Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-27-20, 04:20 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10952 Post(s)
Liked 4,608 Times in 2,114 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Some pool test strips have a hardness segment on them.
My buddy is going to test my water tomorrow.

Old 07-27-20, 04:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
and now I really get to creep on your intervals numbers.
Well, at least that puny W/kg will improve a little, now that I can log some outdoor numbers. I joined the 60+ group there: My God, such animals!
Old 07-27-20, 05:32 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,593 Times in 1,236 Posts
Yours don't? I thought everybody kept their bikes inside the house.
They are in a connected garage, so they're insulated and kept out of the elements, but I wouldn't call that inside the house.

Plus I'm currently living inside a condo built and furnished in the 'oughts, so there's carpet everywhere No real good way of keeping things clean.
Old 07-27-20, 05:49 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Districts around here have started to release their plans, most are doing K-5 full time with 6+ going to school 1 day per week on a rotating 6 day schedule.
Most of the counties around us, including ours, full online at the very least to the end of first semester. They’re going to reevaluate for spring semester mid November.
Old 07-27-20, 05:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Most of the counties around us, including ours, full online at the very least to the end of first semester. They’re going to reevaluate for spring semester mid November.
I wouldn't expect it to change. Google is keeping everyone at home until next summer, and I assume they didn't do that without reason. Saddle up, folks.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-27-20, 06:29 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
They are in a connected garage, so they're insulated and kept out of the elements, but I wouldn't call that inside the house.

Plus I'm currently living inside a condo built and furnished in the 'oughts, so there's carpet everywhere No real good way of keeping things clean.
Bike tyres are just as clean as shoes are

When I lived in Portland and bikes would come home dripping every day, I had a couple of plastic doormats under each bike
Old 07-27-20, 06:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I wouldn't expect it to change. Google is keeping everyone at home until next summer, and I assume they didn't do that without reason. Saddle up, folks.
Ugh. I mean, I can live with it, but I'm just thinking about the experience from my kids' perspective. That, and the affect on the economy if the hopes of turning a corner is kicked further down the road.
Old 07-27-20, 06:33 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Bike tyres are just as clean as shoes are
Tires make more distinct tracks (and shoes get taken off at the door, anyway).
Old 07-27-20, 06:37 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Well, at least that puny W/kg will improve a little, now that I can log some outdoor numbers. I joined the 60+ group there: My God, such animals!
Ha. Just console yourself with the fact that no self-selecting group of participants is representative of the whole.

The site has been really... interesting, though. In the week or so that I've been keeping tabs on it, I feel like I've become more invested in improvement. I mean, I had vague goals concerning power, weight and ultimately w/kg, but having this in front of me has only solidified the goals and the resolve.
Old 07-27-20, 06:41 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
I'm glad the youngster is OK!
When I've gone down, it's like slow motion, and that's how it was for me watching the boy, too. I knew he was going to be okay and I knew that I could (narrowly) avoid running him over, but I was interested to see how he'd react. I was glad that he took it in stride and wanted to continue on, rather than turn back.

Side note for the interested readers: the boy and I picked up The Hobbit to start reading after he and my wife are done with their current book. Should be fun.
Old 07-27-20, 06:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Ha. Just console yourself with the fact that no self-selecting group of participants is representative of the whole.

The site has been really... interesting, though. In the week or so that I've been keeping tabs on it, I feel like I've become more invested in improvement. I mean, I had vague goals concerning power, weight and ultimately w/kg, but having this in front of me has only solidified the goals and the resolve.
I have been sucked in up to the armpits.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-27-20, 06:49 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Ugh. I mean, I can live with it, but I'm just thinking about the experience from my kids' perspective. That, and the affect on the economy if the hopes of turning a corner is kicked further down the road.
I do wonder how it compares (stress-wise; the lack of going to school is different) to growing up during the Cold War with duck-and-cover, the Korean and Vietnam wars and their drafts and protests, polio, and the other massive issues faced in the past century that I brought up with AG a month or two ago but can't remember now. The last couple of decades (up until... something happened maybe three and a half years ago) were an era of vaccines, antibiotics, no draft, no soldiers in the streets either integrating Alabama or shooting students, and relative prosperity. That was the anomaly, not the standard. Unfortunately.

And yeah, I keep meaning to move my 401k into mostly bonds for a while. I don't think there's going to be meaningful (non-illusory/ non-bubble) gains for a while. The only advantage is we're starting to get ideas of what can be done, and what has to be done, and the jobs that can be done are going to be done and remotely. And as always, the marginalized people are going to be hit worst.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-27-20, 06:54 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

When I've gone down, it's like slow motion, and that's how it was for me watching the boy, too. I knew he was going to be okay and I knew that I could (narrowly) avoid running him over, but I was interested to see how he'd react. I was glad that he took it in stride and wanted to continue on, rather than turn back.

Side note for the interested readers: the boy and I picked up The Hobbit to start reading after he and my wife are done with their current book. Should be fun.
Good on him, on both counts. The Hobbit was the first grown-up book I read/ was read; it was a bedtime story several times in a row, and I read Smaug's lines aloud in what I would swear on everything was a deep voice but can't possibly have been. That was when I was maybe... six? LOTR took a lot longer for me because of the character count; I would have had an easier time with the movies first just to have visuals of the different names. I remember one of my ill-fated attempts to start reading it was thwarted when I realized Sauron and Saruman were different.
Old 07-27-20, 07:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have been sucked in up to the armpits.
Isn't it wonderful and terrible?

Honestly, it wouldn't be so alluring if I didn't feel such a very real difference in the saddle. But it's there. And it's addicting.
Old 07-27-20, 07:09 PM
WhyFi

I do wonder how it compares (stress-wise; the lack of going to school is different) to growing up during the Cold War with duck-and-cover, the Korean and Vietnam wars and their drafts and protests, polio, and the other massive issues faced in the past century that I brought up with AG a month or two ago but can't remember now. The last couple of decades (up until... something happened maybe three and a half years ago) were an era of vaccines, antibiotics, no draft, no soldiers in the streets either integrating Alabama or shooting students, and relative prosperity. That was the anomaly, not the standard. Unfortunately.
I've had similar thoughts. On one hand, I feel like young minds are more resilient and can roll with the punches better than those stuck in their ways. On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm leaning on that too heavily and I want to me mindful that this is the only childhood that my kids will have.

Good on him, on both counts. The Hobbit was the first grown-up book I read/ was read; it was a bedtime story several times in a row, and I read Smaug's lines aloud in what I would swear on everything was a deep voice but can't possibly have been. That was when I was maybe... six? LOTR took a lot longer for me because of the character count; I would have had an easier time with the movies first just to have visuals of the different names. I remember one of my ill-fated attempts to start reading it was thwarted when I realized Sauron and Saruman were different.
I didn't know any better and I jumped in to LOTR first. I ditched school to stay home and read it. And yeah, I had the same Sauron/Saruman problem. I'll use The Hobbit to get an idea of whether or not he's ready for LOTR, though I think that reading it aloud with me will clear the major hurdles.
Old 07-27-20, 07:48 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28567 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,311 Posts
And I'm always right.
Incorrect.
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Welp, it reset at 10pm here last night. 0000 hrs Minnesota time.
wut
Old 07-27-20, 07:50 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I made a grim discovery at the church this evening. Since I mowed the lawn on Thursday, a bunch of dead leaves have fallen on the driveway.

Autumn is officially here. The season formerly known as summer lasted a scant four weeks.
Old 07-27-20, 07:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp

I have dogs and a back yard. By comparison, anything that rolls in on bike tires is pretty clean.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-27-20, 07:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Updated seasonal breakdown:

"Summer" = 1 month
Autumn = 3 months
Winter = 5 months
Spring = 3 months
Old 07-27-20, 07:57 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Oh we knew. When they started saying “we’ll have the youngest kids the longest (3 days per week) in the school because it’s their most formative year, the older kids 2 days etc, etc” my wife and I were like “who the **** are they kidding!?”
The economy is effed good. I just hoped the kids would, in a limited way, see their friends once in a while. It’s even more important for them, compared to adults, to socialize growing up. IMHO of course.

....... when I realized Sauron and Saruman were different.
Ha! I thought the same till book three! Then I was like “ooooooooh”
Old 07-27-20, 08:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

We will keep turning the same dang corners, until there's a effective vaccine that's been administered widely. When a lot of people are getting sick, everybody's careful. When that passes, and new case numbers fall, people get careless again. Lather, rinse, repeat. We'll stop and start, and stop and start, and stop and start.

Right now, you couldn't pay me to eat in a restaurant, or go to a bar, or go out to a movie, or go to church, or any other indoor activity in close proximity to others. I'll probably hold the same opinion till I'm vaccinated AND they're sure that my antibody titer is sufficient.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-27-20, 08:04 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
There is no hope of turning a corner for at least a year. Probably more. Sad but true. Possibly never with a large chunk of the population refusing vaccinations when available. Then you have the (traditionally)corrupt countries, that can't even get everyday life together. Too much p & r? Mods please delete it.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 07-27-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 08:07 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3248 Post(s)
Liked 2,074 Times in 974 Posts
I’m really shocked they aren’t doing it here
Old 07-27-20, 08:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I've had similar thoughts. On one hand, I feel like young minds are more resilient and can roll with the punches better than those stuck in their ways. On the other hand, I don't want to feel like I'm leaning on that too heavily and I want to me mindful that this is the only childhood that my kids will have.
If it's any consolation, my Dad was 11 when the stock market crashed, and he mostly had fond memories of childhood during the Depression. Kids ARE resilient, and on the plus side, they're not working 12 hours a day in a mill!

My biggest issue now is what kind of country and world they're going to be living in as adults.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-27-20, 08:16 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I made a grim discovery at the church this evening. Since I mowed the lawn on Thursday, a bunch of dead leaves have fallen on the driveway.

Autumn is officially here. The season formerly known as summer lasted a scant four weeks.
That'sashame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.