Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enigma bikes: my tale of woe

Old 05-29-21, 07:24 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
It isn’t, but the only remedy you have is to then sue them. That will cost more time and money then it is worth. Companies know that and so there isn’t a legal motivation to honor their warranties.
That's why class action suits are a thing, innit?
Old 05-29-21, 09:40 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
That's why class action suits are a thing, innit?
But they really aren’t tho’, unless you are taking on a Goliath, and this company ain’t that.
Old 05-30-21, 07:46 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Read the terms of the lifetime warranty and sue them if necessary.
But if the lifetime warranty stated something like the seller would perform the warranty repair for free so long as the buyer pays for materials, then you probably don't have much of a case. It sounds like they already made that offer to you. (And I don't blame you for turning down that offer. I would too.)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-01-21, 01:23 AM
FrznTek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is handy some times. Here is the warranty page text as of the 23rd of February 2012 (with in a year of when the OP claims to have bought the bike.)

"Enigma is obsessed with the quality of our frames and we are committed to the satisfaction of our customers. Our extensive warranty is designed to reflect this commitment and explains your rights and privileges as an Enigma product owner.

PRODUCT WARRANTY
Enigma Titanium Ltd will at its sole discretion repair or replace any Enigma bicycle frame or component that fails due to manufacturing or material defects within the time periods detailed.

Any components not produced by Enigma or branded Enigma bear their own manufacturer’s warranty. Any claims on these components should be directed to said manufacturer’s service department.

Product finishes applied by Enigma (paint, decals, etc) carry a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship. Damage caused by normal use or handling (dents, scratches, abrasions) are not considered defects.

TIME PERIOD
Warranty coverage on Enigma titanium bicycle frames extends to the lifetime of the frame*, from the date of purchase for the original purchaser only. *Any carbon content of frames is limited to a 5 year warranty.

Warranty coverage on Enigma steel (excluding stainless steel) bicycle frames extends to 10 years, from the date of purchase, for the original purchaser only.

Warranty coverage on Enigma stainless steel bicycle frames extends to 5 years, from the date of purchase, for the original purchaser only.

Enigma branded components are covered by a 1 year warranty, from the date of purchase for the original purchaser only.

LIMITATIONS TO WARRANTY AND LIABILITY
Proof of purchase via Enigma Titanium Ltd or an Enigma approved dealer is required together with completion of the warranty registration card (within 30 days of purchase) to validate protection.

Carriage charges to or from Enigma will be the responsibility of the original purchaser.

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear and normal maintenance items. In addition the warranty does not cover any damage, failure, or loss caused by accident, improper use or assembly, neglect or improper maintenance.

There is no cash alternative to warranty repair / replacement.

The warranties detailed are in lieu of and exclude all other warranties not detailed herein, whether express or implied by operation of law or otherwise. This includes but is not limited to any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Enigma Titanium Ltd’s liability under this warranty is expressly limited to the replacement of the non-compliant Enigma products and under no circumstances will EnigmaTitanium Ltd be liable for incidental or consequential losses, damages or expenses (including but without limitation damage to property or other economic losses) whether under this warranty or in contract or negligence or otherwise.

Enigma products are NOT designed for extreme use i.e. stunt riding, jumping or similar activities. The warranty is void if damage occurs as a result of such use.

GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
This warranty shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes arising.

HOW TO PROCEED WITH A WARRANTY CLAIM
Contact your nearest Enigma authorised dealer or alternatively contact us directly at: Enigma Titanium Ltd, Unit 11, Westham Business Park, Eastbourne Road, Westham, East Sussex BN24 5NP, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 (0)1323 741807 with details of your claim.

Please remember that this warranty is personal to you and only applies to the original purchaser and cannot be assigned and that proof of purchase and completion of our warranty registration card is required"
Likes For FrznTek:
Old 06-01-21, 01:36 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
This bit seems a bit off...

The warranties detailed are in lieu of and exclude all other warranties not detailed herein, whether express or implied by operation of law or otherwise. This includes but is not limited to any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Pretty sure they can't substitute a warranty of their own for an expressed or implied warranty provided by law, unless it exceeds the law, in almost any jurisdiction.
Old 01-19-22, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
The issue was never resolved. The frame is now an expensive souvenir. It was the subject of a documentary (in German with English subtitles, if you know what I mean),

and is always a hit for show and tell. Call it an educational tool.

Enigma: your mileage may vary
Old 01-19-22, 09:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Still broken after all this time? Bummer, that's got to be eating on you. What did you get to replace it?
Old 01-19-22, 09:34 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
(Enigma) "We sell this frame with a lifetime warranty!"
(Owner) "My frame cracked."
(Enigma) "Well, that was the lifetime of the frame."

Enigma should change the company name to Enema.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-19-22, 12:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
This thread reminds me of the person who has been listing a broken frame on eBay continuously for many years, because the manufacturer didn't replace it under warranty. At some point, you just gotta move on with life ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-22, 01:24 PM

@shelbyfv It hasn't been replaced.
@Bald Paul I was thinking Edsel, but yours also works.
@tomato coupe This was a follow-up.
If my posting helps nudge them (and others watching) in the direction of improving their customer service, it will have served its purpose. You're welcome.

Last edited by 905; 01-19-22 at 01:32 PM.
Likes For 905:
Old 01-19-22, 01:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 905
This was a follow-up.
Just a follow up? It seems to be just a small part of your media-wide campaign. How much time have you spent on this?
Old 01-19-22, 02:10 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Riddle me this:

What will be the replacement? You have to move on sooner or later.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-19-22, 02:41 PM

@tomato coupe I don't understand. You want me to account for how I spend my time to a stranger? Can't help you there. Meanwhile, if you want to spend your time bumping the thread, be my guest.

@seypat, Not sure, still looking around. As for moving on, it's been all of 8 months. If I'm still rending my garment years from now, I promise I'll see someone.
Old 01-19-22, 02:44 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 905
I don't understand. You want me to account for how I spend my time to a stranger?
It's a rhetorical question.
Old 01-19-22, 02:59 PM

Rhetoric is the art of persuasion. You can't win 'em all.

I try to spend my time on things I think are worthwhile (though don't always succeed, as my Netflix history will show). Posting about this qualifies. I know that if I was in the market for a bike – what do you know, I am! – I'd want to read about people's experiences with companies when things go wrong.
Old 01-19-22, 03:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by 905
As for moving on, it's been all of 8 months. If I'm still rending my garment years from now, I promise I'll see someone.
Actually it has been 5 years since your original thread about this in 12/16. Time flies, right? Go ahead and get some help with this, life is short!
Old 01-19-22, 03:19 PM

That was the first crack, yes. There were two more to go.
Likes For 905:
Old 01-19-22, 04:06 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Just keep posting this ....maybe every day

Also, send copies of the link of all future posts directly to Enigma .... on a daily basis

I have a hunch they will contact you
Old 01-19-22, 04:18 PM

Not sure about your every day plan TPL, but I'm happy to reply where warranted, so I guess we'll see.
Old 01-19-22, 04:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
I'm not sure why people are suggesting you aren't letting go. As I read it, at the end of May it was still pending resolution, and then there's a gap of 7 1/2 months before you posted again that it never did get resolved and you'd moved on. That seems reasonable enough to me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-20-22, 05:29 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
While this story seems to go on forever, it does act as a reality check for those who believe the myth of "forever" bikes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-20-22, 06:19 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Ten years ain’t that long, though, considering some people, like many on this forum, have bikes far older’n that.

I still have a couple bikes I got from way back in high school, not even including the RB-1 I got as an eighth grade graduation gift.
And, sure, I’ve busted a couple bikes along the way but that enigma was a pretty high end bike. I’m not super-sure about this but I think that RB I’m talking about might’ve been 250 bucks or so, 300 tops. Not crazy expensive but still on the road. And maybe I could use a replacement fork to spiff it up but it still looks pretty good for what I’ve put her through.

I think OP’s got a legitimate grievance. Those guys at Enigma should have held up their end of the bargain.
Likes For Rage:
Old 01-20-22, 06:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by PeteHski
While this story seems to go on forever, it does act as a reality check for those who believe the myth of "forever" bikes.
That's a good point. I don't know why manufacturers even bother with advertising a "lifetime warranty." Does anyone really expect a bike to last forever? Would folks not buy a bike that had a three or five year warranty? I doubt many even consider the warranty as part of the initial purchase decision. We happily pay 10 or 20 times as much for an auto and most have three year warranties. IMO, bike companies would be smart to limit warranties to three to five years. It would be fair enough since manufacturing defects would show up in that length of time and it would lessen the chance of getting caught up in something like this.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-20-22, 06:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's a good point. I don't know why manufacturers even bother with advertising a "lifetime warranty." Does anyone really expect a bike to last forever? Would folks not buy a bike that had a three or five year warranty? I doubt many even consider the warranty as part of the initial purchase decision. We happily pay 10 or 20 times as much for an auto and most have three year warranties. IMO, bike companies would be smart to limit warranties to three to five years. It would be fair enough since manufacturing defects would show up in that length of time and it would lessen the chance of getting caught up in something like this.
I think a lot of companies get around "lifetime guarantees" by limiting them to the original owner. For a bike, if it's a high-dollar bike, the owner is likely to be well-heeled and will buy newer bikes and either sell the old one - voiding the warrantee - or ride it a lot less, extending the life of the product. Or they could go out of business, like some watch companies that sold watches with "lifetime guarantees".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-21-22, 08:52 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 231 Posts
I am sorry to read this because my LBS sells them and they look absolutely gorgeous. But I have friends who had ordered bikes only to wait a year for delivery.

FWIW, he was a Lynskey dealer...and I bought one....but conflicts with those folks caused him to switch to Enigma.What's with those Ti people?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.