Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I ♥️ bollards

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I ♥️ bollards

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 04:37 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I ♥️ bollards

This is oddly satisfying.

Likes For Korina:
Old 01-15-22, 05:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
If the car occupants were not seriously injured that is an epic video!
Old 01-15-22, 06:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
If the car occupants were not seriously injured that is an epic video!
That car had probably 37 air bags and a crumple zone. I'm sure they were fine.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-15-22, 06:41 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
That bollard must have been extended very deep into the ground to stop a car like that.
Your typical bollard goes only about 4 feet into the ground.
Old 01-15-22, 06:57 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Can't fix stupid and saying it once is not enough, sooo >>>

Old 01-16-22, 08:08 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
That bollard must have been extended very deep into the ground to stop a car like that.
Your typical bollard goes only about 4 feet into the ground.
They test those security bollards with multi ton trucks. It didn't feel a thing when that Audi hit.
Likes For Tusk:
Old 01-16-22, 09:10 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Now, if they could just use these to protect bicycle lanes, I'd feel safer Crash Test Month: Truck Hitting A Bollard - Bing video
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 01-16-22, 10:33 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
What goes around comes around

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2003...arked-bollard/
Old 01-16-22, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yeah, impressive.

However I didn't see the bollard until after the crash. From the driver's perspective, it's little white lights probably blended well with the little white lights of the Christmas decorations.
Old 01-17-22, 06:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Sorry, but this is a disgusting thread celebrating a disgusting tweet by a industry PR flack. Iride01 has it exactly right, the lights around the bollard are camouflaging the lights on the bollard. Putting those in the middle of a street is inexcusably bad road design.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-17-22, 08:25 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We saw these a lot in France, mostly around ancient city centers. They were all in places where the speed limit was maybe 25 Km/Hr. They retract into the ground to allow limited access. This one is in the old city center in Dijon.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3231...7i13312!8i6656

Drivers in those areas should recognize the light pattern and not go through. It seems that they do their job very well.
Old 01-17-22, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
We saw these a lot in France, mostly around ancient city centers. They were all in places where the speed limit was maybe 25 Km/Hr. They retract into the ground to allow limited access. This one is in the old city center in Dijon.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3231...7i13312!8i6656

Drivers in those areas should recognize the light pattern and not go through. It seems that they do their job very well.

Please look at that video once again. Between the wet pavement and the X-mas lights, the lighting conditions were horrendous. And no, I don't agree that their "job" is supposed to be imposing maximum damage on the vehicle and occupants instead of giving way. Their job is to be seen so people don't drive where they're not supposed to. Bollards are a really poor tool in this regard as they're one of the hardest things to see on a road, especially at night. They're primarily used because they aren't "unsightly" in the way an actually hi-vis barrier would be.
Old 01-17-22, 12:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Please look at that video once again. Between the wet pavement and the X-mas lights, the lighting conditions were horrendous. And no, I don't agree that their "job" is supposed to be imposing maximum damage on the vehicle and occupants instead of giving way. Their job is to be seen so people don't drive where they're not supposed to. Bollards are a really poor tool in this regard as they're one of the hardest things to see on a road, especially at night. They're primarily used because they aren't "unsightly" in the way an actually hi-vis barrier would be.
Unfortunately, that part of the world has had some bouts with intentional bollard and city-center ramming in order to inflict murder on people gathered in those city centers.

With many things, it's the result of a prior incident, somewhere. And something serious. It's unfortunate a person would hit it due to poor design. But the job is definitively to keep the car from proceeding further. One cannot assume good intent, or assume the driver isn't incapacitated and charging forth. Given that, the bollard simply cannot allow the vehicle further. 2016 Berlin? Other events also?

More cost, but perhaps some tire spikes or one of those newer wheel/tyre entrapment devices about 100 yards soon to slow the vehicle before striking a bollard would be optimal. 100% prevention, but also prevent unnecessary injury.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-17-22, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Unfortunately, that part of the world has had some bouts with intentional bollard and city-center ramming in order to inflict murder on people gathered in those city centers.

With many things, it's the result of a prior incident, somewhere. And something serious. It's unfortunate a person would hit it due to poor design. But the job is definitively to keep the car from proceeding further. One cannot assume good intent, or assume the driver isn't incapacitated and charging forth. Given that, the bollard simply cannot allow the vehicle further. 2016 Berlin? Other events also?

More cost, but perhaps some tire spikes or one of those newer wheel/tyre entrapment devices about 100 yards soon to slow the vehicle before striking a bollard would be optimal. 100% prevention, but also prevent unnecessary injury.
I have to point out the obvious--if there had been anyone on the other side of the bollard, that car would have landed on them. If the job is to stop cars, there's lots of objects that could perform that function better, they just happen to be "ugly".. And if you are going to put a car-stopping barrier in the middle of a road, it should be conspicuously large AND highly visible.
Old 01-17-22, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

On a ride a few days ago I encountered a cyclist that had plowed into a bollard on our local MUP. Luckily for him it just knocked the wind out of him. I wonder if a video of his impact would have been just as spectacular. It's at the bottom of a twisty trail so unchecked speeds can be pretty high.

It also was a inconspicuous bollard that blended with the bridge it was guarding the approaches to. Why I don't know, a motor vehicle will have had to avoid other bollards at more predictable locations at the trail heads and intersections.

I emailed the city and ask them to re-consider if this bollard is really needed since no other bridges on the MUP have a bollard in the center of their approaches.
Old 01-17-22, 02:36 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I think you need to know that the World Bollard Association is a bit of tongue in cheek humor.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...rd-association

Also, it seems to me that if a person driving a car doesn't know what red lights on posts by the side of a road mean they probably should not be driving. Hint: those red lights have mates that turn green when it is safe to proceed.

I am perfectly OK with the concrete barriers outside the US Federal Building here in Fargo. There is no need to drive into the Federal Building here. But in the heart of the old city in Dijon? You have got to be kidding me! And in addition to their function of stopping entry they need to retract to allow entry. Those big concrete barriers don't have that feature.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 01-17-22, 07:52 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I have to point out the obvious--if there had been anyone on the other side of the bollard, that car would have landed on them. If the job is to stop cars, there's lots of objects that could perform that function better, they just happen to be "ugly".. And if you are going to put a car-stopping barrier in the middle of a road, it should be conspicuously large AND highly visible.
I think the job of the bollards is the stop cars traveling at much lower speeds. Just speculation based on a short clip, but it looks to me like the car may be going several times the speed limit. The tox screen on the driver might be interesting.

That the unit withstood that crash is impressive engineering. I think it wasn't intended to stop cars at that speed and I don't think we can fault those who designed the area. In my experience most urban pedestrian areas aren't protected by anything that would stop a car from flipping over it at high speed. Would Jersey barriers be any better in that scenario?
Old 01-17-22, 09:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
I think the job of the bollards is the stop cars traveling at much lower speeds. Just speculation based on a short clip, but it looks to me like the car may be going several times the speed limit. The tox screen on the driver might be interesting.

That the unit withstood that crash is impressive engineering. I think it wasn't intended to stop cars at that speed and I don't think we can fault those who designed the area. In my experience most urban pedestrian areas aren't protected by anything that would stop a car from flipping over it at high speed. Would Jersey barriers be any better in that scenario?

burnthesheep said they have to be built that solid because they need to be able to stop a high speed intentional attack, and when I point out that bollard actually did a bad job of stopping the high speed progress of the vehicle in a distance short enough to prevent victimization of others, you think it's an answer to point out the vehicle was going fast?

Jersey barriers aren't the ideal either. If you look at the structures around bridge supports and the like, they're generally filled with water or sand, which stops the vehicle and absorbs the impact.

TBH, I think the idea of crowd protection with bollards is mostly security theater as the most likely outcome if the terrorist is committed is to just shift the attack to the nearest unprotected spot. It's pretty much a practical impossibility to completely segregate traffic and pedestrian crowds.
Old 01-18-22, 06:25 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 789 Posts
I noticed the same thing as jon c. above, that car seemed to be going much faster than is allowed on that road. I would love to know more details about this incident....
Old 01-19-22, 11:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I noticed the same thing as jon c. above, that car seemed to be going much faster than is allowed on that road. I would love to know more details about this incident....
Details such as were the "red lights" also visible to the driver... does the driver understand what red lights mean? And yes, what is the speed limit on that road.
Old 01-19-22, 12:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Bollards at sidewalks would have saved a lot of lives several years ago in Toronto when a driver drove along it running over many people.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 01-19-22, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Bollards at sidewalks would have saved a lot of lives several years ago in Toronto when a driver drove along it running over many people.
Well there is the answer! <sarcasm> We should put bollards everywhere and fully separate motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Old 01-19-22, 01:44 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Details such as were the "red lights" also visible to the driver... does the driver understand what red lights mean? And yes, what is the speed limit on that road.
Yes, I don't know where this video is from but the tall posts to either side - with the bright red lights - seem to be a fairly obvious warning.

Presumably they're also shining in the other direction as well, can't really tell. If they aren't then sure there's something not right - but I'd be surprised if they were unidirectional.

I don't know about other folks, but I'm not gonna fly between two red lights.

Edit - looks like automatic bollards are a thing in UK and some other places where the council wants to restrict vehicle access to certain people or certain times such as a city centre. Looks like they tend to get installed with taller posts to each side - lighted red when the bollard(s) up and green when down.

Last edited by gpburdell; 01-19-22 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-19-22, 01:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well there is the answer! <sarcasm> We should put bollards everywhere and fully separate motor vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
Forget bollards as the solution. Don't you know the "answer" for some of our A&S colleagues is to eliminate motor vehicles and/or return to the life styles of the 19th Century?
Old 01-20-22, 11:48 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Forget bollards as the solution. Don't you know the "answer" for some of our A&S colleagues is to eliminate motor vehicles and/or return to the life styles of the 19th Century?

Sign me up!!!
Likes For sdmc530:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.