Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do Boil in the Bag meals still exist?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do Boil in the Bag meals still exist?

Old 11-13-19, 04:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by schoolboy2
Ramen Bomb is a pkg of ramen plus a package of instant mashed potatoes plus some chopped up Spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2n5A5dKOeo
I'm not too crazy about Ramen noodles, but when I was taught to make them, back in the late '70s, we always added 2or3 eggs. You stir the eggs in, when the noodles are almost done, then boil it some more, till the eggs are cooked too. 🙂

I like the Spam idea too. 👍
Old 11-13-19, 06:44 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Ramen noodles with eggs and peanuts is really good. Add some soy sauce to give it life.
Old 11-14-19, 04:29 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by schoolboy2
Ramen Bomb is a pkg of ramen plus a package of instant mashed potatoes plus some chopped up Spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2n5A5dKOeo
Sounds pretty good to me.

BTW... The availability of spam in the single serving foil packs is a good thing for tourists IMO. While unappealing straight out of the can, it is a nice addition to other dishes, great fried with eggs, and yummy all alone when fried.
Old 11-14-19, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You can find foil packed chicken here in the US in several grocery stores. HelMart carries them and that may be your only choice in large swaths of the US.
The Targets around here have it. In fact, for my three-day back at the end of September I made a hasty run there and grabbed a few packs of what I thought was tuna. Grabbed chicken by mistake and didn't notice until I scooped it out into the pot and thought "That's some funny looking tuna."
Old 11-17-19, 09:25 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I generally tour in places with access to stores so I only carry food for a couple of days. My foundation is couscous, ramen, oatmeal, tea bags and honey. I can ride on that for a few days if necessary. I usually supplement that with cheese, flat bread, salami, trail mix, candy bars and plenty of fruit. I will often stop by a store before making camp and buy a tin of stew. In the morning it's tea and oatmeal with some trail mix mixed in and then I ride for a couple of hours until it's time for second breakfast at a diner.

Another thing I find convenient is to keep my food in a large freezer bag, 2.5 gallon works well, in my handlebar bag and food to be eaten on the bike in my jersey back pockets.

Last edited by nun; 11-17-19 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-18-19, 07:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Man, you got suggestions for just about everything but what you asked for. I will stick to the topic you asked for. The only modern equivalent of boil-in-bag I am aware of is the convenient and very inexpensive precooked uncle ben's rice packets, You can dunk the whole packet in boiling water for 5-7 minutes instead of putting them in a microwate and they are about a buck and a half for a four serving pouch. Cheap and lots of flavors including Jambalaya!
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 11-18-19, 08:19 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Foodies with a sous-vide machine could make meals for short tours. Sous-vide cooked meat is not quite sterile so I'd think the safest thing would be to make starch/veggie meals & at camp add the foil-pack or dehydrated protein of choice. Also, what about frozen dinners? If one has a wide enough camp skillet I'd think one could heat the whole thing up in a water bath.
Old 01-08-22, 08:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Thread closed.