Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thin, warm glove liner

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Thin, warm glove liner

Old 11-30-20, 07:48 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Thin, warm glove liner

I have been looking for good warm, thin glove liners to wear under my Sealskinz lobster gloves. Most of the gloves I see online appear to thick to fit in the glove. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-30-20, 07:52 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Silk liner gloves, or for a little thicker: some merino liner gloves.

Or if neither of those satisfy you, some longfingered normal cycling gloves?
Old 11-30-20, 08:06 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
I've been using these for a couple winters now...

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/freez...r-glove-liners

Much motorcycle gear/liners translate well to cycling.
Old 11-30-20, 10:51 PM
jskash

Thank you. I will look into these gloves.
Old 12-01-20, 01:24 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
picked up some r.e.i. liner gloves last year. think they were $14.99 or so. used them about 7-8 times in the last year on their own or in combo with
pearl izumi full fingered gloves and they've been perfect.
Old 12-01-20, 06:18 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I have been looking for good warm, thin glove liners to wear under my Sealskinz lobster gloves. Most of the gloves I see online appear to thick to fit in the glove. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.
Can you say a little bit more about what your conditions are like in your area and what you're looking for? Because temperatures vary by region and people have different preferences?

I have light-weight Bontrager gloves that I wear until about 40F and then a pair of heavy Perl Izumi gloves for temperatures below that. I tend to avoid wearing gloves underneath my gloves because that can cut down on the blood circulation, which can actually intensify the cold sensation
Old 12-01-20, 09:47 AM
jskash

I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles in the west end of the San Fernando Valley. The coldest temp I have ridden so far this fall is 36. My ride starts at 5:00 AM before the sun comes up. The Sealskinz gloves have done a better job of keeping my hands from freezing. I also have the tendency to get chilblains on my fingers and toes.

Last edited by jskash; 12-01-20 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-01-20, 01:36 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash
I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles in the west end of the San Fernando Valley. The coldest temp I have ridden so far this fall is 36. My ride starts at 5:00 AM before the sun comes up. The Sealskinz gloves have done a better job of keeping my hands from freezing. I also have the tendency to get chilblains on my fingers and toes.
I don't know about SealSkinz. I've cycled one hour into 0F conditions and my hands were sweating when I took off the Perl Izumis. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...SABEgJ3qfD_BwE

I know other members who do or used to visit here a lot think very highly of bar mitts.

Last edited by parkbrav; 12-01-20 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-02-20, 05:23 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
None of those liners really keep you warmer. At best they just allow you to swap them out every 30-60min to remove some moisture. I've suggest getting some bigger shell gloves - like +2 sizes larger. Then wear some liners that will actually keep you warmer - I've had great luck with Black Diamond Gridtech (polartech grid fleece), which has some structure to force air gaps inside the glove. The Lightweight ones might be good for your current setup https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...01033_cfg.html
Likes For jfranci3:
Old 12-05-20, 01:03 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Size is key: do not use your regular glove (size), go larger. My experience is that it is especially important that the liner is not too tight in the glove, allow the liner a little bit of air.

Size is key, liner: rather a bit tighter than too loose. Not a must but I do like that a liner kinda sticks to your hand and is therefore hardly pulled out when you take off your glove.

Another point of attention when choosing a liner is the length of its cuff.
Long is warmer, but sometimes an inconvenience. Maybe you have a "thick wrist" already because of your layering, or the sleeve has become too narrow to slide the liner in all the way.

TIP
On cool days, e.g. late autumn, I dare to use a thin liner with a thin somewhat wind-resistant full fingers glove. Because a winter glove is still too warm. So liner in the chilly morning, no liner (layer) on the way back in the afternoon when it is warmer.
Likes For Bikewolf:
Old 12-05-20, 04:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
My glove liners got bunched up quickly which was uncomfortable. I can't figure out how to use glove liners. I just use gloves that are good enough. I have lobster claw gloves which are pretty good for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: