Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm sorry that I asked a stupid question. lol

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-28-21, 07:14 AM
idk what to say

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

yesterday i asked a stupid question "why are bikes so expensive" i wanted to know if i should invest in a bike thats top tier or just get a cheap one from craigslist for now. You might have thought i was a troll but i have more important things to do even though I was and still is super bored. so again sorry.
Old 07-28-21, 07:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Buy Used. I did.

Old 07-28-21, 07:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's not a stupid question but the answer is supply and demand. Lots of demand and reduced supply. There is an announcement here that Shimano just reopened one of the Asian factories after it being closed due to Covid19 problems. They are a major parts supplier to factories worldwide so reduced supply and parts shortages are understandable. It's really hard to find bikes new or used.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-28-21, 07:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by idk what to say
yesterday i asked a stupid question "why are bikes so expensive" i wanted to know if i should invest in a bike thats top tier or just get a cheap one from craigslist for now. You might have thought i was a troll but i have more important things to do even though I was and still is super bored. so again sorry.
Your question was not stupid, but some of the responses were. Your "casual" language and syntax were not out of line with what I see on social media, but it was significantly different from the norm here on bikeforums.

If you are still "super bored" a bike will likely take care of that; and a cheap craigslist bike will be even more entertaining since you will have money left over (hopefully) for any necessary repairs, or to modify and upgrade. I love riding, but I also enjoy "working" on my bikes even though I am not a great mechanic. Luckily there are some great local bike shops here to bail me out when I get in over my head.

I almost posted on your original thread, but by the time I saw it it had already become kinda rude, and then later, locked.

Back when I did photography there was a saying, "The best camera is the one you have with you when opportunity strikes". The same goes for cycling; just ride what you have or have available, because any ride is better than no ride.

Now get out there and pedal!
Old 07-28-21, 07:54 AM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I recently built a bike that costs more than the Blue Book value of my 2008 Honda Accord (which still runs perfectly), and have asked myself the same question... even though to a certain extent I understand.

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who also has fabricated carbon fiber parts (for a hobby race car). A friend of mine asked me to fabricate custom carbon T-tops for his Camaro. I knew how much work was involved, but as a friend, I undertook the project. I charged him $300 for materials, which covered probably most of the cost of materials (but certainly not all). The amount of labor involved was at least 80 hours. If I had charged for my time, say, $20 / hr, these parts would have been around $2000 or more. It's true that bike manufacturers have more volume, develop more efficient processes, and use cheap Chinese labor. But, they still have to develop prototypes, go through design / manufacture / test cycles, etc.. All of that costs money. Yes they probably make a decent profit in the end, but it's not like they can build parts for the cost of materials.

Like all industries, it's also about supply / demand. If people weren't buying high end bikes or components, the manufacturers wouldn't be developing new products or pricing them as high. Hobbyists with disposable income who are really into the sport want the best bike they can afford, so they're willing to pay up for lightweight high performance parts.

Still, even considering all of that, there are hobbies that are far more expensive than cycling. Car racing, sailing, horse riding, fishing (in a power boat)... all of those make a $5000+ bike look cheap in comparison.
Likes For jayp410:
Old 07-28-21, 08:04 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
This forum can be in welcoming to new forum members. I am a mod on an aquarium forum. We have. A group of mod’s just for new user questions. As a certain number of forum members like to hate on new users asking a simple question. They have heard a hundred times.
High end bikes have always been expensive
not in today’s 10,000 dollars high but expensive in their day. Buying a good used bike is a great way to start. Many local shops have good trade in bikes from people trading up or getting out of the hobby. Get a bike with a good gear range so that you are not struggling up hills.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 07-28-21, 08:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
This forum can be in welcoming to new forum members. I am a mod on an aquarium forum. We have. A group of mod’s just for new user questions. As a certain number of forum members like to hate on new users asking a simple question. They have heard a hundred times.
not in today’s 10,000 dollars high but expensive in their day. Buying a good used bike is a great way to start. Many local shops have good trade in bikes from people trading up or getting out of the hobby. Get a bike with a good gear range so that you are not struggling up hills.
Just a side note: this is why every forum has a search function.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-28-21, 09:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace, are full of bikes from Walmart Specials to high end bikes. My personal feeling is that if a bike was really good when it was new 10 year ago, and it's in good condition, then it's still really good now. So, really it's a false dichotomy to think you can either get a really good bike, or a bike from Craigslist.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-28-21, 09:18 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Speaking of grammar...
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-28-21, 09:35 AM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
So as you can see they will even attack me trying to explain the forum. They are just trolls.
I have been a mod on forums since the 19080’s and compuserve.

the search function

Searching why do bikes cost so much.
result

An the results you get not much help.

Oh I love the grammar dig. Classic forum reply and of little help to the poster.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 07-28-21, 10:05 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
So as you can see they will even attack me trying to explain the forum. They are just trolls.
I have been a mod on forums since the 19080’s ...
Since the 19-aught-80s? Back when they first invented the internet...
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-28-21, 10:07 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Your question wasn't stupid - it was just poorly constructed. Were you being rhetorical wanting to know why bikes in general are so expensive or were you researching purchasing options and were frustrated to find that models you would be interested in are too expensive? You did not include any information about yourself, the type of riding you do, the kind of bike you might be interested in and your budget. These basic details would have provided a basis for appropriate responses and some recommendations that might work for you. 'Expensive' is also a relative term. Since you did not mention a single model and its price it seemed that you were not serious about finding an affordable bike.

Last edited by Biketiger; 07-28-21 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 07-28-21, 10:08 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Since the 19-aught-80s? Back when they first invented the internet...
when people went to coffee places for their internet.....
Old 07-28-21, 10:13 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
Your question wasn't stupid - it was just poorly constructed. Were you being rhetorical wanting to know why bikes in general are so expensive or were you researching purchasing options and were frustrated to find that models you would be interested in are too expensive? You did not include any information about yourself, the type of riding you do, the kind of bike you might be interested in and your budget. These basic details would have provided a basis for appropriate responses and some recommendations that might work for you. 'Expensive' is also a relative term. Since you did not mention a single model and price it seemed that you were not serious about finding an affordable bike.
I realized that after I posted it and finished my 5 posts. but i wanted to know more or less if buying a top tier bike had that much difference and what would a good bike for its price point be. I think I'm going to buy a road bike of of Kijiji (eastern Canada's craigslist) just to see how it feels and if i want to invest more of my money into it.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-28-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-28-21, 10:14 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Expensive bikes is a relative question. I just did a warranty replacement on my old Madone 5.0. Bikes less than two grand are just not around. As the price goes up to a point they see there. But the level/price you get is what moves you ;-) . I test road a few bikes from $4k up there he higher just because that’s what they had. The SL7 with carbon wheels and electronic shift was nice. It was a size too small but I Sorta of wish for Trek would have said the SL7 in your size we have and nothing else. Would have been a great excuse at home even with credit from the old Madone. But they the SL7 was all that’s available for months. I had to get it to ride.
Old 07-28-21, 10:36 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I have been a mod on forums since the 19080’s and compuserve.
Since you are from the future, just let the OP know what bike he will eventually purchase.
Old 07-28-21, 10:38 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
The real question is what’s your budget? You can get great older bikes on Craigslist for a decent price. I have 2 bikes right now, and have spent less than $2000 total, including buying new tubular tires and period correct campy parts.

Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 07-28-21, 11:03 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
There is a difference between a $500 bike and a $2000 bike. The thing is, unless you get in to cycling in a big way, you may never appreciate the difference. In general, the more expensive a bike gets the lighter it gets, the better it shifts, the better it stops and because the components are of higher quality, the bike will generally operate properly for a longer period of time before needing upgrades and/or tune-ups. If you get the $500 bike, one of two things will likely happen: 1) You will be perfectly happy and you ride the bike for many years. 2) You ride the bike a lot and find annoyances that you may eventually come to realize that you'd happily pay to alleviate. And they you upgrade to a more expensive bike.

If you buy a $2000 bike, the same two things are likely to happen with item 1) being more likely. If you ride enough item 2 happens again and they you're upgrading to a $6000 bike. The other thing that may happen is that you may never truly appreciate how much better the $2000 bike is than the $500 bike.

This happens in pretty much any hobby or interest that I've ever gotten into.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-28-21, 11:15 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 07-28-21, 11:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace, are full of bikes from Walmart Specials to high end bikes. My personal feeling is that if a bike was really good when it was new 10 year ago, and it's in good condition, then it's still really good now. So, really it's a false dichotomy to think you can either get a really good bike, or a bike from Craigslist.
This is the key. IME most people don't look after their old bikes. So you have to know what you are looking for, which the OP doesn't appear to.
Old 07-28-21, 11:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is the key. IME most people don't look after their old bikes. So you have to know what you are looking for, which the OP doesn't appear to.
IME, lots of people don't RIDE their old bikes, so they don't generally need that much looking after.

Old 07-28-21, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,486 Times in 7,316 Posts
when people went to coffee places for their internet.....
People still do.
Old 07-28-21, 11:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
What do you get when stupid people ask questions?

(Could you ask for a better straight line?)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-28-21, 11:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
What do you get when stupid people ask questions?

(Could you ask for a better straight line?)
Frustrated.

Old 07-28-21, 11:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
IME, lots of people don't RIDE their old bikes, so they don't generally need that much looking after.
True. I just find it difficult being a mechanical engineer and seeing how some guys deal with bike maintenance. Definitely some bargains on the used market though - or at least there used to be pre-Covid!
I was just looking at the used value of my 2019 Defy and there's a very realistic chance I could sell it for at least what I bought it for new (when end of season sales were a thing).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.