Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choice Paralysis! Breckinridge?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-31-21, 07:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts

Family thing in Breck in 2 weeks. I’ll have room for one bike and time for one long ride and maybe another shorter one.

Road. Any of the stuff used on the Triple or Copper, and probably something else too.

Mountain. Not interested in a downhill day but still seems to be loads of xc stuff.

Gravel. Unsure, maybe something on the north side of I70.

It sounds like a fun place regardless of bike. Kinda a “no wrong answer” sort of thing. Also likely to be the one and only long ride I do in August before a century at the end of the month. So regardless of what I bring, I’ll go for a big day.

Looking for opinions with suggestions of routes or trails or whatever.
Old 07-31-21, 08:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Family thing in Breck in 2 weeks. I’ll have room for one bike and time for one long ride and maybe another shorter one.

Road. Any of the stuff used on the Triple or Copper, and probably something else too.

Mountain. Not interested in a downhill day but still seems to be loads of xc stuff.

It sounds like a fun place regardless of bike. Kinda a “no wrong answer” sort of thing. Also likely to be the one and only long ride I do in August before a century at the end of the month. So regardless of what I bring, I’ll go for a big day.

Bring the mountain bike. You can ride a mountain bike on hard surfaces. Yes, it is slower and a bit harder but think of it as training. You can also ride the mountain bike on anything gravel.

I’m not sure what you are looking at for gravel north of I70 but there really ain’t much close by. The Eagle Nest Wilderness and Ptarmigan Peak Wilderness take up a pretty big chunk of territory north of Dillon. You might find a little around Henney but not much. The Blue River Valley is fairly constrained to CO9.

Mountain bike routes to consider:

Peak Trail. If you are in Breckenridge, you can ride the trail down to Frisco (the fun way) and then ride the bike path back up to Breckenridge. Or you can go down to Frisco and ride the trail up (it’s a hump!), then ride it back down. Either works.

Baker’s Tank Loop. Ride up Boreas Pass Road (or park at the Rocky Point) up to Baker’s Tank and then the Baker’s Tank Trail back down.

Breckenridge to Baker’s Tank and Back. Similar ride but harder.

Boreas Pass Road. Fairly mild (and many would call it a “gravel ride”) but the distance…38 miles total… and altitude make it a tough ride. While you can ride it on a rigid bike, it’s far more fun and way faster on a mountain bike. On the northside, you can drop down Gold Dust Trail instead of the road if you want a challenge. Climb back up the rail grade for an easier return. If you have anything left in the tank at Baker’s Tank, you can take the single track.

Boreas Pass/Georgia Pass. It’s 50 miles. Start in Breckenridge, ride up and over Boreas Pass to Como. There’s about 4 miles of riding on US285 that’s not the most pleasant but doable. Georgia Pass is just a grind up to the top. On the down side, it’s is steep and rocky.

There’s also tons of mountain bike rides in the Golden Horseshoe which is the area east of town. Too many to list but a lot of challenging and fun riding.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-31-21, 09:57 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
your choice dilemma is the reason I ride SS/fix ... I'm always more certain about the bike i'm doin the ride on than I am about me doin the ride
Old 07-31-21, 12:18 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

This is why i kept my himod scalpel. It is my do anything bike. up top at Telluride, maybe there were better choices. But at the bottom etc etc.... the scalpel is a fun exploring bike.

Take your xc bike!
Old 07-31-21, 01:29 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Sure. Bring your mountain bike. That’s what most people do. That’s the easiest, most obvious thing to do. Lots of great mountain biking right out the door in Breck.

But, you, rosefarts are not most people. You do not do things the easy way. You, if I remember correctly did White Rim in a day on your gravel bike. You want an epic. An adventure. A challenge that most people would rightfully reject. You want to ride Mosquito Pass. On a gravel bike.

https://ridespot.org/rides/2285
Old 07-31-21, 02:21 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
The ride from Breckinridge to Vail and back is very nice. Stop for coffee in Vail Village.

Old 07-31-21, 07:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
It's hard to have a bad bike ride of any sort out in the Rockies. Enjoy, and post pics.
Old 07-31-21, 09:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by jack pot
your choice dilemma is the reason I ride SS/fix ... I'm always more certain about the bike i'm doin the ride on than I am about me doin the ride
Get a bike that limits your choices, so you don’t have to choose.

Cant argue with that.
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by blazin
Sure. Bring your mountain bike. That’s what most people do. That’s the easiest, most obvious thing to do. Lots of great mountain biking right out the door in Breck.

But, you, rosefarts are not most people. You do not do things the easy way. You, if I remember correctly did White Rim in a day on your gravel bike. You want an epic. An adventure. A challenge that most people would rightfully reject. You want to ride Mosquito Pass. On a gravel bike.

https://ridespot.org/rides/2285
I like everything about this idea. Unfortunately I probably can’t pull it off. I do crave epics, the less prepared I am, the better. I don’t think I can justify 8+ hours when I’m supposed to be there with the family.

I’ll keep it in mind, in case I find some random weekend free.
Old 08-01-21, 12:55 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
A gotta ride is Breckinridge past Copper up the bike path to Vail’s Pass, then turn around and pray your brakes work. If you’re in great shape, go all the way to Vail, get some joe and turn around. My fondest moment in all my trips to Colorado is getting to the top of Vail Pass, puking my guts out, and watching my brake pads melt on the way back (slight exaggeration for literary effect).

Old 08-01-21, 07:00 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I like everything about this idea. Unfortunately I probably can’t pull it off. I do crave epics, the less prepared I am, the better. I don’t think I can justify 8+ hours when I’m supposed to be there with the family.

I’ll keep it in mind, in case I find some random weekend free.
Bring a light. Start at 3am. Home before lunch.
Old 08-01-21, 07:06 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by blazin
Bring a light. Start at 3am. Home before lunch.
I think I’ll do it as a separate trip, solo, on a day I’m supposed to be at work.

I’m hoping to leave CO for the next year and this would be a great blowout.
Old 08-01-21, 08:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3936 Post(s)
Liked 7,257 Times in 2,936 Posts
Road bike or gravel bike.