Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why aren't road penalties higher?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Why aren't road penalties higher?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 07:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You have any evidence for that assertion?
Lots of personal experience and reading lots of accounts, is that sufficient for you?
Old 06-10-21, 07:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
[QUOTE=Rick;22095399]
[[color=#222222]Some people suggest that the penalties for accidents should be the same or similar as those for intentional crime.

I believe the penalties for unintentional accidents should be much lighter than those for intentional crime.

You may be involved in an accident in the future. If the penalties are tough, you get the tough penalty. Would you want that if it was an unintentional accident./QUOTE]

I don't believe in the catch all term accidents. There are things that are in our control and things that are out of our control.
Like driving around with a car under your truck? Your posts make no sense when you read them together.
Old 06-10-21, 07:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
INow if you want to have a real discussion of the issue, stop accusing people of trying to protect murderers. It just makes you sound stupid because obviously no one is trying to do that.
Bear in mind that the poster Rick dismissed a source as biased and only interested in putting criminals back on the streets. The source was the US Department of Justice, which is the largest law enforcement and prosecutorial organization in the US, probably largest in the world. Their entire job is putting criminals in prison.

Last edited by Koyote; 06-10-21 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Lots of personal experience and reading lots of accounts, is that sufficient for you?
Nope, sounds like complete horsecrap to me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-21, 07:05 AM
GhostRider62

I'm a lawyer and it's incredibly obvious you have no familiarity with the laws regarding criminal negligence and recklessness. Almost nothing you say in that post is correct, and if you're under the impression that the US is LESS criminally punitive than other comparable countries, you are sorely mistaken.

Malicious intent would be required to prove assault or malice murder (this kind of homicide is called different things in different states). There's all sorts of felony traffic offenses and homicides that don't require anywhere near malicious intent. The reason I said I wasn't going to play with the OP in this thread is because it assumed that penalties in the US are low which is begging the question. Low compared to what? What would be accomplished by raising them? How much should they be raised?

There's plenty of law on the books, if the problem is that police don't properly investigate or juries won't convict, your raised penalties won't get imposed anyway. Now if you want to have a real discussion of the issue, stop accusing people of trying to protect murderers. It just makes you sound stupid because obviously no one is trying to do that. The goal is to reduce or eliminate cyclist hit by motor death and injuries. Criminal penalties may play some role in that, but I don't think they're anywhere near the heart of the cause of the problem, nor would play much of a role in the solution.
Or you could just continue to stupidly insult people and end up talking to yourself. I'm good either way.
The goal should be to extract justice to the offenders AND to reduce/eliminate cyclists from being mowed down. Those are separate activities. The first is justice. A Meth impaired commercial truck driver mows down 7 cyclists killing 5 of them should get more than 10 years. I am in favor of the death penalty, Mr. Attorney. So, go ahead and call me stupid, too.
Old 06-10-21, 07:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
You have any evidence for that assertion?
No, that is not sufficient.

You clearly have no idea of what constitutes "evidence."
Old 06-10-21, 07:07 AM
GhostRider62

Nope, sounds like complete horsecrap to me.
Fine, have a nice day.
Old 06-10-21, 07:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The goal should be to extract justice to the offenders AND to reduce/eliminate cyclists from being mowed down. Those are separate activities. The first is justice. A Meth impaired commercial truck driver mows down 7 cyclists killing 5 of them should get more than 10 years. I am in favor of the death penalty, Mr. Attorney. So, go ahead and call me stupid, too.

I called accusing people of wanting to protect murderers stupid, Mr. Not Attorney, and I stand by that. When someone acts stupidly by essentially calling other people names, I tend to call them out on it.

I've been involved with debating criminal sentences for a long time, and the main thing I've observed is that if you ask 10 people what would be a fair sentence for any crime that isn't intentional murder, you will get 10 different answers.

And yes, you can always pick out a case or two where we'll disagree with the sentence and use that to prove the system under-penalizes, but the U.S. uses incarceration far more than any comparable country, and we have higher violent crime rates and homicides than any comparable country.

This is definitely going off into P&R territory when you start bringing in stuff like the death penalty, BTW.
Old 06-10-21, 07:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
I know this is a foreign thought process to many, but it's expected you keep it civil and on point, even in A&S.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 06-10-21, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And BTW, that driver was sentenced to a minimum of 16 years in prison, not 10.

If you don't like that, your beef is with the prosecutor who agreed to the plea bargain. A life sentence was definitely on the table under existing laws.
Likes For livedarklions: