Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Touching Gravel with a Canyon Ultimate

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Touching Gravel with a Canyon Ultimate

Old 08-02-21, 10:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
It depends but I don't think going 650b would help if you can barely fit a 34mm. 650x47mm typically has the tire diameter of 700x28. 650x34 would be way too low.
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have a feeling now that road bike tire clearance has expanded upward and road discs are commonplace, we will start seeing a lot of people running road bikes with CX knobbies squeezed into them at CX races, on the amateur level anyway.

It's not optimal, but if you're just messing around doing a couple of CX races each year, and your road bike can fit 33mm CX tires, why not go for it?
Bit of a late reply since the thread was bumped. This fact is nothing new. My first two seasons of CX in 98 and 99 was on my 93 Giant Road Bike. Did have one particularly muddy course where I have to clean out the Ultegra calipers part way through but the bike survived the New England/NY cross seasons and is still my back up if needed.
Old 04-16-22, 11:58 AM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
So old thread but I guess it still pops up if I Google the topic but the update:

I haven't really done much gravel but I did get 32mm Gravelking knobbies which fit with a bit of room to spare. 32 is fine but I'd really want something fatter when trying to do something looser. I think if I really stretched it I could maybe do 35 slicks but this is all on 700c wheels.

Typically, what do you think I could gain in terms of tire width if I went down to 650b? Maybe 38s or even 40?
Old 04-19-22, 07:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
So old thread but I guess it still pops up if I Google the topic but the update:

I haven't really done much gravel but I did get 32mm Gravelking knobbies which fit with a bit of room to spare. 32 is fine but I'd really want something fatter when trying to do something looser. I think if I really stretched it I could maybe do 35 slicks but this is all on 700c wheels.

Typically, what do you think I could gain in terms of tire width if I went down to 650b? Maybe 38s or even 40?
On my bike, I gain nothing, as my chainstays are parallel.
It is tricky if they do widen, because then they are not parallel, and on a smaller wheel/fatter tire, the wide point of the tire is in a lot different position. Its really hard to calculate or even guess.

Personally in your shoes, I have run 32 rear, used a good cush seat post (a small thud buster is amazing, but may be over kill), and put a fatter tire in the front - as there is typically more clearance on the front fork. In an extreme case, I've just spent $100 to get a front fork that would take a bigger tire. Like putting a shock on a mountain bike, the front is where you need it most (and will help with flotation in the soft stuff).

Keep in mind, the ETRTO requirement is 6mm on each side. You can go smaller, but if you do a broken spoke may put you out of business, and any mud on the tires is likely going to wear your frame down, so be wary. I went down to 2-3mm once, but on sprints my tire would rub against my frame - and rubber is stronger than aluminum (whoda thunk it?)
Old 04-19-22, 09:05 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq

Discussed earlier in this thread, but I'd be surprised if you gained any tire clearance by going to 650b. It may actually be less clearance than what you'd get with 700c. Also, even if you could fit a 38mm tire on 650b, the diameter of this would be significantly smaller than 700c with a 35mm tire, resulting in some gearing and handling challenges. Typical 650b conversion involves going with a much higher volume tire on the 650b wheel size (like 48mm+), which keeps the overall diameter similar to what you'd get with a 700c x 38-40mm.

For reference, here is a shot of a Canyon Ultimate chainstays with 32mm tire installed. You can see how the stays remain parallel with each other for several inches behind the BB, so there's really no additional clearance to be gained from running a smaller 650b wheel size:
Old 04-19-22, 08:23 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Helpful photo!

Yeah, it's not so much a comfort thing than a confidence thing. The Ultimate geometry is already a little twitchy (responsive handling!) with its short wheelbase and low front end and I haven't the CX skills to truly feel comfortable handling it on anything other than pact dirt/gravel with anything <32mm.
Old 10-07-22, 08:25 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Old thread bump - but I saw this news today that some pros are testing road bikes for the upcoming UCI Gravel World Championship race.
Mathieu van der Poel is racing a road bike at Gravel Worlds - CyclingTips

It's a Canyon Ultimate CFR with a Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 R9200 groupset and Dura-Ace SPD-SL road pedals. Dura-Ace C36 carbon tubeless wheels shod with what appear to be Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres in an assumed 35 mm. Article suggests it's possible MVDP actually runs a narrower tyre and more-aero wheel setup for race day.

Specialized has also apparently stated that it's riders will be running 32 mm-wide semi-slick (Pathfinder) tyres on aero wheels, possibly also on road bikes.

This might be an indictment on the difficulty of the course (or lack thereof), but it seems interesting to me that the fastest racers in the world seeking the fastest gravel setups possible are concluding that race-focused road bikes are the answer. Now that race road bikes fit 30-35mm tires, it begs the question - what is a gravel race bike anyways? These guys don't need super low gearing, or mounts for a bunch of gear, or more relaxed/stable geometry.

Also worth nothing (from the CT comments): MVDP has historically setup his CX and road bikes to have matching fit dimensions. This might be tough to achieve on Canyon's Grizl gravel bike, which has much more laid back geometry.

Last edited by msu2001la; 10-07-22 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-02-23, 07:25 PM
LittleMS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone tried this with the newer scultra? I’m debating between the scultra and the reacto and it’s down to the tire clearance right now.
Old 05-11-23, 01:11 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
This is an example of what can be done with an Ultimate on pretty technical gravel. It's also a well done video in general. I don't have skills to even dream of riding a course like this on a road race bike.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 05-11-23 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 01:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
This is an example of what can be done with an Ultimate on pretty technical gravel. It's also a well done video in general. I don't have skills to even dream of riding a course like this on a road race bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOkL1O-MkI
Tyler (The Vegan Cyclist) went with a Grizl for this year's edition of that event.

From what he said last year, and from what I've heard from my friends who have also done it, at some point on the course, you will be on the completely wrong bike for the conditions, regardless of what kind of bike you decide to ride.