Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Spinergy Rev-X

Old 07-10-21, 08:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Spinergy Rev-X

Sup guys, im thinking about building a fixie and found some spinergy rev x wheels that have been converted to fixed gear. Don't know much about building bikes but these seem super cool, he wants 1k for them, why does he want so much? I see some on ebay for like 500. I heard they are pretty safe, but if they fail it can be catastrophic which is kind of neat. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bop...347346444.html Anyone ride with these or know people that do, how fast are they?
Old 07-10-21, 10:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
he wants 1k for them, why does he want so much?
He’s exploiting the rarity of a 2008 fashion statement. Flip phones are hot, too.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-11-21, 04:56 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
I raced on Spinergy Rev-X for about 2 years when they first came out. Never had an issue with them, but when I changed teams I was on different wheels due to our sponsor. I did just recently

pick up a project bike that has Spinergy wheels and not sure they will go with the build idea I'm going with. I'm looking at something a tad different. As far as the price he's asking that's really high for what I would pay for them. But then again as I tell others your bike and gear are only worth what a seller will pay. I'd be interested to know how long he may have had they list.
Old 07-11-21, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Did he smile while selling them? That is worth at least $800 right there.
Old 07-11-21, 09:10 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I had a set I used for cross a couple years, they were fairly comfortable for that. One of the rims cracked while riding pavement and warranty was a real turn off, company was sketchy to deal with. Then the reports of their failures starting coming in and I sold the good one off. Although I've thought they would be cool to cruise around on I wouldn't want to do any real riding on them any more. Basically the issue was that they would fail with little to no warning and the failure was catastrophic due to the lack of spokes, once one failed the wheel just disintegrated at speed.
Old 07-11-21, 11:24 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
My true experience with these wheels in the 90s scared me and I threw them away. A waste of money for serious riding.

​​​​​Merely pack fodder, I raced at the Downieville Coyote Classic mountain bike race. Best I ever got was 3rd in my age group sport category.

Anyway, after finishing the race and hanging around exhausted I looked at my wheels and the carbon fiber spokes were frayed like polypropylene tarps and each of the spoke blades on both front and rear wheels showed significant damage including delamination and chipping and felt flimsy to my touch.

I was alarmed and stopped riding them. A couple of years later I read about people being hurt fr riding them.

The ride was nice. This was before disc brakes and full suspension. I wouldn't ride them if you paid me.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 07-31-21, 02:09 PM
browndude3649

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
At this point they are for cruising and looking cool.
Not alley cats, or daily commute.
So the choice is how cool do you wanna look with spins on ur bare carbon frame, cuz they would.
Old 07-31-21, 04:53 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 48 Posts
I sold a set about 10 yrs ago to a kid who wanted them for his FG. I sold them for 250.