Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Air cell cushion saddle cover

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Air cell cushion saddle cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 07:37 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
I linked to it
Ah, thanks. I see that I was ahead of my time - cutting a hole in various saddles to accommodate a crushed sitting bone.
Likes For kahn:
Old 05-27-21, 12:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
Seems like there is a very little threshold with air, at one point it feels like it's poking in you, at another with slightly lower pressure it feels too mushy. They can also be filled with water which doesn't compress like air. Should feel like a water bed then.
With water it might whick away the heat too much below certain temperature though. Gell is something in between water and solid so it doesn't feel too hot during the summer when not exposed to direct sunlight and not cold during the winter.
I just don't see a cover like this working well on a bicycle seat. On a motorcycle, with minimal air, the AirHawk is quite comfortable. ON a motorcycle seat though, your thighs are supported by some of the seat, as is almost the entire part of your butt, depending of course on the motorcycle. With minimal air in the AirHawk, the air lifts you over a larger area, taking some weight off your tailbone and sit bones, but not all the weight, allowing you to remain planted on the seat, with less pressure.

On the bicycle, I cannot see it working the same way. The pad will simply raise you off the seat, and I cannot imagine the chafing between the legs, and I am a thin guy. It looks like a bad idea designed by someone who has good intentions, but doesn't ride very far at a time, if at all.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-27-21, 09:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you need to put on a cover on your saddle, more importantly you probably need a fit and a better saddle (which your fitter could recommend) A saddle should only need covering if you are trying to keep rain off of it, otherwise it is already a single unit. A lot of pain can be caused by thing being in the wrong position, height, setback, angle, bar position (including angle) and other factors. None of which have to do with the actual saddle.

Also if you only ride occasionally you won't have a chance to get used to riding and that will cause pain and is not something adding a cover is going to help with. People have already pointed out the differences between a bike which you pedal and a motorcycle you don't (and also typically sit on with your whole butt or most of it). However that is quite important to note for this.

Though when I get sultry I may want that but I try not to get high temperature and sultry when riding. When you see goofy wording like that from someone who used google translate so they could pump out the product cheaply and quickly, you should probably avoid it. It is great for comedy but probably wasn't much R+D going into it just hey lets just make something silly and someone will buy it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-28-21, 07:11 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you need to put on a cover on your saddle, more importantly you probably need a fit and a better saddle (which your fitter could recommend) A saddle should only need covering if you are trying to keep rain off of it, otherwise it is already a single unit. A lot of pain can be caused by thing being in the wrong position, height, setback, angle, bar position (including angle) and other factors. None of which have to do with the actual saddle.

Also if you only ride occasionally you won't have a chance to get used to riding and that will cause pain and is not something adding a cover is going to help with. People have already pointed out the differences between a bike which you pedal and a motorcycle you don't (and also typically sit on with your whole butt or most of it). However that is quite important to note for this.

Though when I get sultry I may want that but I try not to get high temperature and sultry when riding. When you see goofy wording like that from someone who used google translate so they could pump out the product cheaply and quickly, you should probably avoid it. It is great for comedy but probably wasn't much R+D going into it just hey lets just make something silly and someone will buy it.
Well it's a hit and miss with everything not just things that come out of China so things like bad translation sometimes can be overlooked.
Now when trying out it on a Lepper Concorde instead of Selle Anatomica with carefully adjusted pressure it feels like floating, can't feel any pressure points or poking only gentle pressure fluctuations as you pedal, so the main thing is the right saddle shape and structure (matress spring loaded hammock) + air pressure which is more on the low side. Thin gel cover on top of it also adds some protection and makes it look less conspicuous.

Last edited by sysrq; 05-28-21 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-28-21, 07:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Never thought I would see “sultry” associated with “hemorrhoids” or “skin acne”.
Old 05-28-21, 08:39 AM
kahn

Well it's a hit and miss with everything not just things that come out of China so things like bad translation sometimes can be overlooked.
Now when trying out it on a Lepper Concorde instead of Selle Anatomica with carefully adjusted pressure it feels like floating, can't feel any pressure points or poking only gentle pressure fluctuations as you pedal, so the main thing is the right saddle shape and structure (matress spring loaded hammock) + air pressure more on the low side. Thin gel cover on top of it also adds some protection and makes it looks less conspicuous.
So you have now tried it out and find it a reasonable solution for saddle discomfort? You could just use a plain saddle cover (no gel, just fabric) to hide the hemorrhoids preventor!
Old 05-28-21, 08:50 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by kahn
So you have now tried it out and find it a reasonable solution for saddle discomfort? You could just use a plain saddle cover (no gel, just fabric) to hide the hemorrhoids preventor!
Not sure yet since I haven't tried it properly on the road and it might be just a confirmation bias/optimism bias. I will probably keep the gel cover as well just in case it doesn't feel right during more "technical" situations or due to any other number of reasons during the ride. It feels like it's just as good without the gel cover though.

Last edited by sysrq; 05-28-21 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For sysrq:
Old 05-28-21, 10:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Never thought I would see “sultry” associated with “hemorrhoids” or “skin acne”.
Think “humidity” got lost in translation.
Old 05-28-21, 11:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Think “humidity” got lost in translation.
You think so?

Though I never thought of my sweaty butt as "humid".
Old 05-28-21, 12:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Though I never thought of my sweaty butt as "humid".
That's because you have a better command of the English language than the person who wrote that copy, which is actually redundant since sultry means hot and humid, not to mention that sultry is not a noun.
Old 05-29-21, 12:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Now when trying out it on a Lepper Concorde instead of Selle Anatomica with carefully adjusted pressure it feels like floating, can't feel any pressure points or poking only gentle pressure fluctuations as you pedal, so the main thing is the right saddle shape and structure (matress spring loaded hammock) + air pressure which is more on the low side. Thin gel cover on top of it also adds some protection and makes it look less conspicuous.
If you cannot take the time to proofread with someone who reads fluent English and you are selling to English speakers that is not good.

Yes a proper saddle shape is important putting covers on it beyond rain isn't as they can and do move around which doesn't help your ischial tuberosity. If you find yourself needing to slap gel and air and other stuff on top that saddle is clearly not the right saddle for you. Also if you are worried about being conspicuous over comfort while riding maybe don't ride? I personally find comfort while riding to be of the utmost importance over brief moments of being conspicuous. I can find ways to secure my saddle and seatpost if I am worried but if I lock up my bike properly I am not so worried about that and then in the end I can just put a rain cover on it when I park.
Old 05-29-21, 02:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Not sure yet since I haven't tried it properly on the road and it might be just a confirmation bias/optimism bias. I will probably keep the gel cover as well just in case it doesn't feel right during more "technical" situations or due to any other number of reasons during the ride. It feels like it's just as good without the gel cover though.
"These aren't the droids covers you're looking for"

But seriously I think you are going about this problem the wrong way. You would be better off doing some research on different saddle types and maybe find a shop that has demos available. Specialized are quite good in this respect and have a fit system to help you choose the right saddle for your butt. Aftermarket covers are certainly not the answer to a comfortable saddle. There's always a degree of trial and error involved, but padding is not really the key to saddle comfort. Shape and position are the primary factors and only a modest amount of padding should be required. Too much padding can actually make a saddle unbearable to ride for any distance.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-01-21, 04:58 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Comfort

I`d give it try.

Seats that I found comfortable at age 17, are now unbearable pushing age 70.

Anyone remember the hydro seat or seat cover from the early 1970`s?

It had a water filled bladder.

Must not have caught on.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 06-01-21, 10:27 AM
kahn

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I`d give it try.

Seats that I found comfortable at age 17, are now unbearable pushing age 70.

Anyone remember the hydro seat or seat cover from the early 1970`s?

It had a water filled bladder.

Must not have caught on.
And it gets even better/worse when you are PULLING age 70!
Old 06-01-21, 12:15 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
This one looks promising..................

https://www.ergo21.com/bicycle-seat-cushion/

Or, at least an alternative to the Air Cushion.

Old 06-15-21, 09:07 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by PeteHski
"These aren't the droids covers you're looking for"

But seriously I think you are going about this problem the wrong way. You would be better off doing some research on different saddle types and maybe find a shop that has demos available. Specialized are quite good in this respect and have a fit system to help you choose the right saddle for your butt. Aftermarket covers are certainly not the answer to a comfortable saddle. There's always a degree of trial and error involved, but padding is not really the key to saddle comfort. Shape and position are the primary factors and only a modest amount of padding should be required. Too much padding can actually make a saddle unbearable to ride for any distance.
I already tried out different saddles, the Lepper Concorde felt the most similar to the one I was used to before, just had to cut out the central slit and soak it in a hot water and apply things like Dubbin to keep it soft. As I understand Specialized are mainly intended for racing and weekend warrior applications.
The key is what kind of padding depending on specific requirements. The air cell cushion one is supposed to even out/spread the pressure points while not creating pressure in undesirable anatomical areas.
Now after riding riding the one from Amazon for 8 hours there was only slight overall discomfort at the last 3 miles of riding. Previously was unable to sit on chairs for 3 days after riding. Whereas now was able to sit immediately without any pain at all.

Last edited by sysrq; 06-15-21 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-21, 10:58 PM
kahn

I already tried out different saddles, the Lepper Concorde felt the most similar to the one I was used to before, just had to cut out the central slit and soak it in a hot water and apply things like Dubbin to keep it soft. As I understand Specialized are mainly intended for racing and weekend warrior applications.
The key is what kind of padding depending on specific requirements. The air cell cushion one is supposed to even out/spread the pressure points while not creating pressure in undesirable anatomical areas.
Now after riding riding the one from Amazon for 8 hours there was only slight overall discomfort at the last 3 miles of riding. Previously was unable to sit on chairs for 3 days after riding. Whereas now was able to sit immediately without any pain at all.
So which one did you finally opt for? Was it the Brand: VANTEN. Did you just use it or also cover with gel or just a saddle cover?

I'm still looking but a friend is in dire need of cushioning.
Old 06-16-21, 06:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Love the text.

So much Engrish.

Yeah, I doubt this would be much better than a decent saddle and padded bike shorts. Again, most seat covers seem to have the problem of sliding around on the seat and not staying put.
Old 06-16-21, 06:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by cubewheels
It looks like ripped six pack abs. Don't want my testicles anywhere near that
Not that there's anything wrong with it.
Old 06-16-21, 07:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Now the only riding is every 2 months for 4 hours per day.
That's your entire problem right there. Your butt's not broken in. No saddle in the world is going to feel comfortable for you if you're only getting on your bike once every 2 months, and then riding 4 hours. If you ride your bike every day, say like for half an hour to an hour or so, it will toughen up the muscles around your sit bones so it won't feel like you're sitting on a brick when you do the occasional 4 hour ride.
Old 06-16-21, 08:20 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by kahn
So which one did you finally opt for? Was it the Brand: VANTEN. Did you just use it or also cover with gel or just a saddle cover?

I'm still looking but a friend is in dire need of cushioning.
Added some generic fairly thin gel cover from Wilkko. Gel cover makes it work over slightly wider pressure range according to information on WildAss page, so in hot weather one might not need to reduce the air pressure due to expansion. Only thing is, it might theoretically increase the sweating and render the air flow provided by the gaps between cells useless. Never had any problems with sweating on gel covers though, only on foam saddles covered with artificial leather.
Likes For sysrq:
Old 06-16-21, 08:25 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
So much Engrish.

Yeah, I doubt this would be much better than a decent saddle and padded bike shorts. Again, most seat covers seem to have the problem of sliding around on the seat and not staying put.
To prevent sliding had to resort to some DIY and stitch some loop tape to the gel cover since it had a slightly thicker surrounding fabric compared to Vanten while attaching some hook tape to saddle rails.
Old 07-18-21, 05:16 AM
sysrq

Now after trying out this thing for a second time it has become apparent that the increased air pressure in the nose part of the cover is pressing too much on perineum. Had to go back to gel only cover during the middle of the tour only to experience severe sitbone pain after 20 minutes. Unfortunately figured out a bit too late towards the end of the tour that you can bind something around the nose to stop putting too much pressure where it doesn't need to be. Then it started to feel a bit more acceptable. Even those air cell covers intended for motorcycle use have been described as redustributing too much air pressure on the front part of the saddle.

Last edited by sysrq; 07-18-21 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 08:11 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm going to guess that your fit and bike position are not optimal, and that's why there's so much apparent need to solve a saddle "problem". If your posture were corrected on the bike, it's likely that the saddle would then disappear beneath you. Remember that this is a guess. I may not know what I'm talking about...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-19-21, 10:13 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Loved my Airhawk when I was motorcycling but I don't see it being something I would want on a bicycle. The airhawk has air pockets with small openings between them. The idea is to get just enough air in it to relieve the pressure points, while keeping you connected to the saddle.

On a bike where you're pedaling, I don't think the air would move around fast enough to achieve the desired result. If a saddle doesn't fit your posterior, its not likely going to get better with any add-on device.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.