Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

riding on windy days

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

riding on windy days

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 12:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
And again, out here in the middle of the country in the plains states, if we dont ride when it is windy, we wouldnt get much riding done at all.
Old 01-13-22, 03:02 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
I rode out to the beach from my house which is about a 17 mile ride due west. I got to the beach and it was absolutely summer like, low seventies at 9:00am and the ocean looked calm. We get Santa Ana winds this time of year around here which is offshore(coming from the east) and this had the feel of that kind of day. I stopped at my shop in Ventura to check the mail and maybe swap bikes. My wife called just as I was getting ready to leave and said she was coming to get me , "it is howling out here"! I told her I was going to give it a try and i would give her a cal if I needed to I locked my front door and went to leave the industrial complex and got hit by a strong gust, I called! It would've been brutal as these winds are caused by high pressure and usually very dry and gusty. I don't like headwinds anyway, I can tolerate a modest wind but this just didn't appear to be fun. Glad I bailed, save the wind burn and dry throat (water does little good) and sinus headache!
Old 01-14-22, 09:31 AM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
When it's that windy I go down to Corwin or Loveland, and ride the bike path depending on which way the wind is blowing (I like a tailwind on the return trip). You being from SW Ohio you'll know that section of bikeway is sheltered by trees for the most part.
Yep, I know about the 'Loveland bike trail'! But I dont like putting my bike in/out the car to go for a ride. I do it, but only if I have to.
Likes For epnnf:
Old 01-14-22, 05:25 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Rode one windy day here with 25-30 sustained with gusts up to 40. Going into it was dicey but manageable but decided to stay away from my gravel route due to large trees potential to lose branches. But with a tailwind I set a PR and a #1 for my age group on a mile and a half segment, so it wasn’t all bad.

Same here rsbob. One of my favorite rides is the Silverado Trail by St. Helena CA. Beautiful road with about an 8 foot paved shoulder. Great scenery going by the Napa Valley wineries. Usually there is moderate northward wind in the first half of the day and changes to south wind in the afternoon. This day I rode northward in the morning and returned southward after lunch. All fine and dandy but the wind really picked up to about 25 mph. This was a tail wind and I broke my record on the return trip. Kept it in highest gear and was able to coast most of the way :-)
Likes For frogman:
Old 01-14-22, 08:56 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
Cold air is more dense making winter winds even worse.

Old 01-14-22, 09:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
There are places that can change wind direction depending on what direction you are ridding.

For example, the Galveston Sea Wall Ride. No matter what direction you ride it in the wind will always be in your face... Ha
Old 01-15-22, 09:29 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I grew up in Wyoming and went to school for my first degree there. So much howling wind. To the point that if I was unwilling to venture into the wind, I wouldn’t have been able to ride.

I pushed hard as young people do, unsurprisingly, it made me a pretty good time trialer. I sure loved the other direction, covering flat ground at 35 mph without too much effort.

I’ve had a few wrecks in the wind but never fast, more like dead slow and a gust took me into the shoulder.

Thrice, while at speed in windy conditions, I developed a speed wobble. On a bike (each time a different one) that never got the wobble before or after. Each time I got my speed under control and didn’t wreck.

I really enjoyed a descent of the Snowy Range, hit 58mph and kept it at 40 or better until almost Laramie. That was epic.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-15-22, 11:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On a more logical note, I check he wind direction, and plan a route that is pretty much cross wind as possible.
Old 01-15-22, 02:06 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
The worst I've ridden in was a winter storm here with winds gusting over 100kmh. I rode the fat bike down to the country store we used to have for milk... 5km trip (2.5km each way) was more than an hour.

I've walked there and back faster than that ride.

Worst wind I've commuted in (16km commute) was gusting to 70+ km/h. the 100+ was harder but MUCH shorter and the bonus was that I wasn't getting blown out of my lane with on-coming traffic like the commute.

So far I haven't found a limit for wind. lol
Old 01-15-22, 02:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
On a more logical note, I check he wind direction, and plan a route that is pretty much cross wind as possible.
Bad idea. If you plan around the wind, you’re guaranteed to get a headwind in all directions. I just observe the rules, I don’t make them.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 01-18-22, 08:31 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
For me, like many others, wind is a demoralizing fun suck and weather app info definitely impacts on if I ride or not. I usually ride from home and my routes are either of the out and back type or large circular loops. I try to start with a headwind in hopes of finishing with a tailwind but we’ve all seen how that can go. I don’t have absolute limits as far as when I will or will not ride but sustained winds of 15 mph and or gusting above 20 will have me thinking about bailing. I completely understand the value of wind RE: training BUT since I’m approaching the midpoint of my 7th decade of life, I ride for enjoyment! Any additional benefits of cycling are a bonus.
Old 01-18-22, 08:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In the winter, I always start the ride direction into the wind making the return assuredly warm and easy whereas the opposite is a recipe for hypothermia
Old 01-19-22, 02:20 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When the wind speed if more than 10 mph I wait for another day. If I am pedaling along at 18 mph and have a 10 mph head or crosswind then I am having to put out nearly 4x as much effort. And a cross wind exerts two-thirds the vector force of a headwind. The winds are strongest in the afternoons so I start my rides early in the morning.

I have also sections of road that I know will have strong winds coming off the ocean and this is great when heading out but no fun coming back into the wind. I should probably drive into the valley and have the wind at my back on the return leg. Most areas have winds from the northwest so a little route planning goes a long way.
Old 01-20-22, 07:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
For Garmin riders: I love the WindField app for my Edge 1030. I get real-time wind speed and direction on my Edge on the same page as speed, heart rate, etc.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/a...9-e365bc849840

This is the example from their app page, I use a smaller data field and only have wind speed and the direction arrow.
Old 01-20-22, 08:06 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 1,574 Times in 731 Posts
Riding the shoreline,
The wind changes direction
When I turn around.
Likes For BTinNYC: