Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon Routes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Grand Canyon Routes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 07:43 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Grand Canyon Routes

In the planning of a cross country tour the Grand Canyon (GC) and Hoover Dam (HD) are on the list of sites to see. Looking at a map of the GC there are many, many roads available, however which ones are safest by bicycle? Hiway 15, 17, 40 and 70 are obviously major roads and not possible by bike, however there are many others that look like smaller routes that are possible. Anyone have direct experience passing "through" the GC by bicycle? How about the same for the HD? Will be going from east to west if it makes any difference.
Old 12-12-21, 02:26 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
highway 89a from the page, az/lake powell area west. to fredonia, az/kanab, ut area is fairly low traffic with good sight lines and scenic. roughly 120 miles. jacob lake is the only spot (at the 80 mile mark) with services along that stretch except at the towns at either end. from jacob lake, you can hit the kaibab plateau and the north rim of grand canyon national park. it’s approx 50 miles from jacob lake to road’s end (one way) along az hwy 67 and it is spectacular. much of az hwy 67 is closed from november to may since most of it is above 7,000 feet and snowbound winter and spring.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-12-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 03:28 PM
TiHabanero

Great info, and enough to get me started for sure. Thank you.
Old 12-12-21, 08:09 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Actually you can ride I-40 and I-17 in Northern AZ. I've ridden 40 from Ash Fork to Flagstaff, and 17 from Flagstaff to Cordes Jct. Like all interstates, they suck the soul out of you, but they're rideable and safe.

I "commute" by car between AZ and CO every year and see quite a few cyclists in northern AZ, on 89 and 160. Be aware that there's no dispersed camping allowed on Navajo tribal lands. I've also seen cyclists on Hwy 64 heading to the South Rim, including a touring unicyclist with panniers.
Old 12-12-21, 09:31 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I agree on 89a. If you do take it, be absolutely sure to explore some of the dirt/4x4 roads off it that head south right to the rim of Marble Canyon and some jaw-dropping campsites.
Likes For Jonathan Hanson:
Old 12-13-21, 06:44 AM
TiHabanero

Thank you both for the additional information. On a map I40 is a major road and I suspect lots of traffic. Must have a wide shoulder to be considered safe. Will consider it an option to get to the general destination area as it may be one of few options available. I especially appreciate the tip on Indian land camping. Didn't really think about it,but will now have to consider it in planning routes.
Old 12-15-21, 10:25 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I-40 is definitely a major freeway with lots of traffic. If you do have to take it west, consider the Route 66 loop above it from Seligman. Slightly longer but much more scenic and relaxed.
Old 12-16-21, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
On a map I40 is a major road and I suspect lots of traffic. Must have a wide shoulder to be considered safe.
Interstates typically have shoulders at least wide enough to accommodate semis. I've ridden on several Interstates out west and never felt like I needed more shoulder. Less traffic some of the time. But not more shoulder.
Old 12-16-21, 11:02 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
oooga-booga's suggested routing to the North Rim is good. We rode that direction in 2019. The south rim has more traffic/tourists/development.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/illprepared/ -- here is a link to my journal, including an overview map.

It was a good trip, I would recommend it. Be well prepared with water food. There are frequent long distances with no services. If you are hitting the area during the heat of the summer, be extra cautious and start your riding day early!
Old 12-19-21, 05:38 AM
TiHabanero

KellyI, thanks for the link to your journal. Like Jacinto, I, too am a lizard and love the heat. Have read up on why the south rim is so busy with people and traffic. The most scenic or most often featured views in movies and photos are from the south rim of the canyon. Looks like the north rim is for me. I have added some carrying capacity to the bike that allows me to carry a few days of water and food, thus hopefully I will be OK out there. Mapping my own X-country route has been challenging albeit rewarding.
Oddly enough I am looking at points of interest and working out backwards from them, not the other way around. Seems to work best this way.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-19-21, 01:31 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
south rim is closer to many of the larger cities in the western us and gets about 90% of the traffic. it’s justifiably gorgeous and has waay more support in the area. just something about the lesser trafficked north rim with the higher elevation, fewer people and meadows/forest blanketing both sides of az hwy 67 that stirs my soul more than the south rim drive. apples/oranges i suppose but you’re closer to zion np, bryce canyon np and some really worthy state parks in utah.
Old 12-19-21, 06:54 PM
Kelly I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Cross country route

I always enjoy looking at the details of customized routes. Would you mind sharing yours? Either here or on the guestbook comments in my journal!