Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Good news for bicyclists in North Dakota

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 10:02 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts

Three bills regarding bicycles have passed in the current legislative session:

1) HB 1148 : defining pedal assist "e-bikes" of 750 watts or less as bicycles.
2) HB 1252 : "STOP" means yield. ("Idaho stop")
3) HB 1290 : Minimum passing distance of 3 feet.

Seems to me that all three are good things. Also all three bills passed with large margins and bi-partisan support, which is also good news for bicyclists.
Old 04-27-21, 02:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR

Seems to me that all three are good things. Also all three bills passed with large margins and bi-partisan support, which is also good news for bicyclists.
That’s great.
I’m sure all 17 cyclists in the state of N Dak will be very excited.
Old 04-27-21, 03:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

#2 is good news. I wish that was universal.
I've lived in a couple states with #3, and most motorists don't even know about the law...Though I suppose it may help at the margin.

And don't pay any attention to that other poster; it's what he craves.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-27-21, 03:28 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

https://www.facebook.com/GreatRidesFargo/videos/2018-great-rides-100-person-ride/321981365029931/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
https://www.facebook.com/GreatRidesFargo/videos/2018-great-rides-100-person-ride/321981365029931/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

So, a total of 131 on the 100 person ride. Mmmmm. That means we have about 800% of the states cyclists on one ride!

Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 05-05-21, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
#2 is good news. I wish that was universal.
I've lived in a couple states with #3, and most motorists don't even know about the law...Though I suppose it may help at the margin.

And don't pay any attention to that other poster; it's what he craves.
Yeah. Several years ago the Sheriff of Montgomery County, a populous county that borders Philadelphia (where I live) and the base of a very large cycling club, learned that PA has a FOUR foot law even though it had been on the books for at least 5 years. He then started a campaign to educate people. He held several press conferences and had 300 lawn signs made up and placed along popular cycling routes.

And yeah. I have spent about 2 weeks cycling in ND during two visits. There are far more than 17 cyclists in the state. I am willing to bet the number is between 75 and 100. Seriously...Two of Adventure Cycling's routes have many miles in ND. IIRC, at least one crosses the entire state.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-05-21, 11:53 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Andy Hampsten grew up in Grand Forks ND, learned to battle the open prairie winds riding the county roads. Wind = a hill that never ends.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-05-21, 01:35 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/GreatRidesF...related_videos

So, a total of 131 on the 100 person ride. Mmmmm. That means we have about 800% of the states cyclists on one ride!

They bussed them in from Minnesota.
Old 05-05-21, 01:41 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Stop or Yield do not mean ignore.
Old 05-07-21, 08:02 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Andy Hampsten grew up in Grand Forks ND, learned to battle the open prairie winds riding the county roads. Wind = a hill that never ends.
I did not know that.

Lawrence Welk was from ND. I got a tour of his family’s homestead. It is preserved as a tourist attraction. A niece of his was the tour guide.

Yeah. The wind there can be killer. During my second trip there it took me and a friend an hour to go nine miles over gently rolling terrain riding road bikes and carrying no gear. When heading down in a tuck I could only get up to 12 mph. That stretch of the day was 18 miles directly into the wind. While hanging out at the next rest stop the SAG bus pulled up. It was full of riders who had pooped out.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-07-21 at 08:06 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-21, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Stop or Yield do not mean ignore.
Correct. But when I was last in ID riding (2019) I had to laugh at myself when I realized I was waiting at a traffic light when I didn’t have to. Had totally forgotten about the law there.
Old 05-07-21, 11:10 AM
DangerousDanR

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did not know that.

Lawrence Welk was from ND. I got a tour of his family’s homestead. It is preserved as a tourist attraction. A niece of his was the tour guide.

Yeah. The wind there can be killer. During my second trip there it took me and a friend an hour to go nine miles over gently rolling terrain riding road bikes and carrying no gear. When heading down in a tuck I could only get up to 12 mph. That stretch of the day was 18 miles directly into the wind. While hanging out at the next rest stop the SAG bus pulled up. It was full of riders who had pooped out.
ND is actually a very nice place if, and this is a big if, you can stand the winters. There is a delightful and vulgar YouTube video which starts "This is a weather alert for the state of North Dakota", and ends... Hey! No spoiler here. Look it up, but you have been warned that it is farm country humor.

No mountains, but the scenery can be majestic. I have not yet ridden the Madahey Trail https://mdhta.com/ but is on the list.

Unemployment is low. Thanks to the oil patch in the western part of the state taxes are low. Housing is fairly affordable. For a place that has horrible freeze thaw issues the roads are pretty good. Yes, the Adventure Cycling Association Northern Tier goes across ND. For the most part drivers are cautious and courteous.

But the wind! Second only to Scotland in my experience. Common to fight winds up to 40 MPH. On a blustery winter day my 2 mile commute could take half an hour if I was going straight into the wind.

The roads are often NS or EW, and the wind is often NW, NE, SW or SE, so it may never be your friend. I once plugged my weight, time, distance, climb (0), and the wind speed into a cycling wattage calculator and the numbers were astounding. And they were a pretty good match for what Wahoo said I burned in calories.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 05-07-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 01:34 PM
indyfabz

ND is actually a very nice place if, and this is a big if, you can stand the winters. There is a delightful and vulgar YouTube video which starts "This is a weather alert for the state of North Dakota", and ends... Hey! No spoiler here. Look it up, but you have been warned that it is farm country humor.

No mountains, but the scenery can be majestic. I have not yet ridden the Madahey Trail Maah Daah Hey Trail Association ? North Dakota's Best Kept Secret but is on the list.

Unemployment is low. Thanks to the oil patch in the western part of the state taxes are low. Housing is fairly affordable. For a place that has horrible freeze thaw issues the roads are pretty good. Yes, the Adventure Cycling Association Northern Tier goes across ND. For the most part drivers are cautious and courteous.

But the wind! Second only to Scotland in my experience. Common to fight winds up to 40 MPH. On a blustery winter day my 2 mile commute could take half an hour if I was going straight into the wind.

The roads are often NS or EW, and the wind is often NW, NE, SW or SE, so it may never be your friend. I once plugged my weight, time, distance, climb (0), and the wind speed into a cycling wattage calculator and the numbers were astounding. And they were a pretty good match for what Wahoo said I burned in calories.
Have you ever spent time riding in WY? 40 mph in some places is a gentle breeze. Leaving Rawlins I met a guy riding east to work at a Sinclair facility. He said some days it takes him 20 minutes to ride to work and an hour to ride home in the afternoon.

Winters. No thanks. Crossing the country in ‘99 we had a day off in Minot. I picked up a chamber of commerce leaflet or something. It listed the average daily high for February as something like 18 degrees.

For me, the neatest part about riding there was the openness. I felt like the roof had been lifted off and that I was totally free. But for gravity I could have ridden up like Elliott did in “E.T.” And the sunflower and canola field were beautiful.
Old 05-07-21, 09:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

No mountains, but the scenery can be majestic. I have not yet ridden the Madahey Trail https://mdhta.com/ but is on the list.

I was going to say I liked the Corn Palace, but then remembered that's the other one.

Sorry. In my heart, I'm still a snotty Minnesotan.
Old 05-08-21, 05:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
That is good news for ND!
Old 05-08-21, 06:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I was going to say I liked the Corn Palace, but then remembered that's the other one.

Sorry. In my heart, I'm still a snotty Minnesotan.
I thought Minnesotans like to pick on Iowa?
Old 05-08-21, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I thought Minnesotans like to pick on Iowa?

There's 4 out of the 5 State Area to besmirch.

Minnesotan geography:
Iowa: cows and dead Buddy Holly
North Dakota: big flat empty with oil boom, gateway to Montana
South Dakota: dry North Dakota, weird tourist traps, Black Hills are nice
Wisconsin: beer, brats, cows, cheese, and cannibalistic serial killers

​​​​Note to OP: JK. Feel free to retaliate. I think it interesting that NDak is ahead of MN on this issue.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-08-21 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-10-21, 11:38 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
[QUOTE=DangerousDanR;22049216]ND is actually a very nice place if, and this is a big if, you can stand the winters. There is a delightful and vulgar YouTube video which starts "This is a weather alert for the state of North Dakota", and ends... Hey! No spoiler here. Look it up, but you have been warned that it is farm country humor.

"This Weather Alert will be in affect until.................May!!"

My wife's family is from (and many still live in) Dickinson & Mandan/Bismarck. Visited with her several times....in July!
West
Old 05-10-21, 02:13 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I've heard from reliable sources that General Custer's last words were: "At least we don't have to go back through South Dakota."
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 05-19-21, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I've heard from reliable sources that General Custer's last words were: "At least we don't have to go back through South Dakota."
I toured for 10 days in the Black Hills in 2015. For various reasons, I decided to not bring cooking gear, so I had to eat out. Apparently, the official condiment of SD is ranch dressing. It was everywhere. Even many of the veggies at salad bars were swimming in it. The day I did the Needles Highway loop out of Custer I passed a resort type place with a restaurant. One of the day's specials on the board was a salad with strawberries and goat cheese. I thought I had been transported back east. Had to stop for lunch there.

While having breakfast in Hot Springs I picked up a local paper. One of the front page stories was about the rising rate of STDs in the state.
Old 05-19-21, 09:42 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Wyoming has its own idiosyncrasies so probably not fair that I pick on South Dakota. I am very fond of the open spaces in either state. Tourists make a beeline for the Tetons and Yellowstone, complaining about the empty spaces on the way. The high plains has its own appeal to me, not the least of which is the absence of tourists.

Sounds like you had a great trip in the Black Hills. I've done that area a few times on a motorcycle. It's beautiful, the mountains as well as the bad lands.