Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to change position when moving to shorter cranks

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to change position when moving to shorter cranks

Old 11-18-20, 05:33 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Good for you. Then read my post 15. Crank length doesn't matter. Saddle position is the same regardless of crank length. One fits for balance, thus for you to keep balance the same, you want the same setback w/r to your BB with any crank length. Zinn is fitting for KOPS, which is old tech and doesn't even work for many people. Zinn would have you fit for KOPS, thus changing both balance and reach. That's not the norm anymore.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/
Incorrect.

The zinn example was there to show movement of saddle necessary to keep same relative position when changing crank length I didn't say anything about kops, just the nominal direction of moving the saddle when trying to keep the knee-pedal-foot relationship the same.

You're answering a question I never asked. More power to ya!

Edit : wrote Hogg earlier but meant zinn. Corrected above.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 11-18-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-18-20, 06:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Incorrect.

The Hogg example was there to show movement of saddle necessary to keep same relative position when changing crank length I didn't say anything about kops, just the nominal direction of moving the saddle when trying to keep the knee-pedal-foot relationship the same.

I mentioned KOPS, didn't know it had its own acronym, but with any of these things you're just getting a base position. There was a wonderful piece years ago about USA cycling developing an ideal crank length and when they measured all the riders they were working with all of them were within a percentage of their recommendation but when they moved people to the "ideal" people slowed down even after training to the position. Yet as a baseline and allowing people to figure out what is comfortable from there you end up with the best results. As you ride you should always be analyzing what you're doing, if you find yourself sliding forward then move the seat forward, find yourself on the back edge of the saddle then move it back. Same with stem as needed.
Old 11-18-20, 07:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
I agree, but I fear the source of his problems is not saddle position but the fact his knees are not tracking. Any fitter should be able to fix that if it is possible.
More likely, the fix is PT, which the OP is doing. If the PTer is any good, they should be able to correct his knee tracking. It's more likely a mechanical problem in his body, not in his bicycle. That's almost always the case, barring serious injury. Change your fitness, not your fit is my usual advice. OP is doing both at once, fine.
Old 11-18-20, 07:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Incorrect.

The Hogg example was there to show movement of saddle necessary to keep same relative position when changing crank length I didn't say anything about kops, just the nominal direction of moving the saddle when trying to keep the knee-pedal-foot relationship the same.

The Hogg article and my advice and the advice of others is not to do that, rather keep your fore-and-aft saddle-BB relationship the same. You don't seem to want advice from anyone. Fine. You might consider that you can't keep the knee-pedal relationship the same. Knee angle at 3:00 and 9:00 is going to change if you keep the 6:00 angle the same. Not only that, but you'll be moving the 9:00 pedal forward by double the crank length distance in order to keep the 3:00 foot/pedal horizontal relationship the same.

Maybe you should just move the saddle back and forth without measuring anything and see where it feels best, in and out of the saddle, noticing changes in weight on the bars as you do so.
Old 11-18-20, 09:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
The Hogg article and my advice and the advice of others is not to do that, rather keep your fore-and-aft saddle-BB relationship the same. You don't seem to want advice from anyone. Fine. You might consider that you can't keep the knee-pedal relationship the same. Knee angle at 3:00 and 9:00 is going to change if you keep the 6:00 angle the same. Not only that, but you'll be moving the 9:00 pedal forward by double the crank length distance in order to keep the 3:00 foot/pedal horizontal relationship the same.

Maybe you should just move the saddle back and forth without measuring anything and see where it feels best, in and out of the saddle, noticing changes in weight on the bars as you do so.
Ahh, I see. Missed that earlier for some reason when everyone was talking about weight distribution and balance. I've tried going up and back to try to keep the knee position the same at 3oclock. Might as well try up and forward as you're suggesting to see what happens when the relationship about the BB is kept the same.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 11-19-20, 01:40 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Depends why you changed to shorter cranks.

Essentially, with a shorter crank you can preserve the knee angle at the top of the pedal rotation by making your saddle lower, or preserve the knee angle at the bottom of the pedal rotation by making your saddle taller, or you can do something in between, depends where the problem was (if any). If your leg was overextending with the longer cranks then obviously you don't want to jack the saddle up when you move to a shorter crank, and if you were kneeing yourself in the gut you don't want to move the saddle down with the shorter crank.

Personally, I like 170mm on my road bike, it works a touch better for me than 175mm since my legs aren't very long, but the difference between mainstream crank sizes isn't all that big.
Old 11-19-20, 06:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Depends why you changed to shorter cranks.

Essentially, with a shorter crank you can preserve the knee angle at the top of the pedal rotation by making your saddle lower, or preserve the knee angle at the bottom of the pedal rotation by making your saddle taller, or you can do something in between, depends where the problem was (if any).
Yes. I've been using 165s for 35 years or more and often buy a bike used with 170s or 172.5s. Sometimes, it's a few hundred miles before I swap in a set of 165s and the seat height never goes up by the difference but more like 2/3 of the change and the front goes a couple mm forward. Luckily, I always have a second bike to take the various measurements from. Regardless, the change from 170s to 165s for me does not relate to a 5 mm height change but more like 3mm.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-21-20, 01:36 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
I thought I'd share how going from 175s to 170s changed my positioning on the bike. I have hip mobility issues from an injury that restricts how high my right leg can come up; this consequently forced me into a very forward and upright position with 175s. Here's my old position:

With 170s, I was able to keep roughly the same saddle height ~5mm, add more setback for better balance to unload my hands, but was able to go substantially lower in the front: from a +12 degree 120mm stem to a -6 degree 100mm stem w/ ~20mm fewer spacers. New position (forgive the dirty bike, I just went outside to snap a photo for this post):

So for me, going to a shorter crank length enabled me to be both more comfortable and more aero/aggressive. All this to say, experiment with your positioning now that you've got shorter cranks and see what works best for you.
Old 11-21-20, 04:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by RNAV
I thought I'd share how going from 175s to 170s changed my positioning on the bike. I have hip mobility issues from an injury that restricts how high my right leg can come up; this consequently forced me into a very forward and upright position with 175s. Here's my old position:

With 170s, I was able to keep roughly the same saddle height ~5mm, add more setback for better balance to unload my hands, but was able to go substantially lower in the front: from a +12 degree 120mm stem to a -6 degree 100mm stem w/ ~20mm fewer spacers. New position (forgive the dirty bike, I just went outside to snap a photo for this post):

So for me, going to a shorter crank length enabled me to be both more comfortable and more aero/aggressive. All this to say, experiment with your positioning now that you've got shorter cranks and see what works best for you.
I'm having a hard time understanding how lowering your knee by ~3/16" allowed you to drop your bars by what looks like 3" as well as further closing your hip angle by going to a setback seatpost. From your post, I'd assume that your hip issue was that your hip angle had a minimum limit.
Old 11-21-20, 11:59 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding how lowering your knee by ~3/16" allowed you to drop your bars by what looks like 3" as well as further closing your hip angle by going to a setback seatpost. From your post, I'd assume that your hip issue was that your hip angle had a minimum limit.
he went from 120mm stem to 100mm, 20mm shorter reach does wonders
Old 11-22-20, 10:13 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
he went from 120mm stem to 100mm, 20mm shorter reach does wonders
Actually I think he increased his reach and by a good bit. It's a slightly shorter stem alright, but he moved his bars down 18°, plus he moved his spacers from under the stem to on top of it and moved his saddle back. If you feel like it. print the two photos and draw it out.

Note that I'm not criticizing RVAV. I'm just pointing out that shorter cranks may have had little to do with his ability to reposition himself on his bike. His new fit looks excellent, absolutely what a road bike is supposed to look like. I know several folks who've become more comfortable on their bikes after lowering their bars and increasing reach. It works.
Old 11-22-20, 11:49 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Actually I think he increased his reach and by a good bit. It's a slightly shorter stem alright, but he moved his bars down 18°, plus he moved his spacers from under the stem to on top of it and moved his saddle back. If you feel like it. print the two photos and draw it out.

Note that I'm not criticizing RVAV. I'm just pointing out that shorter cranks may have had little to do with his ability to reposition himself on his bike. His new fit looks excellent, absolutely what a road bike is supposed to look like. I know several folks who've become more comfortable on their bikes after lowering their bars and increasing reach. It works.
Have at it.

https://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
Old 11-22-20, 12:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by colnago62
"Privacy error." I.e. this page replied in a suspicious manner. I'm not going to try to get past the block. My antivirus didn't like that PHP.
Old 11-22-20, 03:28 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
"Privacy error." I.e. this page replied in a suspicious manner. I'm not going to try to get past the block. My antivirus didn't like that PHP.
I have used this site before when I was trying to adjust the cockpit on my track bike. It is the first site that pops up when doing a Goggle search stem comparison tool. There are a bunch of other sites that can tell you the difference in reach and height of two stems.
Old 11-22-20, 04:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have used this site before when I was trying to adjust the cockpit on my track bike. It is the first site that pops up when doing a Goggle search stem comparison tool. There are a bunch of other sites that can tell you the difference in reach and height of two stems.
So this is odd and I wonder what's up with that: I searched, found that same website, and it came right up. Bookmarked and thanks. I've tried both methods twice, same result.

Answer: reach is the same, except that tilting the bars down until level moved the hoods further away and of course moving the saddle back..