Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are they fooling us?! a rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 08:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
28 spoke, 36 spoke, 32 spoke.... Where will the market settle & just pick a number for spokes!?
Old 11-17-21, 08:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
28 spoke, 36 spoke, 32 spoke.... Where will the market settle & just pick a number for spokes!?
Have you heard of Big Spoke?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-17-21, 09:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

The industry needs a spokesman.

I think people would be interested in bespoke spokes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-17-21, 11:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I wish Big Bike had given us more spokes as they did with gears.

I would loves me a 48 spoke wheel.
Old 11-17-21, 11:49 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Pretty simple, buy what you want, ride what you want. No one is forcing you to do anything!
Thanks to the Internet, you can pretty much replace, or buy parts to repair pretty much anything, even the new stuff, someone has it somewhere.
The new stuff just requires a bit deeper pockets, which is all this rant really boils down to anyway.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 11-17-21 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-18-21, 04:54 AM
Zas

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
No.

John
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yes, you are wrong. Just because you prefer to ride old 80s and 90s tech to save money, doesn't make newer tech any less desirable to those who appreciate it. The stuff you are riding was once marketed in exactly the same way as the modern gear too. They still wanted to sell new bikes in the 80s unless I'm very much mistaken.
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Pretty simple, buy what you want, ride what you want. No one is forcing you to do anything!
Thanks to the Internet, you can pretty much replace, or buy parts to repair pretty much anything, even the new stuff, someone has it somewhere.
The new stuff just requires a bit deeper pockets, which is all this rant really boils down to anyway.
Tim
Wow, I had to go offline after my original post, now suddenly we are on page 5. Sorry for not responding. I admit my rant was made tongue in cheek to generate a response.

But I think some people missed my point entirely. I agree, we are not forced to do anything. All I´m saying the industry is pushing unnecessary marginal gains to get more profit. Of course, if you have deep pockets, you are not seeing the problem.
Old 11-18-21, 05:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
If the bike manufacturers don't get profit they will cease to exist.

Old 11-18-21, 05:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

I would loves me a 48 spoke wheel.
I ended up with one for my old touring bike. It’s still down in my basement. Mavic T-19 or something like that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-18-21, 05:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by cb400bill
If the bike manufacturers don't get profit they will cease to exist.

Apparently, that and that marketers sell stuff for money aren't obvious to OP. My main bikes are old, but I'm pretty sure that the major manufacturers wouldn't keep making parts for them if their supply chain overhead wasn't being paid for by the higher profit new stuff.
Old 11-18-21, 05:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4398 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

Us people that you call curmudgeons, have had a life time of experience, and have sorted out logical from what high pressure sales types tell us we should buy.
Life must be bliss for you guys.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-18-21, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Zas
Wow, I had to go offline after my original post, now suddenly we are on page 5. Sorry for not responding. I admit my rant was made tongue in cheek to generate a response.

But I think some people missed my point entirely. I agree, we are not forced to do anything. All I´m saying the industry is pushing unnecessary marginal gains to get more profit. Of course, if you have deep pockets, you are not seeing the problem.

I don't think you have made it at all clear what the problem is for people without deep pockets. Right now everything is in shortage, but typically, there's plenty of decent new bikes available without all the doodads.

How do you determine what is or isn't an unnecessary marginal gain?

Also, like I said above, I think people like you and me who prefer older bikes are actually benefiting from the supply chain for bike parts that is made possible by there being some very high profit parts.
Old 11-18-21, 05:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Zas
... I admit my rant was made tongue in cheek to generate a response...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-18-21, 06:10 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Compared to 80ties bikes, there's nothing marginal about the benefits of a modern bike.
​​​​​​
I rode a rim brake bike today for the first time (discounting the few short rides on loaned bikes years ago). It didn't help it was a TT bike with TT tires and it was wet, but braking compared to my road bike (which, with mechanical discs, isn't the latest and greatest, itself) was almost shockingly bad on the first serious downhill. By the end of the ride I got used to it, but, really... to a rider who isn't used to old bikes and came from riding a MTB or something, if you want to sell them a road bike it has to be something with modern components.

Downtube shifters and old time road bike gearing... frankly, I can't imagine it and I don't care to try. There are plenty of climbs where I live and where I have travelled with the bike which lead to interesting places with sections of 15-20% - with a modern road bike that's, well, suffering, to be honest, it's always going to be suffering, but manageable to do for a normal person. Wide range gearing which works at a click of a button or a flick of the lever makes it a whole lot more accessible for a normal person.

Having started on relatively modern back the old bikes seem like interesting curios of a bygone time, but there's no chance I'd actually buy one, and they’re in no way nearly as good as the modern stuff. It's like comparing a modern car to something with something ancient with carburettors where you had to wrench on the car for it to work instead of the modern "pour gas in, turn key, take it to an annual service".

Nostalgia is nice and all, but there's nothing marginal about the improvements in the last forty years.
Old 11-18-21, 06:23 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Zas

If you buy a new bike, say once a decade, you will likely notice that the new bike is a significant improvement through an accumulation of many marginal gains. I've experienced that effect for myself several times with both road and mountain bikes. Lower tier group components also benefit from trickle-down tech from the highest level. So pretty much everyone, except those who think like you and rydabent, is a winner. Even for you guys, much of the old gear is still well supported.
Old 11-18-21, 06:30 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Branko D
Compared to 80ties bikes, there's nothing marginal about the benefits of a modern bike.
​​​​​​
I rode a rim brake bike today for the first time (discounting the few short rides on loaned bikes years ago). It didn't help it was a TT bike with TT tires and it was wet, but braking compared to my road bike (which, with mechanical discs, isn't the latest and greatest, itself) was almost shockingly bad on the first serious downhill. By the end of the ride I got used to it, but, really... to a rider who isn't used to old bikes and came from riding a MTB or something, if you want to sell them a road bike it has to be something with modern components.

Downtube shifters and old time road bike gearing... frankly, I can't imagine it and I don't care to try. There are plenty of climbs where I live and where I have travelled with the bike which lead to interesting places with sections of 15-20% - with a modern road bike that's, well, suffering, to be honest, it's always going to be suffering, but manageable to do for a normal person. Wide range gearing which works at a click of a button or a flick of the lever makes it a whole lot more accessible for a normal person.

Having started on relatively modern back the old bikes seem like interesting curios of a bygone time, but there's no chance I'd actually buy one, and they’re in no way nearly as good as the modern stuff. It's like comparing a modern car to something with something ancient with carburettors where you had to wrench on the car for it to work instead of the modern "pour gas in, turn key, take it to an annual service".

Nostalgia is nice and all, but there's nothing marginal about the improvements in the last forty years.
Aged 53 I'm old enough to have experienced most of the changes in bike tech over the past 4 or 5 decades and your assessment is pretty spot on. Modern bikes are the best bikes, which is not that surprising if you come from an engineering background. Old bikes are like old cars or anything vintage. They have their own nostalgic charm and appeal, but it certainly isn't based on superiority of design or function.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-18-21, 06:44 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
70 and 80’s stuff. Wish I had a couple of bikes from the 1880’s just to have.

or 1860

but need some gears

enjoy

Last edited by biker128pedal; 11-18-21 at 06:53 AM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 11-18-21, 07:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Companies exist to maximize the returns to shareholders. The marketing executives in charge of their respective marketing, product promotion, and product development departments do their calculated very best in trying to give the people what they want. Time marches on. It is exceedingly rare that ever at any time that there is a fad that causes technology to go backwards. The current fad where young people have embraced vinyl records for whatever nostalgic or idiotic reason and thus after vinyl record production had been dead from 1989 to around 2017, there are companies giving these young folks what they want, even if it is more noise & distortion and reduced signal to noise ratio and a continued sound degradation with each subsequent playing of the record, compared with the compact disc.

Yes, it happens every year that some companies make mis-steps in marketing stategy. No one has a crystal ball and no one can sustain a perfect batting average.
Market forces are brutal if said company or companies miss the mark for too long and find themselves behind the 8 ball. SCHWINN, HUFFY, COLUMBIA, ROSS, MURRAY, etc... did not survive to see the 21st Century because they could not forsee the problems that they would encounter without swift changes in reducing manufacturing costs(going overseas quickly enough, where labor is low) and products & product marketing. The American companies that did survive from the late seventies were very tiny and thus nimble enough to make strategic decisions swiftly and continue in the black and gain in market share.
Huffy, Schwinn, Murray, Columbia and Ross were huge players in comparison to those then very young and tiny American companies that did survive. Yes, you can definitely say that that those then tiny, and very young American bike companies in retrospect certainly taught the old longtime American behemoths a lesson that they ultimately did not pay enough attention to before it was too late.
You are not likely to see somebody like Shimano get complaceant and just rest on its past and simply just churn out XX-equipment no matter how great it is & was when it was newly introduced. They view things with the engineering vision that it is always possible to revise, refine, and completely innovate with new and possibly better solutions when the engineers find new ways to use new & existing materials in better ways. Most leading companies try to stay focused in both innovation and product quality to retain the world's top spot, or to become the world leader in their field. I doubt that any large successful manufacturing company sets out to just be half-ass mediocre, but the Detroit automakers come to mind, particulary GM, where it seems for years they seemed to irrationally believe that they made better products than the Japanese, German, and Asian automakers. They would have ceased to exist if not for the taxpayer bailout some twelve years ago. They have worked hard to shed the Garbage Motors image and are no longer producing absolute junk as they once were. Who knows where the electric push will lead them but historically GM has done horribly with all of their cutting-edge innovational products of the since 1959 but todays GM is not your fathers' GM, as they are building decent quality products today and their engineering is much improved. Still, you've got to give the people what they want, and you have to be both accepted and perceived by the buying public as worthy in relation to the current competition. They aren't likely there in being accepted and perceived as being on par with the Asian and Japanese nameplates. It is very difficult to fool the consumer public when it is such a significant purchase decision (price, average annual cost, frequency of repairs, etc....total cost..).
Bicycles are a little different than when one approaches a new car buying decision. One can find simple, basic bikes, and even the worst of those new basic bikes are worth the dollars spent to the person simply seeking the most basic new bicycle. This does not mean that a large segment of more serious cyclists would ever be satisfied with such a basic low dollar bicycle. The best and most profitable companies are gonna be on top of trends and they are certainly gonna follow the money..
You typically have much higher margins on higher-line items and models. Certainly, this is ultimately dependant on at least meeting the projected sales expectations of those higher-line items and models. Whatever, .... the companies must be good at what they do in order to deliver a decent return to shareholders and remain a solid ongoing concern. There are multiple ways of doing that too. I don't pretend to know a fraction of the many challenges that the executives and marketing heads of the various bicycle manufacturers and parts-component manufacturers face every single quarter. It does appear that those that take the basic low end, big box channel route can do well too, if they know what they are doing, e.g. KENT International, and others. Huffy, Schwinn, Murray and others were slaughtered because they had significant investment in American plants, and American labor costs and didn't forsee the lower cost foreign mfg competion and the pressure exerted from major big box stores like Walmart to provide said bicycle for xx-amount per unit cost or fuggetta-bout it. They then rallied their only hopes on seeking tariff protection for US Bicycle makers as had once been done in the 1950's & 1960's. It was bye bye to all the American bicycle makers that were in the bike racks at the elementary and junior high schools for anyone born in the years between 1935 and 1965. Should we shed a tear, absolutely not, as you either do it better, perceived as being better and worthy of a price premium, or you do it at least as good, for the same approximate price point, as your basic competition peers that are produced wherever. The people ultimately have the final say with what they open their wallets to. Certainly marketing does matter somewhat and the very successful firms ultimately do give the people what they want at that particular snapshot in the era of time.
Yep, I sometimes regret giving away hundreds of records before our last move. If I'd held on and sold them now, could have bought a new chain, maybe even a cassette!!
Old 11-18-21, 07:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Not so. I went along with more gears until they got to 24 or 27. That number was logical and could let a cyclist go most anywhere.
First off ... why is 27 "logical" but say, 33 would be "illogical"? Wouldn't the logic that explained why 24 or 27 were "logical" apply equally to 33? More closely spaced gears for a fine-tuned cadence along with a greater range of gears overall, and less need to shift between rings ..... same logic that led us from one to three to ten to here ......
After that the ever increasing number of gears were hype and over kill.
Along with "Logic," there is "fact." Please post an advertisement or link to a manufacturer's website where they are selling 33-speed bikes, or more if you can .... waiting .... on those facts .....
Now they are back to 12 with a huge heavy cassette, that is not logical at all.
Logic is not defined by "What Rydabent is willing to accept." First it is too many gears (27 is okay, 28 is Blasphemy!!!111!!) Now it is fewer gears---Blashphemy!!11!! In fact the logic of 1x12 has been explained to you repeatedly, but you are not able--or perhaps not willing--- to grasp it.
Wasnt it in the late 70s when we got 12 speeds. Now the MFG would have us believe what was old is new all over again.
This you straight-up lying and hoping no one will call you out.

I will. You Are Lying.

No one is saying that "what was old is new all over again." 1x12 is indeed new .... and in no way related to 2x6 (which in fact rarely gave even 8 distinct ratios, whereas 1x12 gives Twelve distinct and useful ratios ... for people who ride on terrain suited to 1x12---which you don't which makes you an ignorant liar. On top of that, you have sufficient experience to understand all this---If You Chose To. That makes you a willfully ignorant liar. Have you considered a career in politics?)

What about all the the real cyclist that said every shift should only be a few gear inches to be efficient.
Another dishonest question. You absolutely understand that the people using close gearing and the people using 1x12 have different needs and desires, but if you were a decent enough human to admit the truth, you wouldn't be able to whine all day on BF, so you lie to all of us and act a fool.

Us people that you call curmudgeons, have had a life time of experience, and have sorted out logical from what high pressure sales types tell us we should buy.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How much of your lifetime of experience includes riding 1x12 on gravel or MTB, which is where it's most prevalent?
Exactly this. You might have a lifetime of experience riding horses, but you cannot accept the horseless carriage. You have a lifetime of experience ... but you haven't, apparently, Learned anything from it.

I was going to say I get sick of defending you all the time .... when every time I do, you post some even more ridiculous crap .....

Now, though, I see you for the artist that you are. You have taken trolling to a new height, and new depth of subtlety. By playing the character "Rydabent" you can say the most ridiculous things, and get hours of laughter watching people take you seriously and try to debate you, when in fact you know better all along ... as a man with 85 years' experience surely does.

There is no way you could have lived as long as you have, and ridden for a long as you have, and still remain so completely ignorant of your own shortcomings and mental rigidities, and so ignorant of bicycle mechanics, as you pretend to be.

The only answer is that you are trolling us all.

Well played, sir. Well played.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-18-21, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Maelochs
First off ... why is 27 "logical" but say, 33 would be "illogical"? Wouldn't the logic that explained why 24 or 27 were "logical" apply equally to 33? More closely spaced gears for a fine-tuned cadence along with a greater range of gears overall, and less need to shift between rings ..... same logic that led us from one to three to ten to here ...... Along with "Logic," there is "fact." Please post an advertisement or link to a manufacturer's website where they are selling 33-speed bikes, or more if you can .... waiting .... on those facts ..... Logic is not defined by "What Rydabent is willing to accept." First it is too many gears (27 is okay, 28 is Blasphemy!!!111!!) Now it is fewer gears---Blashphemy!!11!! In fact the logic of 1x12 has been explained to you repeatedly, but you are not able--or perhaps not willing--- to grasp it. This you straight-up lying and hoping no one will call you out.

I will. You Are Lying.

No one is saying that "what was old is new all over again." 1x12 is indeed new .... and in no way related to 2x6 (which in fact rarely gave even 8 distinct ratios, whereas 1x12 gives Twelve distinct and useful ratios ... for people who ride on terrain suited to 1x12---which you don't which makes you an ignorant liar. On top of that, you have sufficient experience to understand all this---If You Chose To. That makes you a willfully ignorant liar. Have you considered a career in politics?)

Another dishonest question. You absolutely understand that the people using close gearing and the people using 1x12 have different needs and desires, but if you were a decent enough human to admit the truth, you wouldn't be able to whine all day on BF, so you lie to all of us and act a fool.

Exactly this. You might have a lifetime of experience riding horses, but you cannot accept the horseless carriage. You have a lifetime of experience ... but you haven't, apparently, Learned anything from it.

I was going to say I get sick of defending you all the time .... when every time I do, you post some even more ridiculous crap .....

Now, though, I see you for the artist that you are. You have taken trolling to a new height, and new depth of subtlety. By playing the character "Rydabent" you can say the most ridiculous things, and get hours of laughter watching people take you seriously and try to debate you, when in fact you know better all along ... as a man with 85 years' experience surely does.

There is no way you could have lived as long as you have, and ridden for a long as you have, and still remain so completely ignorant of your own shortcomings and mental rigidities, and so ignorant of bicycle mechanics, as you pretend to be.

Well played, sir. Well played.

Is he actually 39 and living in his mom's basement?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-18-21, 08:31 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the past is a wonderful memory. In the past I was strong, and fast, and women adored me.
The present is much less enjoyable in those ways, but it's still OK in a lot of ways.

It's mean of you to ridicule the small pleasure I might get from spending some time in the past.
And the women who are so fond of me in the past, when I imagine it, won't even give you the time of day.
Lighten up! I'm a boomer like you, but prefer to live and look forward although I smile when I look back.

And, I don't need or want the time of day from the women in your wake. The woman that has been in my life for a very long time is still very fond of me, and she is smokin hot!

Old 11-18-21, 08:33 AM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 64 Posts
Old 11-18-21, 08:39 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not buying another new bike until they deliver the CVT we have all been demanding.
Done! I guess their marketing isn't very good...
https://evelo.com/

I actually know a fellow who has one as a winter commuter.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 11-18-21, 08:50 AM
PeteHski

Or he's just totally oblivious to anything beyond what he perceived to be the "peak" of development in the 80s, 90s or whatever other arbitrary period. I have come across many real life "rydabents". They are not a rare breed. Maybe it's even human nature for some to just give up at some point and call it a day.
Old 11-18-21, 09:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Surely this can't be true! All the pics he's posted, riding his trike all about?
Old 11-18-21, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm holding out for the hoverbikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.