Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A couple of Peugeot U08 questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 05:26 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Hello everyone,

My apologies if these are over-asked questions on here. I'm finally getting a chance to work on the old Peugeot I picked up a couple of years ago. I had the bike shop remove the old cottered crankset because I didn't have the right tools to remove it without the possibility of causing damage to something else. I plan to take out the neglected bottom bracket parts and replace them with a cartridge and a Stronglight cotter less crank. Now, if I bought this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175088430217 , what size would I need to order this: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...e-alloy-cups-1

Also, the bike currently has a set of Japanese-made steel rims on it. I want to keep the original freewheel, so what should I look for in the realm of alloy rims? The bike has its original MAFAC Racer brakes, if that makes a difference.

Thank you,
-William
Old 01-02-22, 05:30 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Square taper cranks are pretty universal. If it's has French threaded on the bottom bracket description then it will probably work as French bikes have a unique thread.
Old 01-02-22, 05:31 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Also keep in mind that you need a longer spindle in order to run those vintage cranks. It looks like the one that is up there has a short spindle which is used with modern cranks.
Old 01-02-22, 05:33 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
So, I was lucky with mine and had some alloy wheels off an old Fuji I used on mine. Those steel rims with the Mafac brakes are just scary.

Check out Velomine for some nice cheap alloy rims that can use a freewheel. Just not sure if the threading is the same off the top of my head.

Wheels like this:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...ath=87_172_176
Old 01-02-22, 10:42 PM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by jamesdak
So, I was lucky with mine and had some alloy wheels off an old Fuji I used on mine. Those steel rims with the Mafac brakes are just scary.

Check out Velomine for some nice cheap alloy rims that can use a freewheel. Just not sure if the threading is the same off the top of my head.

Wheels like this:

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...ath=87_172_176
Maybe something more like these: https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=2529

Assuming they'll accept a French thread freewheel. Might be worth asking about. It's kind of funny to think that I only paid $40 for the bike.
Old 01-02-22, 10:50 PM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by grant40
Also keep in mind that you need a longer spindle in order to run those vintage cranks. It looks like the one that is up there has a short spindle which is used with modern cranks.
That sealed bottom bracket comes in different spindle lengths from ranging from 103mm to 122mm. The question I was trying to ask was if that crankset is a 170mm, does that mean it requires a 170mm spindle? Or is 170mm the length of one of the crank arms from the center of the hole out to the center of the pedal hole. If it's the former, the Velo Orange French thread BB isn't going to work, so I would likely need to seek out a different crankset.

I hate to ask what may seem like odd questions, but I'm kind of new to dealing with upgrading a French bike. My other French bike is a Gitane TdF that I bought from its original owner. It was well cared for, so all I've had to do was basic maintenance on it. This poor Peugeot was quite neglected, and I'm trying to make it better than new.

Last edited by WilliamK1974; 01-02-22 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 11:11 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
UO-8's are great bikes WilliamK1974 and I would also be tempted to upgrade the crank to a more serviceable square taper crank, in fact I did that with an Astra (French) bike that I had. However, if the crank is good, perhaps you might consider greasing the bottom bracket and putting it back together. Then spend your time and money on wheels, which will be worth spending money on.

You could stick with the original freewheel. You can rebuild it or send if off to the Freewheel Spa if you want an expert to recondition it. The Freewheel Spa

How about a picture, when you get a chance. We don't get tired of seeing UO-8's.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-02-22, 11:16 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
170mm is likely the length of the crank arms. The length of the spindle I hear is dependent on the crankset. Sorry I don't know what is required for that particular one you have linked though.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 01-02-22, 11:21 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by WilliamK1974
That sealed bottom bracket comes in different spindle lengths from ranging from 103mm to 122mm. The question I was trying to ask was if that crankset is a 170mm, does that mean it requires a 170mm spindle? Or is 170mm the length of one of the crank arms from the center of the hole out to the center of the pedal hole. If it's the former, the Velo Orange French thread BB isn't going to work, so I would likely need to seek out a different crankset.
170mm is the length of the crankarm. I am not familiar with the UO8, but would guess it takes a 118mm BB spindle. Do you have a BB shell width?
Old 01-03-22, 11:40 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
If your bike has the original Normandy hubs then your freewheel will most likely have French threads and you will need to find a rear wheel with a hub that also has French threads. You mention that the steel rims are Japanese, so perhaps you have replacement wheels, in which case your freewheel may have English threads. Best to post a photo of the freewheel and the rear hub so that we can see what you have, or you can remove the freewheel and measure the threads.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-03-22, 12:00 PM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
If memory and a quick google serve, to reuse the Peugeot cottered crank cups for a Stronglight cotterless crankset, you need a 122mm long spindle and the spindle must be stamped with a "5" . It is possible a stronglight or other French spindle might not have the "5". It took me a while going through the boxes at the co-op to find one that would work. There was a cheap french threaded cup and cone bottom bracket labeled "action" being sold, but it seems to have disappeared.
Likes For pfaustus:
Old 01-03-22, 04:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by pfaustus
If memory and a quick google serve, to reuse the Peugeot cottered crank cups for a Stronglight cotterless crankset, you need a 122mm long spindle and the spindle must be stamped with a "5" . It is possible a stronglight or other French spindle might not have the "5". It took me a while going through the boxes at the co-op to find one that would work. There was a cheap french threaded cup and cone bottom bracket labeled "action" being sold, but it seems to have disappeared.
True. I put a Sugino spindle in mine, but I needed a set of French-thread Sugino cups to accommodate it. It is an issue of cup wall thickness.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-04-22, 10:37 AM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by sincos
170mm is the length of the crankarm. I am not familiar with the UO8, but would guess it takes a 118mm BB spindle. Do you have a BB shell width?
The BB shell measured 70mm. The cottered spindle was 142mm from end to end.
Old 01-04-22, 11:18 AM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
How about a picture, when you get a chance. We don't get tired of seeing UO-8's.
Here's the original thread from when I first got the bike. It looks mostly the same except for new brake and shifter cables, and a Simplex RD.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ast-night.html
Old 01-04-22, 12:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
That bikes looks great @WilliamK1974 . Thanks for the link. Yellow was not a popular color so it stands out in two ways. Steel is real refers to the frame, although our 3 speed members may appreciate steel rims, I would use this opportunity to upgrade the wheels.

That yellow looks close to Rustolum Sunburst yellow. Or Testors hobby paint yellow. That is if you're inclined. It will still ride nice.

I am disappointed to hear that this Peugeot may displace your Schwinn. If that is the case, I believe that it will go on to someone that will apricate it.
Old 01-04-22, 12:24 PM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
That bikes looks great @WilliamK1974
I am disappointed to hear that this Peugeot may displace your Schwinn. If that is the case, I believe that it will go on to someone that will apricate it.
I sold the blue '73 Schwinn Continental sometime during 2021. It was in good shape and just needed some maintenance. I don't regret selling it as I bought it more out of curiosity than anything else. Once it was cleaned up and fixed up, it rode nicely enough. Last time I saw it, the buyer was using some of my photos to try and sell it for more than he paid for it from me. Not sure how that worked out for him, but I haven't seen the ad lately.
Old 01-16-22, 10:34 AM
WilliamK1974

If I don't care too much about originality but am more concerned about utility, could I put in a French-thread BB with the right spindle length and then put some kind of square taper triple chainring crank on it? With the hilly terrain around here, having some lower gears would make for a better ride. Downside would be finding a set like that which would be threaded for the bike's Lyotard pedals, but that's an acceptable trade-off. I'll save all of the old parts in case I ever sell the bike.
Old 01-16-22, 10:44 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
At a minimum, you could start by replacing just the front wheel with one that has an aluminum rim. That's where most of your effective braking is, and you don't have to find one with a rare axle spacing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-16-22 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-16-22, 11:13 AM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
If I don't care too much about originality but am more concerned about utility, could I put in a French-thread BB with the right spindle length and then put some kind of square taper triple chainring crank on it? With the hilly terrain around here, having some lower gears would make for a better ride. Downside would be finding a set like that which would be threaded for the bike's Lyotard pedals, but that's an acceptable trade-off. I'll save all of the old parts in case I ever sell the bike.
Yes. But, French threaded bottom brackets can be difficult to find. What I wrote before is how to convert the bottom bracket cups that came on the bike to square taper. Frankly, unless you already have a crank threaded for french thread pedals, pure utility demands tossing the ones that came on the bike.
Likes For pfaustus:
Old 01-16-22, 11:17 AM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
At a minimum, you could start by replacing just the front wheel with one that has an aluminum rim. That's where most of your effective braking is, and you don't have to find one with a rare axle spacing.
You're pretty adamant that I need to do the wheels before the crank, but I'm dealing with a very neglected, hard to turn, crunchy feeling BB. At least with its current wheels, it can be used even if they're not perfect, but without a functioning BB and crank, it's not going far except downhill.
Old 01-16-22, 11:31 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
You're pretty adamant that I need to do the wheels before the crank, but I'm dealing with a very neglected, hard to turn, crunchy feeling BB. At least with its current wheels, it can be used even if they're not perfect, but without a functioning BB and crank, it's not going far except downhill.
Oh, by all means, go ahead and fix the bottom bracket and crank.

All I was trying to say is that when it comes to the wheels, there are options besides waiting for a perfectly matched set that works with your Peugeot's rear spacing. For example, I relaced the front wheel on my old 3-speed to an aluminum rim (Sun CR18) and left the rear wheel completely stock with its steel rim. Stopping is improved so much that I may leave the bike like that indefinitely.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-16-22, 02:54 PM
WilliamK1974

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Oh, by all means, go ahead and fix the bottom bracket and crank.

All I was trying to say is that when it comes to the wheels, there are options besides waiting for a perfectly matched set that works with your Peugeot's rear spacing. For example, I relaced the front wheel on my old 3-speed to an aluminum rim (Sun CR18) and left the rear wheel completely stock with its steel rim. Stopping is improved so much that I may leave the bike like that indefinitely.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across touchy.
Likes For WilliamK1974:
Old 01-16-22, 02:58 PM
WilliamK1974

Yes. But, French threaded bottom brackets can be difficult to find. What I wrote before is how to convert the bottom bracket cups that came on the bike to square taper. Frankly, unless you already have a crank threaded for french thread pedals, pure utility demands tossing the ones that came on the bike.
Velo Orange sells a French thread cartridge BB. It's a spendy solution, but it would be one less thing to deal with for awhile. It's a matter of knowing what axle length to buy and which crankset to get. I like the look of the Lyotard pedals, but they were neglected, too, and their bearings would need some attention.

I wish someone on here would reply who has done something like this and could show me what they did. That would sure be easier than re-inventing the wheel, and I'm very much a "show me" kind of learner.

Thank you,
-Bill
Old 01-16-22, 03:04 PM
TPL

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Rims are NOT wheels

and

Wheels are NOT rims
Likes For TPL:
Old 01-16-22, 03:21 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
The spindle length is dependent on which crank you choose to use. The Stronglight 93 uses a 118 spindle with the French cups, as an example. I would think that combination is one of the more likely ones to be able to find. The price might make you swallow.
There are other options, of course, but the solution needs to be a configuration that support a good chain line while still fitting onto the frame. A spindle that is too short could cause the inner ring to rub on the chain stay. One that is too long may cause issues with shifting either in the back or with the front derailleur. There is some tolerance but not much more than a couple of mm.

Cups first to determine spindle bearing distance. Spindle length to accommodate the location of the chain set.
Sheldon Brown's Threaded Bicycle Bicycle Bottom Bracket Crib Sheet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.