Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does anyone carry bikes on a sports car?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does anyone carry bikes on a sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 12:19 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Old 07-15-21, 01:45 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I absolutely detest those racks. As someone who worked in a glass shop, there is no way I would put a rack on the back glass. Such a bad idea.
agreed. I don't think that's a great idea to use one of those sucker things on glass.
Old 07-15-21, 01:50 PM
sean.hwy

I have an ND2 miata like the one above. I thought about getting the hide hitch and bike rack. Instead I went with a used rav4 v6 awd. If you have parking at your place I would just get a used v6 awd rav4. I have a hitch on the back for two bikes but if I have to go inside ( store/dinner/etc.. ) I can put both bikes inside with their wheels on. I have three moving blankets in the back and just make a big mack with the bikes. with the last moving blanket on you can't even tell there's anything in the car with the tinted windows etc..
Old 07-15-21, 05:05 PM
Sertsa

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
They make receiver hitches for pretty much every car made.

https://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.ht...gaAqb-EALw_wcB

super easy to install, inexpensive to get installed at a local muffler shop. Bought a hitch and rack for my Mazda 3 for $250 total. Never had an issue carrying up to 3 bikes.
I've been looking at options for my 2012 Mazda 3, as putting my bike in the back isn't the best option for either. I've been debating between the hitch or roof bars route. Did you go with the 2" or 1.25" hitch?

I almost bought a SeaSucker yesterday. Was even close to clicking "checkout" when part of my brain went "$300+ for suction cups? What are you doing?"

Originally Posted by raceboy
The answer is spelled WRX. Subaru WRX. From track days to highways, Rallycross offroad events to bike hauler, this one does it all.
I nearly bought a WRX a few years ago. Before doing so I asked my insurance company for a quote. Ouch. I don't remember the exact number, but my response was, "Whoa. How much is a Corvette?" "Less than that," the agent responded. I've since switched insurance companies, but I haven't asked what they charge. On a related note, I also nearly bought a Legacy GT, and the insurance was even reasonable. It had some questionable modifications, however, so I passed. Still sometimes think I should have gotten it.
Old 07-15-21, 06:16 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
I've been looking at options for my 2012 Mazda 3, as putting my bike in the back isn't the best option for either. I've been debating between the hitch or roof bars route. Did you go with the 2" or 1.25" hitch?
1 1/4

Not sure if they make a 2" for the Mazda 3. I think that implies a tow rating way beyond what the small sedan can do. I bought a Harbor Freight utility trailer which I tow with the 3. Works well for local trips to the landfill or the home store.

At any rate the 1 1/4 rack came with adapters to fit a 2" receiver. Used the same rack on the minivan with the larger receiver. think the smaller receiver is the better choice in that regard.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-15-21, 07:28 PM
Sertsa

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
1 1/4

Not sure if they make a 2" for the Mazda 3. I think that implies a tow rating way beyond what the small sedan can do. I bought a Harbor Freight utility trailer which I tow with the 3. Works well for local trips to the landfill or the home store.

At any rate the 1 1/4 rack came with adapters to fit a 2" receiver. Used the same rack on the minivan with the larger receiver. think the smaller receiver is the better choice in that regard.
Thanks. I don't plan on towing, just carry a bike rack with one or two bikes..
Old 07-15-21, 09:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts

I nearly bought a WRX a few years ago. Before doing so I asked my insurance company for a quote. Ouch. I don't remember the exact number, but my response was, "Whoa. How much is a Corvette?" "Less than that," the agent responded. I've since switched insurance companies, but I haven't asked what they charge. On a related note, I also nearly bought a Legacy GT, and the insurance was even reasonable. It had some questionable modifications, however, so I passed. Still sometimes think I should have gotten it.
I'm more about roof racks on small cars, can mess with the gas but they look good up there and are easy to mount multiple bikes on. The down side to 1 1/4 is that only the racks that hang bikes can carry three and they do a crap job of it in general. They don't account for kids' bikes, women's frames or any oddities while keeping the bikes close enough to scratch each other. I use a 4 bike on my mazda 5 and still have handlebar tape worn out after a long drive and only three bikes on there. Tray mount hitch racks are the best but only hold 2 bikes with the smaller hitch. Roof racks are the next best thing if only carrying two and the best if carrying more then two bikes on a small car.

I thought about being more sensible and tried out a Subaru Crosstrek with a 6sp. Wasn't driveable in my opinion; I could live with it being as noisy if it was fast or being slow if it was quiet. But since my 140k mile mazda minivan was both quicker and quieter it just wasn't going to work. I decided to be less sensible and went from the Subaru dealer to the Mazda dealer.

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I have an ND2 miata like the one above. I thought about getting the hide hitch and bike rack. Instead I went with a used rav4 v6 awd. If you have parking at your place I would just get a used v6 awd rav4. I have a hitch on the back for two bikes but if I have to go inside ( store/dinner/etc.. ) I can put both bikes inside with their wheels on. I have three moving blankets in the back and just make a big mack with the bikes. with the last moving blanket on you can't even tell there's anything in the car with the tinted windows etc..
I just have a lock on my hitch rack. When the family is going for a ride, or at least several of us I toss three on hitch rack of my Mazda5 and a couple on the roof. I'm not buying a vehicle big enough to carry 5 bikes on the hitch, doesn't fit my views on cars. But if I'm making a run with one kid to the track, or MTBing or just heading out by myself I much prefer to toss a bike in the hitch, drop the top and enjoy the cruise.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 07-16-21, 03:36 AM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I just have a lock on my hitch rack. When the family is going for a ride, or at least several of us I toss three on hitch rack of my Mazda5 and a couple on the roof. I'm not buying a vehicle big enough to carry 5 bikes on the hitch, doesn't fit my views on cars. But if I'm making a run with one kid to the track, or MTBing or just heading out by myself I much prefer to toss a bike in the hitch, drop the top and enjoy the cruise.
I would get an nd2 ( 2019+ has a little extra hp over the nd1) and get Hard Dog Hideaway Hitch for the ND .
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=608133

You can order with the 2 inch adapter if your bike rack is that size.

Mine is set up ohlins coilovers, 6 ul wheels with 245 tires. That's a lot of tire for 2400 lb car. Most fun car I ever owned. It's a tad noisy though.
Old 07-16-21, 07:45 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I may have gotten lucky, or maybe being a single guy owing four cars made a difference, but my new WRX was quite reasonable on insurance. But yeah, I've heard of people paying more for insurance than for their car payment.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-16-21, 10:27 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
On the car? I can put 2 bikes in the car. Hot Hatch. VW GTI with back seats down.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-16-21, 10:46 AM
Sertsa

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'm more about roof racks on small cars, can mess with the gas but they look good up there and are easy to mount multiple bikes on. The down side to 1 1/4 is that only the racks that hang bikes can carry three and they do a crap job of it in general. They don't account for kids' bikes, women's frames or any oddities while keeping the bikes close enough to scratch each other. I use a 4 bike on my mazda 5 and still have handlebar tape worn out after a long drive and only three bikes on there. Tray mount hitch racks are the best but only hold 2 bikes with the smaller hitch. Roof racks are the next best thing if only carrying two and the best if carrying more then two bikes on a small car.

I thought about being more sensible and tried out a Subaru Crosstrek with a 6sp. Wasn't driveable in my opinion; I could live with it being as noisy if it was fast or being slow if it was quiet. But since my 140k mile mazda minivan was both quicker and quieter it just wasn't going to work. I decided to be less sensible and went from the Subaru dealer to the Mazda dealer.

Thanks. If I go for a roof or hitch rack I'd prefer being able to keep the front wheel on. While I like the idea of a roof rack I'd have to make certain I'd not forget to remove the bike before pulling into the garage. I think that wouldn't be a problem for me, but my life-history is not without D'OH! moments.

When I last went car shopping, in 2012, Subaru and Mazda were the main contenders, although I was briefly wooed by a BMW and Acura. Living in a snow belt region was a major point for Subaru, but after test drives and other considerations I went with the Mazda. It was the least expensive car I considered but my favorite. My major concern was that Mazdas have a history of rusting in salt-road areas, but the company seems to have addressed that. Mine is thankfully still fine. I do wish I'd opted for a hatch and a brighter color choice, but it's been a fantastic car so far. It's fun and nimble--especially with a manual--without drawing too much attention. I suspect it'll be both my last car with a manual and a gasoline engine.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I may have gotten lucky, or maybe being a single guy owing four cars made a difference, but my new WRX was quite reasonable on insurance. But yeah, I've heard of people paying more for insurance than for their car payment.
I'm especially surprised by that given your location. Maybe the insurance companies figure traffic congestion is so high you have limited opportunities for ludicrous speed? Or maybe more WRX drivers where I live decide they can defy the laws of physics.
Old 07-16-21, 11:04 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'm especially surprised by that given your location. Maybe the insurance companies figure traffic congestion is so high you have limited opportunities for ludicrous speed? Or maybe more WRX drivers where I live decide they can defy the laws of physics.
I'm surprised too and I even wondered if maybe the insurance lady mixed up whichever digit in the VIN that differentiates a WRX from a regular Impreza. No complaints here though.... I think my reasonable price was because I have it listed as an "occasional" vehicle, and my cheap Chevy Cobalt remains as my daily driver. I'm finally through buying nice cars and ruining them in Illinois salt (I keep cars for 15+ years usually) so I decided this new WRX can stay in the garage all winter. I have two rusty beaters to drive in the snow! I am 55 so that helps a lot too.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-16-21, 05:35 PM
Sertsa

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I'm surprised too and I even wondered if maybe the insurance lady mixed up whichever digit in the VIN that differentiates a WRX from a regular Impreza. No complaints here though.... I think my reasonable price was because I have it listed as an "occasional" vehicle, and my cheap Chevy Cobalt remains as my daily driver. I'm finally through buying nice cars and ruining them in Illinois salt (I keep cars for 15+ years usually) so I decided this new WRX can stay in the garage all winter. I have two rusty beaters to drive in the snow! I am 55 so that helps a lot too.
I can relate. I also keep cars a long time. I've had some "interesting" cars, and a few awful ones (a Pinto and a Chevette), but never too fancy. When I was younger I'd think about someday having a BMW or similar, but when I got in the position where that was possible I opted for a Mazda. I was surprised at how much I liked the Mazda during the test drive, though. Later I also liked how it stood out amidst the sea of BMWs and Audis in a work-attached parking garage.

I also used the money I didn't spend on the car as partial justification for buying a guitar. Hey, maybe now I can use still driving it after nine years as justification for a new bike!

--

Sorry for going off-track on the thread, by the way. If it helps, I learned that some modest cars with room to carry stuff can be quite sporty and fun, especially with a manual transmission and a good set of tires.
Old 07-16-21, 06:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Every make and model of car has a forum. For the car you have, or are interested in, look on the appropriate forum and use search for bike rack.

Old 07-16-21, 07:34 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
One thing I love about my 2019 Civic Type R is that my bike fits in the car with the back seats folded down. I can load everything up and go to work without worrying about someone messing with my bike. Im not sure I would trust leaving 2022 Tarmac SL7 Comp just sitting out all day for anyone to molest lol.
Old 07-16-21, 07:50 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I put my bike in the trunk of my small little Nissan Sentra all the time. Strip off the wheels and everything fits easily. I put the frame in first then throw down a towel over that and lay the wheels on top. Must have done it 300 times at least. It takes all of 2 minutes to assemble and/or break down.
Old 07-17-21, 01:09 AM
Bowie Beattie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think this is one of the most convenient things for people involved in cycling
Old 07-17-21, 05:46 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Wait, doesn't "Sports Car" sound like an oxymoron?
Old 07-18-21, 08:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I've always considered a sports car to be a 2-seater. Perhaps a "hot hatch" like my Fiesta ST? Of course you can no longer get a new one but maybe a 2019 or so? Or, of course, a GTI or something like that?
Old 07-18-21, 08:32 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I like the hot hatchs, like the GTI, for several reasons but mainly because it will hold a couple of bikes and gear in the back which keeps all your stuff clean and safe on longer trips and the roof rack works great for those short trips. IMHO, Putting an expensive bike on a hitch rack is asking for trouble.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 07-24-21, 10:01 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts

I almost bought a SeaSucker yesterday. Was even close to clicking "checkout" when part of my brain went "$300+ for suction cups? What are you doing?"

My WRX is unmodded and the insurance hasn’t been too bad. I’m not a youngster by any stretch of the imaginationso that keeps costs down.
Old 07-24-21, 11:57 PM
LSUFANDAN

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Full bike with wheels still on the bike in the civic type r. Size 58 bike also. Only thing that sucks is you can see those pedal strikes on the rear bumper. It pissed me off to chip the paint. Now I use the towels when I put the bike in and take it out just in case.
Likes For LSUFANDAN:
Old 07-25-21, 02:07 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
In 2000 I bought a new '99 Trans Am and it was my only vehicle. I would put it in the back like above^^^^^^
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 07-25-21, 01:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
what is sad, is that there are no late/late-ish model SUVs that you can put a fully dressed 29r MTB or 700C road bicycle vertically in it when taking the rear passenger seats out. Example: 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Ford Navigator, 2014 Escalade ESV
Old 07-25-21, 03:44 PM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Just got a Yakima High Road rooftop rack for my Accord (I know, not a sports car). If you have cross bars on top, it's pretty nice. I like that it grabs the bike only by the front wheel, plus a strap around the rear wheel. It does not touch the frame or require the front wheel to be removed. It only fits one bike, but you could install two racks.

I always used to carry the bike in the back with the rear seat folded down, but that required removing the front wheel which is a bit more hassle with the thru axle wheel than with my old quick release bike. Also, I didn't like that the bike could rub on things while being taken in/out or when driving.

The new rack does seem to affect mileage though, but that's not a huge deal for the places where I go.

Last edited by jayp410; 07-25-21 at 03:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.