.
Don't stare at headlights.
Old 06-15-21, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...light/p/14243/

It's a cube about 2.5 cm (1") square.
I have parked my bike with the flasher on and walked right up to it, and it certainly didn't blind me.
Perhaps we are talking about different sorts of 'rail trails' or MUPs?
The ones around my area have road crossings with car/truck traffic at short intervals, and also re-join busy roads so one is driving with car traffic again, sometimes after only a few minutes on the 'rail trail'.
Fear of being run down by a car or truck (or now, a speeding e-motorcycle aka 'e-bike' on a bike path) keeps many people from cycling. If small using daytime flashers helps to avoid accidents, and gets people exercising on bikes, I think that is a good thing.
First Bontrager Ion I googled was this:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...light/p/22466/

1500 Lumen

Anyway, your post that first mentioned it was all about warning pedestrians on paths, not cars. Now it's about cars. Turn the flashing off unless you're approaching an intersection, problem solved. Weird that you're saying it isn't a problem after talking about high-beams, makes me think your second post is a complete backpedal from your first.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't be commenting on this at all if all the DLRs were 100 lumens or less, but I'm not exactly sure how bright that is. The lights that really bother me are a lot brighter than that, and I encounter them on the paths a lot.

And no, I don't want to encourage someone who would ride a bike in a manner that endangers other riders to ride more, so I'd guess you'd have to put a pretty clear limit on what constitutes "small" before I'd agree to that.
Old 06-15-21, 02:01 PM
Rick

I have not seen a daylight visibility taillight that would blind me during the day. All these diode lights run off of watts. Throwing a lumens number at them is inaccurate. Realistically the manufacturers should tell us the watts they run on. I asked Dinotte about how many lumens my taillight put out and they stated between 600 and 800. I haven't rode in a bike lane, MUP, or rail path etc in decades. A pot bellied pig on a retractable line made it clear to me that public paths weren't my thing.
Old 06-15-21, 02:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rick
I have not seen a daylight visibility taillight that would blind me during the day. All these diode lights run off of watts. Throwing a lumens number at them is inaccurate. Realistically the manufacturers should tell us the watts they run on. I asked Dinotte about how many lumens my taillight put out and they stated between 600 and 800. I haven't rode in a bike lane, MUP, or rail path etc in decades. A pot bellied pig on a retractable line made it clear to me that public paths weren't my thing.

Taillights are never the problem on a path. It's the damn "see from a mile away" headlights.
Old 06-15-21, 03:35 PM
Rick

Taillights are never the problem on a path. It's the damn "see from a mile away" headlights.
Almost all of the powerful bicycle lights are flood lights. That can be hard on ones eyes. I drove tractor trailer for some time and the Police lights constantly on around road construction made life more difficult.