Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jewett, OH (Conotton Creek Trl) to Colliers, WV (Panhandle Trl)?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 01:02 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the route on the W side of Pittsburgh, PA on the Panhandle Trail? I'm looking at trying to link to a route in Ohio that looks like I can get to Jewett, OH on the Conotton Creek Trail. It looks like that road section from Jewett to the Panhandle Trail is ~32mi and ~1700ft elevation - yikes. Mileage isn't bad, but the elevation is a big challenge.
Old 08-30-21, 12:25 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I do have a route through there but I have a big fat mid drive e bike and am more concerned with traffic than elevation changes. I doubt there is a really good low climbing route through there and the shoulders are about non existent. 22 is a divided highway and legal to ride on but 70 mph speed limit. 22 Has a shoulder but not super wide.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-01-21, 03:33 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I rode it east to west earlier this summer and bicycles are not allowed on 22. Here is a sign from Google Maps.

While the route is hilly, it’s not bad except the section in Steubenville. And getting from Steubenville to the Panhandle Trail is the biggest challenge. Here’s the route I took, which you would follow in reverse: Panhandle Trail to 8 to Archer Hill Road, then 2 and across the Market Street Bridge. Some of the hills are 20%. In retrospect, I would have tried 22 and 2 from the end of the Panhandle Trail and avoided the hilly ride over the heights. Not sure if it is legal or safe, but it would be much easier. I would definitely avoid Veterans Memorial Bridge (Hwy 22), as there is no shoulder, and instead cross the Ohio River on Market St Bridge.

Last edited by alan s; 09-01-21 at 04:03 AM.
Likes For alan s:
Old 09-01-21, 03:41 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
From Steubenville to Jewett, I followed 43 to Cadiz Road, then 22A to Hopedale, then 178 to 151 to Jewett. There is a small section of bike trail from the intersection of 22A and 65 that parallels 22 and gets you to E Main St in Hopedale. Other than 43 in Steubenville, it was a really nice ride.
Likes For alan s:
Old 09-01-21, 06:07 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Parts of 22 are divided highway and bike legal. I know the bridge over the Ohio is not. legal.
I have not ridden 22
Likes For KPREN: