Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Mavic Starfish 631/2 + Vintage Campy and Cinelli parts

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 01-02-22, 02:52 PM
OMEN!
Members Only

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn 974, All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've had a handful of older Campagnolo and Cinelli parts kicking around and I'd like to get an estimate on their value. I've previously tried to appraise these but it's difficult due to their varying conditions and missing parts. I've also had a hard time finding any info or value on the Mavic 631/2 - other than folks saying they are rarer than the 631. I was going to try and sell/trade them as a lot to a local shop that has many vintage parts - my thought is some of them may have value for their parts if not as an individual piece. With that in mind, for some of the larger and more complete items, I'm wondering if it would make more sense to sell them on my own instead of including them in the lot.

Thanks in advance!

Photos:
https://imgbox.com/g/qM4WiVfV2k

I've listed my best understanding of the parts below along with any issues.
  • Cinelli stem - 90mm, oval logo.
  • Cinelli stem - 95mm, text logo (not pictured).
    • I believe these are both 1A stems.
  • Mavic Starfish 631/2 crankset - 172.5mm length, no hardware.
  • Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur - newer compared to the others.
  • Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur - no wheels, Pat. 81.
  • Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear derailleur - Pat. 83.
  • Campagnolo Valentino Extra rear derailleur - no wheels, appears to be missing front plate and associated hardware.
  • Camagnolo front derailleur adjusters - 6 of them in varying conditions, 3 missing various hardware.
  • Camagnolo front derailleur - missing hardware.
  • Camagnolo front derailleur - 3 holes. All hardware appears to be present.
  • Camagnolo front derailleur - all hardware appears to be present.
  • Campagnolo front skewer.
Old 01-02-22, 08:20 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 382 Posts
Trade locally = heavy discount. Start with sold prices on eBay and cut in half or worse. Probably more like 75% less (in my market it would be worse than that). Better IMO to sell for cash, then use the cash to buy what you want.

Broken or incomplete parts are worth a lot less.

Much like trading in a car, the dealer gives you less $$, or adds it to the price you are paying for the other stuff.

I know the Campy and Cinelli parts sell every day on eBay. Just ignore asking prices. Lots of dreamers out there. Just look at sold and ignore NOS sold unless you happen to have NOS. Parts pricing on sold items are relatively consistent on eBay.

You never should expect eBay pricing locally. First on eBay you have all the fees. And you have to ship and pack. Buyers win almost every dispute. Itís a hassle. Want easy/peasy? Fine. Convenience comes at a much lower price.

Realize eBay gives you a global market. Some items I have sold on eBay I have gotten 10 to 20 times the price, sometimes even more than that. Really. Iíve even sold some stuff on eBay that I could not have sold locally at any price. Broken derailleurs would be an example.

Iíve been selling on eBay for 22 years. And I have been selling stuff locally for just as long.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-02-22 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-03-22, 05:52 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 303 Posts
It's quite hard to nail down a good valuation for the Mavic Starfish crankset. It's just one of those components that not everyone liked, because of its unconventional aesthetics that is an "acquired taste". So selling prices are all over the place if they even sell. I seem to always see a lot of Starfish cranksets sitting unsold for long periods of time at eBay. It also does not help when asking prices for a not so popular crankset always seem too high.
At least you have the second version that had the slimmer crank spider arms, but not many people even knew they exist, as they were pretty much totally turned off by the original version's looks and did not really bother to check the later, (Slightly?,) better looking version as a result.
I guess people just think of goofy Patrick Star too much when they hear about the Mavic starfish cranksef??

Last edited by Chombi1; 01-03-22 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-03-22, 05:58 PM
OMEN!
Members Only

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Schwinn 974, All-City Nature Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both for the quick and helpful replies - definitely gives me something to think about for next steps. Maybe I'll see what the shop offers (and is even interested in) and go from there. Thanks again!