Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gears, hills and things....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-20-22, 03:48 AM
PeterCNX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Any suggestions welcome, especially the ones that do not need to spend a fortune.

Where I live we have steep hills, people call them mountains. I call them annoying. The problem is it is difficult to go up. In places it is walk slow and push. So I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get some relief.

My bike is an 11-34 cassette (Claris RD 2400) and 50-34 chainrings (FD 3400).

Apparently the RD is to handle up to 11-32 but I have no problems with 11-34. The FD can handle up to a 53 tooth chainring but whether or not that is correct I know not.

Of course I have no idea. Should I install a larger cassette and get a new RD. Or should I focus on experimenting with the chainrings? Should I reach for 9-speed.

So I want to go up, a lot easier. To go faster would be nice but not essential.
Old 01-20-22, 05:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Your best bet is probably a gravel/mtb cassette and RD. 11-42 is a popular choice for a very low climbing gear on paved roads. I don't see much point in changing the front end. 50/34 is a pretty good combo for the mountains.
Old 01-20-22, 05:54 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
If I read your post correctly, your low gear is 34 x 34. On an unladened bike thats a pretty low gear. I don't know your age, fitness level or the climbs you're having difficulty with but there's probably more gains to be made thru fitness rather than additional low gearing. That said, depending on the bike, you may be able to install a 30/46 crank without a derailleur change.
Old 01-20-22, 07:37 AM
PeterCNX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Your best bet is probably a gravel/mtb cassette and RD. 11-42 is a popular choice for a very low climbing gear on paved roads. I don't see much point in changing the front end. 50/34 is a pretty good combo for the mountains.
Thank you for your clear suggestion, this is straight forward and should be something I can quickly try.
Likes For PeterCNX:
Old 01-20-22, 07:42 AM
PeterCNX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
If I read your post correctly, your low gear is 34 x 34. On an unladened bike thats a pretty low gear. I don't know your age, fitness level or the climbs you're having difficulty with but there's probably more gains to be made thru fitness rather than additional low gearing. That said, depending on the bike, you may be able to install a 30/46 crank without a derailleur change.
I am quite old but very fit. The climbs are tough, parts are hairpin bends where cars can only get round in first gear. The approach is very steep. But ... there are quite a lot of roads like this in the region and the highest peaks in the country are in the same area ....

I think I will try out a change of cassette first and then come back to your suggestion, thank you for that.
Likes For PeterCNX:
Old 01-20-22, 08:01 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by PeterCNX
I am quite old but very fit. The climbs are tough, parts are hairpin bends where cars can only get round in first gear. The approach is very steep. But ... there are quite a lot of roads like this in the region and the highest peaks in the country are in the same area ....

I think I will try out a change of cassette first and then come back to your suggestion, thank you for that.
No problem. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing where the grades are you're talking about. I'm 62 and apart from Mt Washington I can't think of anything that requires more than a 34 x 34 for me.
Old 01-20-22, 08:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
I’ve climbed a 37% grade with 34–32 gearing, and I’m no climber. So I tend to agree with this post.

Getting the 30–34 gear will probably cost a few hundred dollars, and it sounds like the OP is on a budget. But that would feel noticeably lower and easier on a steep climb.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-22, 08:31 AM
PeterCNX

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No problem. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing where the grades are you're talking about. I'm 62 and apart from Mt Washington I can't think of anything that requires more than a 34 x 34 for me.

I am your senior in age by quite a few years but even if I was 30 years younger these would still be tough......

You want to know the routes .... Google maps is your friend. Here are some examples to enter.......

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Khun Wang

Chiang Mai to Doi Inthanon peak

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Samoeng

Chiang Mai to Mae Rim to Samoeng to Chiang Mai (counter clockwise loop).

I think there is a youtube channel called DurianRider and he recorded some of the routes some years ago.... search for Inthanon and you will get an idea. Google maps should give you a clear feel.

Just saw this short clip from another person, I am not allowed to post the URL but if you search for Khun Wang, Chiang Mai you will find it .......9RX3ANol9xY A couple of shots show what I mean, GoPro makes this look easy but it is not.........
Old 01-20-22, 11:14 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Sounds like a job for an ebike petal assist
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 01-20-22, 11:34 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This has worked well on my CX bike for steep terrain. Available for various crank types.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12370651174...3ABFBMtqTYiM9f
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-20-22, 12:12 PM
nomadmax 

I am your senior in age by quite a few years but even if I was 30 years younger these would still be tough......

You want to know the routes .... Google maps is your friend. Here are some examples to enter.......

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Khun Wang

Chiang Mai to Mae Wang to Mae Win to Samoeng

Chiang Mai to Mae Rim to Samoeng to Chiang Mai (counter clockwise loop).

I think there is a youtube channel called DurianRider and he recorded some of the routes some years ago.... search for Inthanon and you will get an idea. Google maps should give you a clear feel.

Just saw this short clip from another person, I am not allowed to post the URL but if you search for Khun Wang, Chiang Mai you will find it .......9RX3ANol9xY A couple of shots show what I mean, GoPro makes this look easy but it is not.........
I'm not savy enough to make google maps show elevation and grade percentage. If I routinely rode where a 34x34 on road bike bike wouldn't get it done, I'd get an e-bike. If the budget didn't allow that, I'd get nice pair SPD cycling shoes/pedals and push the thing up the climb and ride down. If the climbs are as brutal as you're making them sound, there ain't a lick of difference between a 34x34 and 30x34 as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by nomadmax; 01-20-22 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 01:55 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
So I looked that up on Garmin Connect and found a couple public routes so people can see what you're talking about.

Here's one of them: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/84759943

7,729ft ascent over 29.84 miles. Looks like grade is largely 6-8% with some 10%+ bits.

As it appears to be a fairly popular route (based on the heatmap), have you considered waiting at the top sometime and speaking with bicyclists you see, asking about what their bicycle gearing is and how they like it?
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-20-22, 02:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
If the budget didn't allow that, I'd get nice pair SPD cycling shoes/pedals and push the thing up the climb and ride down. If the climbs are as brutal as you're making them sound, there ain't a lick of difference between a 34x34 and 30x34 as far as I'm concerned.
As long as riding is reasonably practicable - gearing adequate for the gradient and not too technical - pedaling is generally much easier than pushing.
Old 01-20-22, 02:20 PM
Bulette

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
A 1-to-1 ratio is a low gear for lots of terrain, but there's no shame in wanting even lower gears. Over in the touring forum, there is regular mention of using a 22-tooth front chainring with something like a 32 tooth cassette cog. Even a small change in cogs/chainrings is usually noticeable, and I never mind having a lower gear and not needing it.

Before making too big of a change, really spend some time thinking about your current gearing and what you'd like different. Changing the cassette and derailleur (or Roadlink/Goatlink) to accommodate a 42-tooth cog may work well, but would spread each cog further apart (i.e. bigger jumps in gearing). Changing the front crank to a compact double (46 and 30 chainrings) would keep shift spacing the same while lowering most of your gears fairly evenly. Each approach has its own possible issues...
Old 01-20-22, 04:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
A 1-to-1 ratio is a low gear for lots of terrain, but there's no shame in wanting even lower gears.
Absolutely agree! The lowest ratio on my road bike happens to be 1:1, but no way is it optimum for really steep sustained road climbs. Once the gradient goes north of 15%, my cadence is often dragged down into the 50s and a lower gear would therefore be more efficient. We have a lot of 20%+ climbs locally and guys without compact gearing struggle badly on those climbs unless they are elite level. 1:1 with decent fitness and W/kg gets you up them without walking, but you could go a LOT lower without any risk of spinning out. Road bike gearing is always a compromise between range and gear spacing, but there is nothing worse than running out of gears during sustained climbing.
Old 01-20-22, 07:59 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I agree that the best way to get lower gears is to decrease the size of your chainrings. Then your cogs will be closer together than if you increased the size of the cassette.

Of course the way to get fitter is to climb hard in whatever gear is necessary to allow that. If you're at your best long climb effort and your cadence is below about 78, IME you need lower gears. If you do get fitter and can climb faster, you might outgrow your cassette and want a smaller one, or just have an extra cog below what's necessary. That's my preference because things go wrong.

It's not that hard to figure what gearing you should have. Go to one of your challenging climbs with your current rig. Climb at what you think is your appropriate aerobic effort and note your speed. Enter a gear/cadence/speed calculator and and keeping in mind that speed and your desired cadence, play around with chainring and cog teeth. This is a simple one: https://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm I like a long climb cadence in the lower to mid-80s, but everyone's different.

At 75, my climbing gear became 26 X 30.
Old 01-20-22, 09:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
This has worked well on my CX bike for steep terrain. Available for various crank types.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12370651174...3ABFBMtqTYiM9f
I did not know they made a 30T in 110BCD, but that is indeed a great solution. It would likely fit on the OP's cranks and at worst you'd have to shorten the chain a couple links.
Old 01-21-22, 04:30 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://absoluteblack.cc/oval-road-c...-for-110-4bcd/
Old 01-26-22, 11:46 PM
hasto

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning & 2019 Cannondale Trail 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run a ultegra 52-36 with a 11-32

anyone have any experience with changing the small chain ring to a 34 with this setup? Yah or nah?
Old 01-27-22, 01:04 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by hasto
I run a ultegra 52-36 with a 11-32

anyone have any experience with changing the small chain ring to a 34 with this setup? Yah or nah?

You'll probably want to drop the 52 to a 50 to keep things shifting smoothly
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 01-27-22, 06:19 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Did you look at 22 x 30 x 40 crankset?
Old 01-27-22, 07:36 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I would probably swap out to a MTB cassette you should be able to get a 11-42 and use a wolf tooth road link.
Old 01-27-22, 10:15 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I think swapping out your 50/34 chainring with a 46/30 would be your best bet. This would reduce crank effort by about 12%. That's a big step. Which might make those annoying climbs no longer a problem, and allow you to power up most sections you now walk. It still allows you to cruise along at 40 kph at a comfortable 74 rpm cadence in high gear.

Considering some folks climb moderate hills regularly with a single speed bike requiring perhaps 2.5x the effort of what you have now in lowest gear, I agree a 1:1 ratio is fine for powering up some short rather steep hills, But lower is a definite advantage for longer ones, Especially after a long ride.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 01-28-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-02-22, 01:54 PM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
im a terrible climber lol. I just try to find flat routes. I live in the mountains also.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 02-03-22, 08:39 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A shimano grx 46/30 crank doesn't cost much more than absolute black chain rings. A 12% lower gear can't hurt, but it won't work miracles. Gaining strength or losing excess weight are the keys to successful climbing. After being off the bike for 8 years, it took me over 10,000 miles of riding to get my strength back.