Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tight crown seal on Cane Creek Headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 05:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

I just got a frame that came with a CC40 lower headset (for a tapered fork). I'll be waiting on the fork for a while.

I was checking the bearings for smoothness and proper mating with the cups and I notice that the rubber seal on the crown race drags really hard on the lower bearing.There is no metal on metal friction, just a lot of rubber friction. Like really tight seals (which I guess is what this is)

Is this normal? Is it something that goes away with use?

I've have other CC headsets with the same design of crown race with the rubber seal (all were for 1-1/8" straight steerers) and all those turned pretty freely, just the slightest seal drag.

Thanks
Old 01-23-22, 05:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Have you pulled the lower bearing's seal? Is the grease in good shape?

When new, seals have more range of tight fit than the internal bearings do. So, this might be within normal specs. Generally, once installed and the bike assembled tight seals are not noticed during the ride. Andy
Old 01-23-22, 06:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Have you pulled the lower bearing's seal? Is the grease in good shape?

When new, seals have more range of tight fit than the internal bearings do. So, this might be within normal specs. Generally, once installed and the bike assembled tight seals are not noticed during the ride. Andy
Its not the bearing itself. This has a cartridge bearing, and that itself spins freely, even under load.

t the issue is the drag of the seal on the crown race against the bearing. Cane Creek headsets have a crown race with an integrated seal.

Old 01-23-22, 06:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have Cane Creek 40 headsets on two bikes and, yes the seal on the crown race does drag noticeably on the edge of the lower cup. However, you will never notice it while riding and it does serve to keep dirt and water out of the bearings, I consider it a feature, not a bug.
Old 01-23-22, 06:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by HillRider
I have Cane Creek 40 headsets on two bikes and, yes the seal on the crown race does drag noticeably on the edge of the lower cup. However, you will never notice it while riding and it does serve to keep dirt and water out of the bearings, I consider it a feature, not a bug.
Cool, that is what I wanted to know.